PDA

View Full Version : Running Low on TAP T2

Sensei
07-21-10, 01:59
Well guys, I'm running low on my stock of Hornady TAP T2. Normally, I can rely on ammunitiontogo.com or Grant at G&R Tactical to have some in-stock every couple of months. However, the well has been dry from these sources for a few months and I'm getting nervous. I like to keep at least 300 rounds of the stuff in reserve along with 1000 rounds each of M193 and M855. Basically, it is my go to round for everything except barrier penetration, and it is used to zero virtually all of my ARs.

So, I'm thinking that it is time to switch to another full power, 5.56mm, OTM load that has comparable accuracy and terminal performance to the T2. I have no interest in the 75/77 grain .223 loadings (TAP FDP, Black Hills, etc.) due to several SBR's in the stable that need the extra velocity for optimal terminal performance.

Thus, I'm eyeing the Silver State Armory 77 grain OTM as a viable alternative to my beloved T2. It replicates the equally elusive MK262 from Black Hills. I understand that it is a bit hotter and less accurate than T2 (thanks Melon for the excellent research). However, I think that it is accurate enough for most applications, and I'll save the remaining T2 for my MK12 and SDM-R builds where accuracy is paramount. Most importantly, the SSA loading is readily available from multiple online vendors, and I've had good luck with their 6.8 SPC offerings.

Let me know what you guys think or if you know of a magic tree that grows T2.

Belmont31R
07-21-10, 02:01
I just bought 400rds of T2 from A2G last Friday. An alert was posted here on m4c.

I do shoot a lot of SSA 77GR OTM, though. Its been very accurate for me, and easy to get. I have real Mk262 as my go to load, though.

ALCOAR
07-21-10, 03:48
You just missed quite a nice bit at a2g as mentioned above.....thread on it at the other place. I wouldn't be hung up on just having to have an otm load.

I will admit T2 spoils the hell out me, but so does BH's 68gr. match hp. Try it out see if you like, I am not the only one that loves that round....its just a real sleeper compared to the Hornady 75gr. tap loads and the MK 262.