PDA

View Full Version : CR123 Batteries Lithium vs Lithium-ion

RobinBones
07-19-10, 21:39
I recently ordered an eoTEch sight that uses the CR123 Batteries. Sooner or later I'm planning on getting a Light that also uses CR123.

Does any one use rechargeable Lithium-ion vs regular Lithium batteries. If so, what brands do you use (batteries and charger).

I know the eoTech is supposed to run 1000 hours, but I'm sure some lights really eat batteries (although I haven't done much research there yet)

Vic303
07-23-10, 09:41
I wouldn't drop in a set of Lithium rechargeables until I talked to EoTech about acceptable voltages. RCR123's usually are 3.7v nominal and about 4.2v fresh off the charger. Primary cr123's are 3v. '

You can buy 3v RCR123's but they are less common and harder to find.

problemchild
11-28-10, 23:11
I thought I would add to this even though its a few months old. They do make a rechargeable that is not 4.2v when charged.

Ultrafire 800 mAh 3V RCR123 Lithium Rechargeable Battery
$4.99

You need a switchable charger that goes from 3v (3.6 charged) to 3.6v (4.2 charged)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/4parc390reli.html

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=231

joffe
11-29-10, 03:11
Rechargeable li-ion batteries are less reliable than primary lithium batteries in excessive heat and cold conditions. I would not use any rechargeable 123 or 18650 form factors in critical applications such as a weaponlight or an optic. I only use loose li-ion cells in handheld lights for recreation.

problemchild
11-29-10, 09:48
I guess if uncle sugar is paying the bills but if you have to buy them yourself the new batteries are far more reliable then those of yesteryear. I use the batteries in every light I have and do not have any issues even in -29f Yellowstone winters during a 2 week visit. Every battery has issues in the cold even normal chem batteries. Also if you have a portable solar charger and need to charge batteries during SHTF these are the batteries to have. Good luck finding 123's after the economy collapses. Europe is collapsing now and its coming this way.

I would not use the batteries without calling Eotech and finding out the power bandwidth of the device though.

"Yes, rechargeable lithiums should be better also.

My understanding is the battery chemistry is the issue. Alkaline/NiCd/NiMh all have varying amounts of water in the chemistry, and so, at some point, the water freezes, which totally disrupts the functionallity of the battery. Primary Lithium and Li-Ion cells apparently don't have water in them, so they don't suffer from freezing until a much colder temperature (hence the -40 rating).... "

You are also wrong on the "heat" issue as well. They work fine in DV at +122f.

joffe
11-29-10, 15:50
So because we have a sample size of 1.0 stating otherwise, li-ion issues at temperature extremes are immediately invalid and shouldn't be considered? :rolleyes:

problemchild
11-29-10, 20:16
No actually I validate my own use with others saying the same thing on the net. I also made sure of the specs of the batteries.

You on the other hand think you can read my mind and know me, which you do not and chose to be sarcastic and demeaning -->FAIL

So because we have a sample size of 1.0 stating otherwise, li-ion issues at temperature extremes are immediately invalid and shouldn't be considered? :rolleyes:

Clint
11-29-10, 22:27
I'd stick with std CR123 because of the 10 year shelf life.

IMO, That's the biggest benefit of lithium.

I want to know that light will work after sitting for a year and a half.

Don't know about the rechargeable ones, but I'd guess they'd have substantially less.

Buy a dozen online and forget about it.