PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 97 Riot

SRT
07-20-10, 23:56
I'm not ashamed to admit that I have a fetish for riot guns. Although I love my Benelli M1S90 and M4, the quality, fit and finish of Winchester's old Model 1897 and Model 97 really trip my trigger.

The Model 97 pictured below is one of the police riots in my collection. This one came from the Phoenix Police Department, and the rack number is visible on the butt. This particular riot is in great shape and it's evident it spent most of the time in the arms room as opposed to a cruiser. Although it retired from police service in the late 1950's, I've used it to hunt dove and suspect that loaded with 00 buck, it would still be a formidable weapon for hunting two legged varmints!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/SRTCOP/Model97-1.jpg

Ross
07-21-10, 04:47
My father has an original riot 97 from the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department. I remember the first time I handled it as a kid, and I was lucky to not cut my thumb.

I bought one of those Norinco copies a few years ago, and while not as nice as a Winchester, it runs fine and is pretty well put together. For $200 for a trench-gun I can abuse with no guilt, it was worth it.

I love the design, though I wish the Norinco was a takedown. The most logical thing about the design is the shell release button that lets you empty the mag without running the shells through the action. IMO a much better way of safely unloading a shotgun, espeically one without a disconnector (the Norinco follows the original in not having a disconnector).

ThirdWatcher
07-24-10, 20:59
I've got one of the 1897 IAC Trench guns and it seems like a pretty good value too. Your riot gun, being the real deal is even better. :)

Army Chief
07-24-10, 21:21
I've got two 1897s (neither are trench guns) that were passed down from my grandfathers, and despite the age of the pair, they remain my favorite scatterguns by far.

AC

TOrrock
07-25-10, 00:16
Nice. :cool: