PDA

View Full Version : M&P 40 - Ammo or gun issues?

Ryan327
07-20-10, 06:03
I shot about 200 rounds from Georgia Arms that came in 50 round sealed pouches from a gun show awhile back and everything was good with them, so I decided to pick up the canned heat (1K). I bagged them into 100 round bags and have shot 300 of them. In each 100 round bag I've had anywhere from 4 to 9 failures to fire, all appear to be light primer strikes and after inspecting the rounds most of them looked like they had very deep seated primers.

Has anyone else had problems like this with Georgia Arms or should I be worried about my M&P having striker issues? I never had any issues prior with this gun for 1500 rounds of factory new ammo. I don't have any other ammo to run through it right now but am guessing I should go and pick up some WWB to make sure its just the ammo. This is my carry gun so these recent issues now have me questioning this....any thoughts/suggestions would be great.

BTW, this is an all original M&P 40 with an MPAXXXX serial number. I've been the only owner and the only issues I had was one failure to eject the first time shooting it (I just shot it right out the box w/o oiling or cleaning). After that everything ran smooth for over 1000 rounds and had one wolf casing that wouldn't extract (what a PITA that was). Other than those two no issues until now with the canned heat.

Ryan

javentre
07-20-10, 06:37
after inspecting the rounds most of them looked like they had very deep seated primers.

Got a pic?

Ryan327
07-20-10, 06:46
I guess I should have saved some of the rounds or taken a picture, but disposed of them at the range since I don't want any issues with those problem "rounds" at home.

The primer strikes from my M&P usually have a very slight tear drop shape on them. The ones that I've had FTF with are always just a slight dimple that is about 1/2 as deep as the standard primer strike I normally get.

After amassing a pile of them last time out, I decided to try and shoot them again and see, loaded 6 in the mag and 1/2 of them fired the second time...checked the brass and they still looked like a light strike to me though and the primers are always seated deeper than flush.

John_Wayne777
07-20-10, 06:48
Has anyone else had problems like this with Georgia Arms or should I be worried about my M&P having striker issues?

When dealing with remanufactured ammo, it's generally a good strategy to give the ammo itself the stink-eye first, as that's probably where the fault lies.

Speaking personally, in the last 12 months I've experienced numerous failures to fire with even new factory ammo including Federal, WWB, and even Russian steel-cased stuff. The quality of ammo on the shelves these days isn't exactly at a peak. When I've encountered failures to fire I've tried to collect the round, inspect it, and attempt to fire it with a second strike on the M&P and then if possible in another gun like my Beretta 92. So far I've never been able to get one to go off with a second strike in the M&P or with multiple drops of the hammer on the 92...meaning it was just a dud round.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the ammo is to blame.

javentre
07-20-10, 06:51
the primers are always seated deeper than flush.

I don't reload pistol calibers, but in rifle land, that would be correct.

In large rifle land ... Federal .308 primers are .127" (avg) .. and they go in to a pocket that should range from .128" to .132"

Ryan327
07-20-10, 06:56
I don't reload pistol calibers, but in rifle land, that would be correct.

In large rifle land ... Federal .308 primers are .127" (avg) .. and they go in to a pocket that should range from .128" to .132"

I guess I should be more specific. All of the rounds I shoot the primer feels flush to the touch and by sight, these appear to be much deeper and feel lower when you slide you finger across. Let me go sort through a bag of them and see if I can find one to take a picture of that I think will give me problems.

JHC
07-20-10, 12:39
I used to use Georgia Arms stuff and I have experienced this also in otherwise trouble free pistols with their ammo and no other. I don't use GA ammo any longer and won't.

JSantoro
07-20-10, 14:51
I've had more issues with GA stuff than I have had with other remanufacturers, but not the level of incidence being discussed. Ammo from Mac's Reloading out of Virginia Beach has worked out very well for me, to date, but that's in 9mm and .45ACP. I don't own any .40 guns, but in terms of general QC, I wouldn't place GA on any top-ten list.

Definitely check it against some quality factory new ammo.

calvin118
07-20-10, 16:35
I once bought a can of Georgia Arms 9mm, and began to suddenly notice that my previously perfect Glock17 was having occasional FTF's. When I took the FTF rounds home, I realized that they would not load in my other 9mm pistols either. Upon closer inspection, I saw significant bulging in the cases that was confirmed by caliper measurements. I also seem to remember a few dead primers.

That was the first and last time I dealt with GA arms. The Glock has never had a problem since then, and the evidence seems pretty overwhelming to me regarding what happened. I suspect that the same will be true of your M&P.

Ryan327
07-21-10, 18:48
I guess that I'll be getting some new ammo soon and making sure everything is still good to go. I'll report back later after running a mix of the new and reloaded ammo...maybe I can use this as an excuse to purchase the dillon 550 I've been eyeing!

NCPatrolAR
07-21-10, 19:19
GA Arms used to be great ammo. However after there was a serious issue with their Canned Heat ammo blowing up ARs a few years ago it seems their QC has remained lower than what it once was.

In general I avoid remanufactored ammo minus Black Hills blue box.

tpd223
07-22-10, 05:19
GA Arms used to be great ammo. However after there was a serious issue with their Canned Heat ammo blowing up ARs a few years ago it seems their QC has remained lower than what it once was.

In general I avoid remanufactored ammo minus Black Hills blue box.

^This^

Seriously, I have seen the same issues.

Ryan327
07-22-10, 12:45
I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch of 5.56 from them too. I ordered a case of 900 of the xm193 and then found a local guy that i bought ~1800 rounds of wolf from as well...

I won't be buying anything from them again...really need to start reloading my own anyway!

DarwinsLilHelper
07-22-10, 13:00
If your running cheap ammo you bought in baggies of 100 at the flea market...I'd hazard a guess it's the ammo.

(Just kidding.)

But seriously.

.40 S&W, with it's high pressures, is the one ammo I never go cheap on. I like the .40 round. I use it and carry it a lot, but unlike my 9mm's and .45's. I'm believe the .40 is much less forgiving of ammunition quality control issues. Thus, with the .40's I always reach deeper into my pocket and try to stick with the higher quality ammo's.