PDA

View Full Version : Videotaping police

rickrock305
07-20-10, 21:15
i'd be interested to hear thoughts on this.

IMO, if you can video/audio tape from your dash mounted cams, i think citizens should have the right to videotape as well. And especially in public where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/videotaping-cops-arrest/story?id=11179076

Growing Number of Prosecutions for Videotaping the Police
Prosecutions Draw Attention to Influence of Witness Videos
By RAY SANCHEZ

July 19, 2010—

That Anthony Graber broke the law in early March is indisputable. He raced his Honda motorcycle down Interstate 95 in Maryland at 80 mph, popping a wheelie, roaring past cars and swerving across traffic lanes.

But it wasn't his daredevil stunt that has the 25-year-old staff sergeant for the Maryland Air National Guard facing the possibility of 16 years in prison. For that, he was issued a speeding ticket. It was the video that Graber posted on YouTube one week later -- taken with his helmet camera -- of a plainclothes state trooper cutting him off and drawing a gun during the traffic stop near Baltimore.

In early April, state police officers raided Graber's parents' home in Abingdon, Md. They confiscated his camera, computers and external hard drives. Graber was indicted for allegedly violating state wiretap laws by recording the trooper without his consent.

Arrests such as Graber's are becoming more common along with the proliferation of portable video cameras and cell-phone recorders. Videos of alleged police misconduct have become hot items on the Internet. YouTube still features Graber's encounter along with numerous other witness videos. "The message is clearly, 'Don't criticize the police,'" said David Rocah, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland who is part of Graber's defense team. "With these charges, anyone who would even think to record the police is now justifiably in fear that they will also be criminally charged."

Carlos Miller, a Miami journalist who runs the blog "Photography Is Not a Crime," said he has documented about 10 arrests since he started keeping track in 2007. Miller himself has been arrested twice for photographing the police. He won one case on appeal, he said, while the other was thrown out after the officer twice failed to appear in court.

"They're just regular citizens with a cell-phone camera who happen to come upon a situation," Miller said. "If cops are doing their jobs, they shouldn't worry."

The ACLU of Florida filed a First Amendment lawsuit last month on behalf of a model who was arrested February 2009 in Boynton Beach. Fla. Her crime: videotaping an encounter between police officers and her teenage son at a movie theater. Prosecutors refused to file charges against Sharron Tasha Ford and her son.
Videotaping as a Tool for Citizens

"The police have cameras in their cars. I watch cops on TV," Ford said. "I'm very hurt by what happened. A lot of people are being abused by police in the same way."

Ford's lawyer, James Green, called videotaping "probably the most effective way to protect citizens against police officers who exaggerate or lie."

"Judges and juries want to believe law enforcement," he said. "They want to believe police officers and unless you have credible evidence to contradict police officers, it's often very difficult to get judges or juries to believe the word of a citizen over a police officer."

In Palm Beach County, Fla., Greenacres resident Peter Ballance, 63, who has Asperger's syndrome and has to record conversations to help his memory, settled a civil lawsuit for $100,000 last year. In August 2005, police officers tackled and arrested Ballance for refusing to turn off his tape recorder.

"You know what," said the officer, according to court documents, "I still don't want that recording device on."

"Well, it's on," Ballance replied.

"It is a third-degree felony," the cop said. "If you want to push it, you can go to jail for it."

"Well, I'm pushing it now," Ballance said.

Ballance snapped pictures of the officers. One of the cops delivered a blindside tackle. Ballance had to be treated for injuries and cardiac symptoms at a hospital on the way to the county jail. At the hospital, officers refused to let Ballance use his recorders to communicate with doctors, court papers said.

In Portsmouth, N.H., earlier this month, Adam Whitman, 20, and his brother were charged with wiretapping, a felony in the state for videotaping police on the Fourth of July when they were called to a party and ended up arresting 20 people, many for underage drinking.

A police spokesman told ABCNews.com that the wiretapping charges were being dropped.
Witness Videos on the Rise

Across the country, arrests such as these highlight the growing role of witness video in law enforcement. A dozen states require all parties to consent before a recording is made if there is a "reasonable expectation of privacy." Virginia and New York require one-party consent. Only in Massachusetts and Illinois is it illegal for people to make an audio recording of people without their consent.

"The argument is, 'Well, can a police officer beside the highway have a private conversation with somebody that they pull over?'" said Joseph Cassilly, the Harford County prosecutor handling Graber's case.

Cassilly added, "Suppose a police officer pulled you over and he wanted to have a talk with you. 'Sir, I smell alcohol on your breath. Can you talk to me about how much you've had to drink? Would you want somebody else to stop by and record that and put it on the Internet?"

Rocah of the ACLU disagreed. "It's not that recording any conversation is illegal without consent. It's that recording a private conversation is illegal without consent," he said. "So then the question is, 'Are the words of a police officer spoken on duty, in uniform, in public a 'private conversation.' And every court that has ever considered that question has said that they are not."

Rocah said actual wiretapping prosecutions, though rare, are happening more frequently. But intimidation with the threat of arrest for taping the police is much more common.

"Prosecution is only the most extreme end of a continuum of police and official intimidation and there's a lot of intimidation that goes on and has been going on short of prosecution," he said. "It's far more frequent for an officer to just say, 'You can't record or give me your camera or give me your cell phone and if you don't I'm going to arrest you. Very few people want to test the veracity of that threat and so comply. It's much more difficult to document, much more prevalent and equally improper."

New Video, Old Debate

In many jurisdictions, the police themselves record encounters with the public with dashboard cameras in their cars.

"Police and governmental recording of citizens is becoming more pervasive and to say that government can record you but you can't record, it speaks volumes about the mentality of people in government," Rocah said. "It's supposed to be the other way around: They work for us; we don't work for them."

Graber's YouTube video, meanwhile, has helped renew the old debate about whether government has a right to keep residents from recording the police. There is even an "I support Anthony Graber and his right to freedom of expression" Facebook page with close to 600 friends.

"Suffice it to say that our client is terrified at the prospect of these criminal charges," Rocah said.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

chadbag
07-20-10, 21:28
wiretap laws are bogus when applied to videos taped in public.

Can I sue ABC if I end up on the news for some reason taped by them? They did not get my permission.

Boss Hogg
07-20-10, 21:48
Looking at the video of the unmarked Maryland LEO who pulled in front of the (knuckleheaded) motorcyclist, that could have ended pretty badly.

As long as it doesn't interfere or endanger the LEO, I see no problem with citizens videotaping LEOs, just as LEOs have no problem videotaping citizens.

Business_Casual
07-20-10, 21:53
Yet another example of the state claiming special status above the citizen.

B_C

Honu
07-20-10, 22:11
yeah the dictator type control is getting out of hand I think ?

wire taps on terrorists under bush were condemned by the left

now we have assassination rules coming down
we now can have our cell phones tapped for no reason and our locations recorded for no reason ? we cant video police the list goes on and on !!!
things like the black panthers being let free for voter intimidation communists in the white house
snubbing our allies and again more and more BS

funny how the left rarely speaks up on these issues that the CHANGE man has brought on to us

freedom in our country is in trouble

NinjaMedic
07-20-10, 22:19
yeah the dictator type control is getting out of hand I think ?

wire taps on terrorists under bush were condemned by the left

now we have assassination rules coming down
we now can have our cell phones tapped for no reason and our locations recorded for no reason ? we cant video police the list goes on and on !!!
things like the black panthers being let free for voter intimidation communists in the white house
snubbing our allies and again more and more BS

funny how the left rarely speaks up on these issues that the CHANGE man has brought on to us

freedom in our country is in trouble

Really? Put down the tin hat and chill the hell out.

Belmont31R
07-20-10, 22:22
I don't like double standard laws so no.

I really can't stand the Britain style video shit all over the place, and government are the last people who should be crying over getting video taped. Hell out in the middle of nowhere intersections they have about 4-6 cameras on the poles. Add in video recognition software, and its easy to track people. If these people want to whine about getting videoed they need to dismantle all their nanny state shit electronic surveillance, and then Ill entertain their worries.

Seems like a lot of people are forgetting they work for us not the other way around.

Belmont31R
07-20-10, 22:23

If you are going to bash someone you might as well do them the service of explaining why they are wrong. Bashing/insulting someone, and leaving it at that does nothing. :cool:

variablebinary
07-20-10, 23:15
Public servants should have zero right to privacy when engaging in public service in a public place.

Furthermore, how many cops have had their ass saved by video evidence that "refudiates" bogus claims of brutality or whatever.

Likewise, bad cops need to have their BS aired when they get busted on camera so the citizens are protected.

chadbag
07-20-10, 23:41
IANAL and all that

but in another thread someone posted a section from the US Code about the legality (NOT!) of using your official position to deprive someone of their rights. Something like that.

Would not this be an example? A copy in uniform intimidating someone to not film under threat of arrest? These almost always get thrown out later, and the cops probably know that, but they are scaring the people into submission.

I would like to see a Federal prosecution or two when this happens to help cops who feel inclined to do this to have second thoughts.

Stickman
07-21-10, 01:07
wiretap laws are bogus when applied to videos taped in public.

Can I sue ABC if I end up on the news for some reason taped by them? They did not get my permission.

1. Depends upon too many things to say that broadly.

2. Not usually, the media is given more latitude.

Stickman
07-21-10, 01:13
Public servants should have zero right to privacy when engaging in public service in a public place.

I've heard the argument before that all LEO should have to wear video at all times so any allegations of misconduct can be verified.

I've also head the comment that all military should have to wear video whenever they are deployed so any allegations of misconduct can be verified.

While we are at it, lets hang cameras in doctors offices so we can check for malpractice, after all, doctors will make more bad calls than LEO this year.

A certain few people tend to post border line anti-cop comments on this board, lets put cameras in their houses as well.

Tell me where it stops. Personally, I think its already gone to far.

Irish
07-21-10, 01:34
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ny10_towns/hconres298.html

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Edolphus “Ed” Towns (NY-10) is taking steps to ensure that citizens who videotape suspicious police activity are not improperly prosecuted. Several recent news reports have highlighted instances where police or security personnel have improperly arrested innocent civilians taking photographs and video footage in public. To help raise awareness about the issue, Rep. Towns introduced H.Con.Res 298, a congressional resolution recognizing that the videotaping or photographing of police engaged in potentially abusive activity in a public place should not be prosecuted in State or Federal courts.

“We are all deeply grateful for the law enforcement personnel who protect our communities every day while respecting the rights of individuals,” said Rep. Towns. “With this resolution, we are making it clear that the rights of citizens are balanced with the rights of those who are sent to protect them. Too often innocent civilians have found themselves penalized for exercising their right to document instances of police brutality in public. With this resolution, Congress recognizes every American’s right to record improper law enforcement conduct in public.”

A number of court cases across the country have misinterpreted the intent of wiretapping laws and are incorrectly prosecuting individuals for videotaping police activities in public. H.Con.Res 298 strikes a balance between the rights of police officers to diligently perform their duties and the rights of citizens, as guaranteed by the First Amendment, to peacefully ensure that law enforcement officers are not improperly harming individuals.

Two recent examples in New York City further highlight Rep. Towns’ resolution. In Rep. Towns’ home district in Brooklyn, NY, citizen groups have come together to help reduce instances of police brutality by videotaping police activities in public. In New York City, video footage of police activity helped acquit an individual who was falsely accused of assaulting a police officer.

“These recent events confirm that the law is not clearly understood,” added Chairman Towns. “I look forward to working with my colleagues to bring some clarity to this important matter and working with them to pass this resolution.”

H.Con.Res 298 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

Looks like APD will start using mini-cams on their uniforms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDB2EeAbnzk&feature=player_embedded

Belmont31R
07-21-10, 01:43
I've heard the argument before that all LEO should have to wear video at all times so any allegations of misconduct can be verified.

I've also head the comment that all military should have to wear video whenever they are deployed so any allegations of misconduct can be verified.

While we are at it, lets hang cameras in doctors offices so we can check for malpractice, after all, doctors will make more bad calls than LEO this year.

A certain few people tend to post border line anti-cop comments on this board, lets put cameras in their houses as well.

Private citizens filming in the public is the same as cameras in doctors offices and peoples homes?

When I am outside of my house I expect to be filmed. You can't drive more than a mile from my house without being on some type of gov camera. LEO should expect the same thing, and these ideas that LE should not be filmed in pubic is downright tyranny when at the same these own governments are filming my own actions (along with the rest of the populace) multiple times a day. Its a strawman argument when you start comparing private businesses to public streets.

Honu
07-21-10, 02:00

hehehehe OK boss !!!!!

Dozens of Americans have joined terrorist groups and are posing a threat to the United States and its interests abroad, the president's most senior adviser on counterterrorism and homeland security said Thursday. . . . "There are, in my mind, dozens of U.S. persons who are in different parts of the world, and they are very concerning to us," said John O. Brennan, deputy White House national security adviser for homeland security and counterterrorism. . . .

their was video of Brennan himself saying this
heck even MSNBC covered this and even the ACLU has sent in letters saying this is not constitutional etc...

so next time you tell me to put down my tin hat why not take off your blinders and use google do some checking use google its this search thing you can find all kinds of stuff some not true others true ? you have to do a bit of work yourself and not just read the huffington post !

here is a link for ACLU (http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/2010-4-28-ACLULettertoPresidentObama.pdf)

I hate the ACLU but if even they are on this ? so take off your blinders and you will see I am not wearing a tin hat and I also dont usually tell others what to do until I check my facts !

if you have not heard about warantless taps on cell phones and using the GPS to locate the person being taped then you really need to read more and do more research as to what is going on ?

I have no tin hat ? I do have a healthy sceptical distrust and question everything they do and try to read both sides of what I hear the gov doing

Moose-Knuckle
07-21-10, 02:04
I've worked in LE for seven years so I am no stranger to being recorded constantly.

The city I work for had a couple of college kids follow around our officers with police scanners and video cameras. They had their own YouTube channel that they would post their vids. Our guy's left them alone and went on with their duties with complete professionalism.

The vid in question...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7PC9cZEWCQ&feature=related

To me the real issue here is not the legality of recording LEOs but irresponsible bikers. These guy's that use public roadways for their "stunting" are a danger to themselves and to everyone else they share the road with. The majority of the fatality accidents in the city I'm employed by involve sport bikes. The off duty trooper did nothing wrong IMO. If you watch the vid he drew his weapon but did not point it at the subject. He also must have used a radio or cell to notify his dispatch cause a marked squad pulled up right after he confronted the biker.

Irish
07-21-10, 02:31
To me the real issue here is not the legality of recording LEOs but irresponsible bikers. These guy's that use public roadways for their "stunting" are a danger to themselves and to everyone else they share the road with. The majority of the fatality accidents in the city I'm employed by involve sport bikes. The off duty trooper did nothing wrong IMO. If you watch the vid he drew his weapon but did not point it at the subject. He also must have used a radio or cell to notify his dispatch cause a marked squad pulled up right after he confronted the biker.

Conversations like this always remind me of Chris Thomas and Jason Highsmith, both Ohio LEOs, who got clocked at 149mph on I-70. Neither one was ticketed and one lost his job only to be reinstated later. They, the two guilty officers, and the officers who failed to ticket them should've all been terminated.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2009/jul/10/osp_video_off-duty_trooper_officer_ticketed_for_sp-ar-14993/

Belmont31R
07-21-10, 02:47
Conversations like this always remind me of Chris Thomas and Jason Highsmith, both Ohio LEOs, who got clocked at 149mph on I-70. Neither one was ticketed and one lost his job only to be reinstated due to bullshit union contracts. It may be slightly off topic but the video should've hung their asses out to dry.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2009/jul/10/osp_video_off-duty_trooper_officer_ticketed_for_sp-ar-14993/

I can't fault anyone for that. In Germany with my bike I used to do runs to Frankfurt Airport and back at night. Most of the time once I hit the bahn I never went below 100 until my turn around point. Most of the way I was cruising between 130 and 160. Still to this day I get agitated as hell when the cruising speed on the freeways around hits 60. I am used to ~100+ in the left lane. We drive way too slow around here....

Irish
07-21-10, 02:56
I can't fault anyone for that. In Germany with my bike I used to do runs to Frankfurt Airport and back at night. Most of the time once I hit the bahn I never went below 100 until my turn around point. Most of the way I was cruising between 130 and 160. Still to this day I get agitated as hell when the cruising speed on the freeways around hits 60. I am used to ~100+ in the left lane. We drive way too slow around here....

How can you not fault two Ohio Officers who are supposed to be upholding the law while blatantly disregarding it? Driving over double the posted speed limit they get pulled over and have a few laughs with the responding officers while bullshitting with them and then just take off. What would've happened to Joe Citizen without the badge? My guess would be jail time. The incident also occured while one of them was on tax payer paid disability as well.

The speed doesn't bother me it's the hypocritical nature of what happened. And yes we drive too slow inside CONUS.

bkb0000
07-21-10, 03:38
he needs to work on his draw from concealment.

rob_s
07-21-10, 04:35
In my wayward youth we often rode skateboards in areas that the police evidently didn't want us to. We usually had a video camera with us and more than once had officers take away the tape after they realized we were filming them, and virtually every officer I can remember objected to being filmed. This was 20 years ago when cameras weren't as common and they sure didn't have dash cams that I remember.

I even recall several rather humorous incidents where a lone cop completely lost focus and started chasing one of us around the car, all the while being taped screaming "turn off that f-ing camera" and other niceties. These were usually the guys that took the tape, I would bet in large part because they realized that not only had they behaved like a jackass but those snotty teenagers also had evidence of same.

IMHO unless you're undercover or otherwise need your identity concealed because failing to do so would put your work effectiveness at risk you should expect to be taped. I do not see that as the same thing as all cops and soldiers wearing cameras and being recorded while on the job, but I bet that's coming too. IIRC Taser is even working on products like this to expand their line from portable electrocution devices to other products.

I've worked jobs where I was recorded for my entire shift, and even got in trouble for things the bosses saw on the tapes, but in hindsight they were right in that my behavior didn't meet company policy and I really didn't have anything to be mad about.

Palmguy
07-21-10, 05:29

I definitely don't think that where we are now, where people can be brought up on felonies for recording official contacts with police (as they can in parts of the country), is "too far"...

bkb0000
07-21-10, 06:11
Looking at the video of the unmarked Maryland LEO who pulled in front of the (knuckleheaded) motorcyclist, that could have ended pretty badly.

no kidding... guy nearly hitting me with his car, then jumping out scowling while clumsily yanking out a gun- i'm sure i'd be going for mine own, and at gunfight speed.

ForTehNguyen
07-21-10, 07:30
The vid in question...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7PC9cZEWCQ&feature=related

hes an idiot for not IDing himself as a police officer for the first several seconds how do we know its not a robbery? Right after the stop when the camera pans back theres a marked police car all of a sudden. During the video the rider looks back several times and there is no marked car following him. Why didnt they use the marked car to start a traffic stop instead of using an unmarked plain clothes officer? Hell the marked police cars lights and siren weren't even on either.

Yes he deserves a reckless driving ticket, but them raiding his house because he posted a youtube video of the incident is stupid. That law that forbids recording an officer is a blatant move to protect themselves. Not allowing me to record in a public setting is a violation of 1A rights.

John_Wayne777
07-21-10, 08:17
These topics are REALLY starting to annoy me. All they do is get everybody's feelings hurt and then our IM boxes get filled with people complaining that X is anti-freedom and Y is anti-police, etc.

It's long past the point of tiresome.