PDA

View Full Version : Tried and true or something new...

transition2secondary
07-19-10, 19:38
I own 3 M&Ps (45, 9 and 9c) but picked up a new G17 gen 4 this past weekend (loved the feel of the gen 4).

Looking for opinions on the weapon light. I've run the surefire x-200 then moved to the x-300 on my full size guns and I use the streamlight TLR-3 on the 9c; great lights. Once I mount a light, I generally won't take it off, so swapping lights between guns isn't something I'm looking to do. So I'm looking to put a light on the G17. Should I stick with the tried and true x-300 or try out the Insight M3X? Consideration being given to the cost difference mainly. The M3X is about $100.00 cheaper but then again, I've always lived by the buy once cry once motto. I don't have any experience with the Insight products so I'm not sure how they compare.

Use may be everything from carry to training to nightstand gun.

Anyone running the Insight M3X and can give me a reason to switch it up on the Glock? Or just stick with another x-300?

Thanks,

rathos
07-19-10, 23:11
A friend of mine has been running a TLR-1 for the last year on his P220. He has put a few thousand rounds through it, carried it a bit with the light and its held up great.

I recently picked up a TLR-1s for use with my M&P .45 that is showing up this week. I am going to be carrying it on duty and after seeing how well his TLR-1 has held up I couldn't force myself to pay the extra money for the X-300. Plus it was $140 less and I get a strobe feature.

On the same token my beat partner carries a 17 with an x300 on it and its been great. Holds up to a lot of abuse and has a very solid mounting system. I don't know anyone running the m3 or the m3x.

I hope that helps.

loupav
07-19-10, 23:48
Just remember you are comparing two alloy body lights to a PLASTIC body light, which is also bigger.

I've had an M3X and an M6X. Once I got my X300's and TLR-2's I got rid of the M-series lights. They reside on the weapons of friends.

I've been very happy with my TLR-2 and I'm sure the TLR-1 is just as good. For light only, I prefer the X300.