PDA

View Full Version : Slings for my 590A1?

Mojo58
06-15-07, 00:50
What tactical slings work with my Mossberg 590A1? I would like to sling it the way my M15A4 hangs with the Viking Tactics 2 point adj. sling. I've looked at the Specter Gear 3 point adjustable CQB sling. Any others I could consider? Do I need to get a separate adapter for the front portion that mounts or attaches to the tubular mag? Do you suggest I sling it or go without a sling? (from a "practical" perspective -- I'm too old for the "cool factor":D ).

Bonk2029
06-17-07, 20:06
I had the same thought, also with a 590A1. I ended up buying a Giles 3-point, which comes with the front adaptor, BTW, and then taping it up and using it as a side 2-point once I got it adjusted the way I liked it.

FJB
06-18-07, 02:38
Mojo,
Try a Mesa Tactical Mossberg sling swivel mount that is easily mounted on the rear of the receiver. Then if you have a sling loop on the magazine tube you can easily use a VT two point sling. Three point slings on a slide action shot gun (or any long gun IMHO) will only frustrate you.

S/F

Mojo58
06-20-07, 02:10
FJB: I hear ya. I'm not keen on the 3 point sling for a shotgun. I'd like to use a 2 point much like the Viking Tactics set up with an adapter on the stock and a side sling mount that I saw on the Specter Gear site. The Mesa Tactical, correct me if I'm wrong, requires me to replace the trigger pin?

FJB
06-25-07, 00:02
Mojo,
You are correct. The trigger pin is replaced with a steel bolt.

S/F

ST911
06-26-07, 11:26
I have the CQB Solutions/Specter 3-point on my 590s. I use it mostly as a two-point. Functional.

Mojo58
06-26-07, 13:21
I have the CQB Solutions/Specter 3-point on my 590s. I use it mostly as a two-point. Functional.

Do you have any issues with it hanging up when you go to pump your 590? Do you have the pistol grip or the standard stock?

ST911
06-28-07, 10:03
Do you have any issues with it hanging up when you go to pump your 590? Do you have the pistol grip or the standard stock?

No. Conventional stock, short LOP.

FJB
06-28-07, 14:36
Mojo,
Recommend short LOP (12") stocks if possible. Most stocks are too long for a fighting shotgun.

S/F

Mojo58
06-28-07, 21:53
I purchased the stock item (#51517). How do I obtain a short LOP stock? Does Mossberg offer the item? The term "LOP", does it refer to the length of the stock or the distance to cycle the action?

FJB
06-28-07, 22:49
Mojo,
LOP - Length of Pull: "the measurement, in inches, between the curve of the trigger and the edge of the butt stock". Many shooters naively think that the longer "American" LOP (13" - 13.5") is better. If they were competing at Camp Perry on a one way range they would be correct, but for fighting on a two way range a shorter LOP is preferred so that you can take into account body armor/kit, as well as a more squared up fighting stance. Hogue makes a 12" Youth Short Stock for Mossberg 500s that should work with the 590s. Both Midway and Brownells have them for about $46 each.

S/F

Mojo58
06-29-07, 01:23
Hey, thanks for your suggestions and help FJB. I'll check into that.

ST911
06-29-07, 10:10
Mossberg identifies it's short LOP stock as a "tactical" stock. It's a youth stock, and several guns shipped with it were marked "youth" or "bantam" on the outside.

I put my standard stock on a table saw and cut to fit.

toddackerman
07-23-07, 01:27
Mojo,
Try a Mesa Tactical Mossberg sling swivel mount that is easily mounted on the rear of the receiver. Then if you have a sling loop on the magazine tube you can easily use a VT two point sling. Three point slings on a slide action shot gun (or any long gun IMHO) will only frustrate you.S/F

+1 on that! I personally use the Blue Force Gear Sling with mounts on my M4, and 870. Both have QD latches to dump the gun if needed without having to get it over your body while it catches every little thing.

Tack