PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Town

Rider79
07-21-10, 08:10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0840361/

Trailers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0840361/videogallery

Saw the trailer for this before Inception, looks pretty bad-ass. When I saw the bank robbers dressed as nuns with machineguns I thought of Costa's "worst case scenario" in Art of the Tactical Carbine.

Honu
07-21-10, 16:38
yeah looks like it might be a good action flick

I liked HEAT this looks like a similar situation for action which is what made HEAT so good :)

variablebinary
07-21-10, 16:45
HK 416 goodness

BrianS
07-21-10, 16:55
Looks good. Gone Baby Gone was very well done, the barfight scene felt very authentic and the dialogue and acting was topnotch. Ben is a good director and this has some promise.

Barfight scene from Gone Baby Gone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3oxRvJZg9E

M4arc
07-21-10, 16:57
Damn, that does look good!

SW-Shooter
07-21-10, 21:39
The torch needs to be passed, we need another updated movie like HEAT. I hope this is it.

variablebinary
07-21-10, 22:09
Looks good. Gone Baby Gone was very well done, the barfight scene felt very authentic and the dialogue and acting was topnotch. Ben is a good director and this has some promise.

Barfight scene from Gone Baby Gone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3oxRvJZg9E

Gone Baby Gone is a great movie. Ben Affleck directs very well.

I have high hopes for "The Town". I have no doubt Ben is looking to up the ante over the other big Boston crime drama, The Departed, by adding a little bit a Heat.

Sounds like a sweet combo to me. The gun play looks slick

http://www.imfdb.org/images/a/a7/Town-5.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/e9/Town-6.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/1/1c/Town-8.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/e7/Town-9.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/a/a6/Town-10.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/81/Town-11.jpg

SWATcop556
07-21-10, 22:25
This is definitly one I will be going to see. Looks promising even though I'm not the biggest Affleck fan out there.

GermanSynergy
07-21-10, 22:32
Hope the "nun" in the bottom pic is wearing ear pro!:neo:

SkiDevil
07-21-10, 23:59
This is definitly one I will be going to see. Looks promising even though I'm not the biggest Affleck fan out there.

I agree. I really don't care for Ben Afleck either. But I will have to admit that "Gone Baby Gone" was a really good movie.

This film looks even better. The trailer is reminiscent of Heat. It looks like there is a similar type scene/ shoot-out in the movie as well. Plus some of the ladies in the trailer look very lovely too.:D

SkiDevil

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up Rider.

Rider79
07-22-10, 00:50
I'm hoping for some Heat-type action as well. Affleck is also somewhat pro-gun, and was a great tipper in his Vegas days, so I don't really have any problem with him.

RogerinTPA
07-22-10, 07:29
Looks like a cross between "Heat" and "Point Break".

nickdrak
07-25-10, 01:28
Im on the fence on this one... but I will probably go see it anyways!

If it was a Michael Mann production I would feel much better about it. From the trailer much of the gunplay appears to be waaay over the top which usually does nothing but bore me. Mann has the ability to ALMOST make the shootout scenes in his films appear realistic.

We shall see....

jaxman7
07-25-10, 09:18
Agreed Nick, when it comes to making as close to the real thing as possible Mann is the man. I love the gunfight scenes in Heat, Miami Vice,Collateral, and I am sure there are some others that I cannot recall he directed. He needs to do a war movie.

SteyrAUG
07-25-10, 12:35
The torch needs to be passed, we need another updated movie like HEAT. I hope this is it.

Looks good, but I seriously doubt it is gonna outdo Heat. Even Michael Mann hasn't been able to top his masterpiece.

variablebinary
07-25-10, 13:37
Looks good, but I seriously doubt it is gonna outdo Heat. Even Michael Mann hasn't been able to top his masterpiece.

Overall, I think "The Insider" is better than "Heat", but in terms of gun play, no film made comes close to the bank heist scene. It looks and sounds like the real deal.

Though, "Collateral" had "yo homey", which is epic in its own right.

Rider79
07-25-10, 19:23
From the trailer much of the gunplay appears to be waaay over the top which usually does nothing but bore me.

Trailers are usually misleading though, depending on what kind of crowd they're trying to attract. Look at some recent comedies where the trailer is funnier than the actual movie.

I have high hopes for the movie although I'm sure I'll be disappointed.

Magic_Salad0892
07-26-10, 03:12
I don't mind Ben Affleck. :I

I really want to see this movie.

BTW: A bit off topic, but Inception was amazing. 10/10.

(Gun play wasn't too outlandish either.)

Rider79
08-12-10, 06:29
Reading the book the movie is based on now, Chuck Hogan's Prince of Thieves. Great book so far, if they adapt it well for the big screen I think its going to be a great movie.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-10, 08:22
Looks like a cross between "Heat" and "Point Break".

With pasty white guys.

If it was a Michael Mann production I would feel much better about it. From the trailer much of the gunplay appears to be waaay over the top which usually does nothing but bore me. Mann has the ability to ALMOST make the shootout scenes in his films appear realistic.

Only Mann can make full mag dumps with a Thompson at night not seem gratuitous.

Overall, I think "The Insider" is better than "Heat", but in terms of gun play, no film made comes close to the bank heist scene. It looks and sounds like the real deal.

For volume of fire you can't beat Heat, but I'm a fan of "Way of the Gun" where 1911s only hold 7 rounds- and the 'check' scene is best non-shooting gun scene. When Philippe dives on the glass, ouch.

Let's not forget that Heat has about 45 minutes of chick-flick relationship stuff in it also.

Rider79
09-13-10, 07:15
Finished the book this movie is based on last week. If they don't **** it up, based on some of the action in the book, its going to be a bad ass movie. I'll be seeing it at midnight on Thursday.

decodeddiesel
09-13-10, 13:30
Sadly, I doubt this is going to top HEAT, or for that matter even be in the same league. I think Public Enemies and No Country for Old Men were the only movies of recent that even come close. I am hoping to seeing The Town in the theater however.

Slightly OT, has anyone heard if Michael Mann has another project in the works?

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-13-10, 14:28

Frankie Machine (details only on IMDbPro)
Damage Control (details only on IMDbPro)
Death of a Dissident (details only on IMDbPro)
Waiting for Robert Capa (details only on IMDbPro)
Untitled Michael Mann Project (details only on IMDbPro)

In Production

The Fields (2011/II) (post-production) (producer)
Luck (2011) (TV) (post-production) (executive producer)

LHS
09-13-10, 22:06

The "Yo Homey" scene was an instant classic. That was the only movie I've ever seen where Tom Cruise actually acts. He was great.

decodeddiesel
09-14-10, 10:56

Frankie Machine (details only on IMDbPro)
Damage Control (details only on IMDbPro)
Death of a Dissident (details only on IMDbPro)
Waiting for Robert Capa (details only on IMDbPro)
Untitled Michael Mann Project (details only on IMDbPro)

In Production

The Fields (2011/II) (post-production) (producer)
Luck (2011) (TV) (post-production) (executive producer)

I figured you would be the one to answer this one. ;)

JSantoro
09-14-10, 11:06
The "Yo Homey" scene was an instant classic. That was the only movie I've ever seen where Tom Cruise actually acts. He was great.

That, and I loved what he did in Tropic Thunder.

Otherwise, he just plays Tom Cruise. Which has admittedly made him money....

Rider79
09-17-10, 07:46
Saw it last night at midnight. They changed a couple things from the book and completely changed the ending, but I thought it was great. The gunplay was realistic and well done, the acting was great, and there was enough of a "love story", if you want to call it that, in it, but not too much to be annoying. There was more than enough action in it too, but it wasn't over the top or ridiculous.

Being that Heat is my favorite movie of all time, I would put it at about 80-90% of what Heat was for me. I think Affleck will be up there with Clint Eastwood someday for actors who have become directors.

variablebinary
09-17-10, 23:00
Just saw "The Town" and I highly recommend it.

First things first: Is it better than Heat? Hmm, I'm going to say it's very close and it might be the best heist film since Heat. It is certainly a worthy Boston crime film up there with Gone Baby Gone, and the Departed.

The Town is clearly influenced by Heat. Some shots look lifted right out of Heat in fact.

The story is good, and the love interest didn't bore me. The pacing is good, so while it is long, it doesn't feel drawn out.

Gun playis sound. You will be entertained. Lots of tactical teams, glocks, AR15's, HK416's and even a FAL OSW

Ben Affleck is a good director. This is a good movie.

SW-Shooter
09-17-10, 23:10
Saw it today too, was also impressed. I didn't like it as much as HEAT because I would have liked to have seen more crew work, more of the previous robberies. The Town had a few "come on, let's move along now", moments that could have been replaced with other stuff. I give it a must see, and must own. I would have loved to have seen it on an IMAX screen though. You know what, looking back I'd say it's just as good as HEAT.

I did a double feature with The Expendables as my second show, man was that movie a big disappointment. The friendship in The Expendables seemed rushed, and I should have just bought it when it comes out on video.

User Name
09-17-10, 23:54
I am going to see it next week. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark71
09-18-10, 00:11
Thanks for the review. Looking forward to seeing it this weekend.

Iraqgunz
09-18-10, 00:29
Another shoot em up film by an anti-gun Hollywood dickhead. I want to see it, but.......

DaBears_85
09-18-10, 00:47
Another shoot em up film by an anti-gun Hollywood dickhead. I want to see it, but.......

Haven't you heard? Guns are bad...

SW-Shooter
09-18-10, 00:50

You think this movie is made by an anti, read below:

I was greeted by the Valerie Plame "FAIR GAME" movie preview(Sean Penn can suck a donkey dong), talk about almost walking out. I've included the trailer, feel free to throw up in your mouth a little. Liberal Hollywood scum can suck my arse, I'm limiting my movie going this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGO1yWhyEQ4

Honu
09-18-10, 02:17
Another shoot em up film by an anti-gun Hollywood dickhead. I want to see it, but....... YOU COULD POKE YOUR EYE OUT ?

just trying to finish the thought :)

I am the same way ? I like these but wait now till it gets to vid so I give them less money ! ?

BrianS
09-18-10, 02:46

I don't believe he is anti-gun. He was on O'Reilly Factor one time where he specifically stated he was pro 2nd Amendment/RKBA and also think he had or has a concealed weapon permit in FL or GA IIRC.

This is from the O'Reilly transcript:

AFFLECK: Yes, I would say I'm a moderately liberal guy. I mean, there are things that I agree with the Democratic Party. There are things I don't. For example, I'm not a big gun control guy. I believe in all the bill of rights, including the Second Amendment.

I saw the movie today and thought it was good. I think a little more time could have been devoted to the backstory of the characters involved which were pretty compelling in the book (plus I think some of the changes to the story itself made it less powerful), but it was already a little over 2 hours so maybe he felt compelled to clip some of that stuff. Pretty good for his 2nd movie. I couldn't be any more expansive about it without major spoilers.

variablebinary
09-18-10, 03:07
I'm glad to see Jon Hamm (Don Draper on Madman) isn't squandering his 15 minutes on romantic comedies, like most TV to screen actors. He plays the role of a G-man well.

Jeremy Renner was also well cast as an Irish street thug.

Iraqgunz
09-18-10, 04:38
Maybe I am wrong. But, I could have sworn that I saw or heard somewhere else that he wasn't. I guess it could be worse.

I don't believe he is anti-gun. He was on O'Reilly Factor one time where he specifically stated he was pro 2nd Amendment/RKBA and also think he had or has a concealed weapon permit in FL or GA IIRC.

This is from the O'Reilly transcript:

I saw the movie today and thought it was good. I think a little more time could have been devoted to the backstory of the characters involved which were pretty compelling in the book (plus I think some of the changes to the story itself made it less powerful), but it was already a little over 2 hours so maybe he felt compelled to clip some of that stuff. Pretty good for his 2nd movie. I couldn't be any more expansive about it without major spoilers.

Honu
09-18-10, 04:43
doing my late night work :) I decided to throw HEAT On the netflix and watch while I work tonight :) got to say its a great movie !!!!

Moose-Knuckle
09-18-10, 20:08
Yeah I have wanted to see this since I saw the first trailer for it awhile back now.

Nothing can top Heat, nothing. I hope every time Mann makes a new film it will out do Heat but a last my search continues. Collateral was good and I even thought Mann's reprise of his series Miami Vice was good but they weren't heat.

I will watch The Town very soon, going into to it comparing it to Scorsese's master piece The Departed.

As some other have said I think The Town was casted great.

Rider79
09-19-10, 10:23
I will watch The Town very soon, going into to it comparing it to Scorsese's master piece The Departed.

I think it was far better than The Departed. Saw it for a second time Friday night with my girl.

VooDoo6Actual
09-19-10, 15:58
imo, dug it.

Has HEAT, THIEF (both of Michael Mann), POINT BREAK et al nuances to it. Gritty, visceral, compelling and engaging.

Weapons & weapon play were good and better than most. HK 416's, Tec 9's, DSA FAL OSW etc. all there and used w/ competencey in most scenarios.

Ben put on some good solid BMI (body mass index for this), Jeremy Renner plays good socialpath.

Rebecca Hall is naturally attractive and has some nice corpulent, succulent spit swapping macking puckers. Other supporting cast is well placed, credible & fits well imo.

Rider79
09-20-10, 07:15
Well, Jon Hamm is a douche.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/09/20/jon-hamm-the-tea-party-is-racist/?icid=main%7Cmain%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%7C171554

Hamm finished up the "racism" discussion with a jab at conservatives. He said that the Tea Party keeps taking about "taking back" America. "Well," he said, "who are 'we' taking it back from?" Hamm then concluded with this remark: "I'm pretty sure ... 'we' as Americans still have America. I don't know who 'we' need to take it back from." The crowd applauded when he was done.

Rider79
09-21-10, 22:56
Now the trailers are calling the movie "Heat meets The Departed". Not sure if I agree with the Departed part of that.

nickdrak
09-22-10, 01:11
Saw it last night with the wife. It was entertaining. Lots of cool guns, a really good chase scene. The gun-play was nowhere near as-good as "Heat", or any other Michael Mann film for that matter.

I think they were more concerned with not concealing Ben Affleck's face while he was shooting, than anything else:rolleyes:

whiterabbit05
09-22-10, 01:14
Can't wait to see this!

BrianS
09-22-10, 05:36
Now the trailers are calling the movie "Heat meets The Departed". Not sure if I agree with the Departed part of that.

Well, in the sense that they are robbing banks and armored cars with rifles in Boston, I guess it is.

:D

Rider79
09-22-10, 05:57
Well, in the sense that they are robbing banks and armored cars with rifles in Boston, I guess it is.

I don't remember them doing that in The Departed. I think the similarities end after it being set in Boston.

variablebinary
09-22-10, 06:57
Without risking spoilers, one of the most awesome scenes was the cop in the car.

For those that haven't seen it, that scene is a real treat.

And Blake Lively was not recognizable as the coked out Boston trash mom. I didn't realize it was her till a day later.

ForTehNguyen
09-22-10, 07:26
Without risking spoilers, one of the most awesome scenes was the cop in the car.

For those that haven't seen it, that scene is a real treat.

And Blake Lively was not recognizable as the coked out Boston trash mom. I didn't realize it was her till a day later.

yes this part was good. Theater got real freakin quiet

Rider79
09-22-10, 08:07

I had no idea who she was before this movie, still have no idea who she is. Apparently she's on a show called Gossip Girl and if you tell me you watch that show, I'm taking your man card. :haha:

variablebinary
09-22-10, 08:13
I had no idea who she was before this movie, still have no idea who she is. Apparently she's on a show called Gossip Girl and if you tell me you watch that show, I'm taking your man card. :haha:

Even worse.

I know her from the The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. My wife was watching it one night, and I wanted to commit suicide the whole time it was on.

decodeddiesel
09-22-10, 11:58
Saw it last night with the wife. It was entertaining. Lots of cool guns, a really good chase scene. The gun-play was nowhere near as-good as "Heat", or any other Michael Mann film for that matter.

I think they were more concerned with not concealing Ben Affleck's face while he was shooting, than anything else:rolleyes:

I agree, the gun play was not as good as what is typical of Mann's movies, however I did feel it was a notch above most other movies and it was believable and relevant.

Where The Town really shined was in the dialog. It was WAY more believable and pedestrian than Mann movies (I think this is one of Mann's weak areas). It seems everything that comes out of the characters mouths in Mann movies is some sort of borderline epic monologue, where as in The Town I honestly felt like the conversations in the movie could have easily been between me and some of my old friends from New England.

Also I think Boston and Charleston had "leading roles" in the movie just as much as the actors (very reminiscent of Mann and his use of LA and Miami).

I personally loved the movie. One of my all time favorites. I will be seeing it again in the theaters.

SWATcop556
09-22-10, 12:00
Even worse.

I know her from the The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. My wife was watching it one night, and I wanted to commit suicide the whole time it was on.

My wife has me DVR Gossip Girl for her. Other than ample amounts of clevage that show rates very high on my Sucks A Fat One list. She's pretty easy on the eyes though.

I thought The Town was well done, well acted, and well filmed. It's no Heat but it's still a winner. I also fail to see the comparisons with The Departed.

BrianS
09-23-10, 01:32
I don't remember them doing that in The Departed. I think the similarities end after it being set in Boston.

It being set in Boston is the "meets the Departed" part of the equation... the armed robbery with rifles is the "Heat" part.

But yeah, mainly these descriptions are used because most reviewers can't come up with any better way to describe films than pointing at other movies.

variablebinary
09-23-10, 01:36
It being set in Boston is the "meets the Departed" part of the equation... the armed robbery with rifles is the "Heat" part.

But yeah, mainly these descriptions are used because most reviewers can't come up with any better way to describe films than pointing at other movies.

I thought the Departed was a damn good movie. Really good!

But it's structure and pacing are far removed from The Town.

More like The Town = HEAT + Gone Baby Gone + Mystic River.

SkiDevil
09-23-10, 21:52
I saw the movie opening weekend. It was definitely entertaining.

Imho, although this movie isn't to the quality of Heat. It was still a great flick. Alot of well shot action scenes, especially the ending.

Looking forward to seeing what else Mr. Affleck comes up with in the future. He seems off to a good start.

Also, I have to agree with Hop, Rebecca Hall is very beautiful. Reminds me a little of his wife Jennifer Garner.

SkiDevil

P.S. Have seen a couple of interviews with John Hamm. Yeah, he comes across like a tool.

Dave_M
09-24-10, 15:18
Saw it last night.

It's an OK flick albeit with some questionable weapons selections. It's kinda like Ben Affleck smoked two joints and tried to re-write Heat with him as DeNiro's character...

Doesn't beat Heat, that's for sure. Stuff I liked:

Instead of doing what most movies do in regards to magazine changes (most movies, a) disregard them and the weapon runs forever, or b) do it completely ****ed up. The Town implies magazine changes (like someone ducking behind cover to change mags) but never directly shows them. While it's no Val Kilmer dropping behind cover and doing a smooth mag change, it's better than the other two methods outlined above.

Jon Hamm's character I liked the most. I definitely bought his as a straight-forward but pushing the line G-man. I never quite buy Affleck as a real criminal. Serena van der Woodsen played a great trashy Charlestown girl. So good, in fact, I questioned if it was really her a couple times in the film. Definitely the opposite of the character she plays on Gossip Girl (Yes, I've seen episodes before--I do have an ex-wife after all).

Jeremy Renner did a very good job at being a criminal on the brink. I've known people like the character he played but I can't help think he'd have done better than Affleck as the main character.

One scene in particular (and several in general) reminded me of a cheap knock-off of Heat but I won't get into it too much as to not ruin the film. My stance on the movie is currently, "See it in the theaters but wait for the dollar theaters".

decodeddiesel
09-24-10, 15:33
One scene in particular (and several in general) reminded me of a cheap knock-off of Heat but I won't get into it too much as to not ruin the film. My stance on the movie is currently, "See it in the theaters but wait for the dollar theaters".

Wow really? I mean, seriously I have only seen a sparse few movies come to the big screen in the last few years that is even close to the entertainment value of this movie. The Departed, Public Enemies, No Country For Old Men, and maybe Grand Torino (this one is even a stretch) are the only movies I can think of, and honestly I felt The Town was better than all but No Country.

Put it this way, I am in a VERY stretched financial situation right now, and I am damn satisfied with the $40 I shelled out to see this movie. I will probably go and see it again in the theaters.

Dave_M
09-24-10, 15:39
Wow really? I mean, seriously I have only seen a sparse few movies come to the big screen in the last few years that is even close to the entertainment value of this movie. The Departed, Public Enemies, No Country For Old Men, and maybe Grand Torino (this one is even a stretch) are the only movies I can think of, and honestly I felt The Town was better than all but No Country.

Put it this way, I am in a VERY stretched financial situation right now, and I am damn satisfied with the $40 I shelled out to see this movie. I will probably go and see it again in the theaters.

Two things:

1) I'm a movie snob almost as much as I'm a gun snob.

2) $40?!?! Holy shit! Do you live in Manhattan?

decodeddiesel
09-24-10, 15:42
Two things:

1) I'm a movie snob almost as much as I'm a gun snob.

2) $40?!?! Holy shit! Do you live in Manhattan?

Tickets + baby sitter = $40

Like I said, I was damn happy I spent the money and saw it.

Dave_M
09-24-10, 15:49
Tickets + baby sitter = $40

Like I said, I was damn happy I spent the money and saw it.

Baby sitter, gotcha.

The dollar theater recommendation is far from the worst recommendation I have.

In no particular order (applies to those who are willing to skirt the law)
-Torrent a cam
-Wait for Redbox
-Don't bother
-Torrent a DVD rip in 6 months
-Dollar theater
-See it right now!!
-Wait a year for Netflix

So, my dollar theater recommendation is. 'luke warm' I suppose.

Rider79
09-26-10, 20:53
Had to post this because I laughed my ass off when I saw it.

"Star Wars" meets "The Town":

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/09/star-wars-the-town-mash-up

And this:

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/Rider79/town.jpg

:jester:

Moose-Knuckle
09-27-10, 02:48
Finally watched it this weekend and must say that I was damned impressed. The only thing it had in common with Heat is the cops and robbers genre. Like Heat this film focused on character development and story which makes it a little more believable unlike the majority of most other cop movies which dwell more on the pyrotechnics and some stupid ass sidekick with a bunch of one liner’s. Sweet firearms and pretty good gun play. Great cast and some awesome scenery of Bean Town. I found myself actually rooting for the bad guy Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) and found the movie to be most suspensefull. Kept me wondering what was around the corner as it was not as predictable as most flicks.

Will defiantly be adding this to my DVD collection once it is released.

decodeddiesel
09-27-10, 09:36
I found myself actually rooting for the bad guy Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) and found the movie to be most suspensefull. Kept me wondering what was around the corner as it was not as predictable as most flicks.

Absolutely. The FBI agent is just painted as a slime ball, where as Dougy is a very likable character.

Iraqgunz
09-27-10, 15:44
I saw it this weekend as well and I liked it.

Rider79
09-27-10, 16:08
I had a free pass that you can't use on a movie that's in its first week so I saw it again last night.

Yes, that's right. I have no life.

variablebinary
09-27-10, 16:09
Absolutely. The FBI agent is just painted as a slime ball, where as Dougy is a very likable character.

Same thing happened in HEAT. Who actually wanted Kilmer and Di Nero to get caught or killed?

Rider79
09-27-10, 16:32
Same thing happened in HEAT. Who actually wanted Kilmer and DeNiro to get caught or killed?

Maybe it wasn't wanted but it was expected. With Neil McCauley's code was there any other way he was going to go out?

decodeddiesel
09-27-10, 16:55
Same thing happened in HEAT. Who actually wanted Kilmer and Di Nero to get caught or killed?

I made the HEAT comparison with my wife on the way home from the theater. The biggest difference that my wife and I agreed on was that Hanna was a FAR more likable character than Frawley.

In the last shootout scene with McCauley and Hanna you didn't really want either character to get killed. I know I didn't. When it was McCauley who did get shot and killed, at least Mann had the good sense to have him make a comment about not going back (to jail).

All I was thinking in The Town about Agent Frawley was "Christ please let this mother f***er please catch a stray .308 to the head." Don't glorify it, don't make it into some drawn out dialog or something, make it real. Just one of those "oh shit, what just happened" moments that happens in real firefights in real life with real bullets when someone just gets hit. Obviously not going to happen in a Hollywood flick, but there would have been something just right about a 147gr slug to the skull, brains on the pavement, end of character. Obviously it didn't happen, however I am actually very pleased with the way they ended the movie.

Rider79
09-27-10, 17:04
All I was thinking in The Town was "Christ please let this mother f***er please catch a stray .308 to the head. Don't glorify it, don't make it into some drawn out dialog or something...just one of those "oh shit" moments that happen in real firefights in real life with real bullets when someone just gets hit. 147gr slug to the skull, brains on the pavement, end of character." Obivously it didn't happen, however I am actually very pleased with the way they ended the movie.

Do you mean Affleck's character or the FBI agent?

variablebinary
09-27-10, 17:05
Beware of spoilers. Not everyone has seen it yet :p

decodeddiesel
09-27-10, 19:22
Do you mean Affleck's character or the FBI agent?

FBI Agent. I should have been more clear in my post.

Beware of spoilers. Not everyone has seen it yet :p

Yeah, trying not to drop any spoilers. It's tough though, it's such an exciting movie to talk about.

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-10, 00:04
Maybe it wasn't wanted but it was expected. With Neil McCauley's code was there any other way he was going to go out?

This. But in Heat McCauley got plugged because he wanted to tie up the loose end Waingro at the airport hotel.

**** WARNING: SPOILER ALERT****

MacRay did the same with the Florist but he pulled it off, I thought for sure he was going to get killed in the flower shoppe. The shot to the nuts might have been the best scene. :cool:

Lt. Hanna was very likeable and the fact that he and McCauley respected each other so much made the film. S.A. Frawley and MacRay really didn't respect each other at all. But Frawley was damn good at his job and not some fumbling idiot. All the same I think everyone hates him. :D

My love of this film is its attention to detail (especially the first heist). I felt it surpassed Heat in this regard alone.

Rider79
09-28-10, 08:35
**** WARNING: SPOILER ALERT****

MacRay did the same with the Florist but he pulled it off, I thought for sure he was going to get killed in the flower shoppe. The shot to the nuts might have been the best scene. :cool:

My love of this film is its attention to detail (especially the first heist). I felt it surpassed Heat in this regard alone.

You should read the book, it goes much differently, but just as good.

As for the first heist, they didn't get into the detail I wish they would have. In the book the robbery was what they called a "morning glory" where the robbers were waiting for the employees when they came in. They cut in through a doctor's office upstairs, they used Dez's skills to bypass the alarm, and waited in a back room. They then had the manager open the time lock.

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-10, 14:46
You should read the book, it goes much differently, but just as good.

As for the first heist, they didn't get into the detail I wish they would have. In the book the robbery was what they called a "morning glory" where the robbers were waiting for the employees when they came in. They cut in through a doctor's office upstairs, they used Dez's skills to bypass the alarm, and waited in a back room. They then had the manager open the time lock.

Thanks, I might just have to read it now.

austinN4
08-15-16, 13:24
I have no idea how I missed this one 6 years ago, but I watched the DVD last night and thought it was pretty darn good.
But I confess to having a thing for Rebecca Hall.

MountainRaven
08-15-16, 17:42
Since we're necro'ing....

This. But in Heat McCauley got plugged because he wanted to tie up the loose end Waingro at the airport hotel

I disagree. I think the part of McCauley's code that got him killed wasn't whacking Waingro, it was walking away from his girl. Hanna never saw her and wouldn't have seen McCauley if he'd just calmly walked to the car and driven off.

I mean, to me it was kind of part of the point of Heat: That Shiherlis and Hanna had people they couldn't leave, to whom they were loyal and whose loyalty they enjoyed in return, even when the chips are down, and Shiherlis got away and Hanna got his man, while McCauley got whacked because he was willing to walk away from the only person who mattered in his life.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-15-16, 18:09
Since we're necro'ing....

I disagree. I think the part of McCauley's code that got him killed wasn't whacking Waingro, it was walking away from his girl. Hanna never saw her and wouldn't have seen McCauley if he'd just calmly walked to the car and driven off.

I mean, to me it was kind of part of the point of Heat: That Shiherlis and Hanna had people they couldn't leave, to whom they were loyal and whose loyalty they enjoyed in return, even when the chips are down, and Shiherlis got away and Hanna got his man, while McCauley got whacked because he was willing to walk away from the only person who mattered in his life.

What? All I took away from it was that bitches makes things complicated- and action movies an hour longer than needed.

nml
08-15-16, 20:28
Yeah all I got from it was poor evasion/ambush skills. It's just a movie but Pacino was a fool to go chasing after him in the dark alone not a good example for lone cops chasing after a gunman.

Moose-Knuckle
08-16-16, 03:24
I disagree. I think the part of McCauley's code that got him killed wasn't whacking Waingro, it was walking away from his girl.

The name of the movie is Heat, i.e. the heat is on, LE is on your ass.

This pivotal scene is why McCauley walked and left his love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImNGJNcvIc

Had he kept going on the highway and not exited for the hotel he'd would have been in the clear with his gal. There is the scene where Nate (Jon Voight) tells him he's in the clear but let's him know where Waingro is hold up at and asks him if he's got the time.

Averageman
08-16-16, 07:00
I have no idea how I missed this one 6 years ago, but I watched the DVD last night and thought it was pretty darn good.
But I confess to having a thing for Rebecca Hall.

Read the book, it's much better.