PDA

View Full Version : Reinforced belt for every day use?

kh86
07-21-10, 12:09
Do you like these over non reinforced belts for non carry?

JackOSU
07-21-10, 12:22
http://www.aresgear.com

Plain and simply the best all around belt out there IMHO is the Ranger.

CyberM4
07-21-10, 12:33
I'm wearing the Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor Belt with my 511 shorts. I've used it on a pair of my jeans. When my leather belt sees it's last days. Which will be soon enough. This belt will get allot more use. :big_boss:

JSantoro
07-21-10, 12:41
Have both the above, love them both for slightly different reasons.

If you carry CCW, the reinforced belt is definitely the way to go.

EDIT: Whoops, he said for non-carry. Doesn't change the message above, I wear mine for non-carry purposes, too, all the time.

If I know I'll be running a warbelt, I'll wear a normal belt on my pants so that I can cinch the 1st-line belt down properly. Otherwise, "hula-hoop" is a really good description. The

kh86
07-21-10, 13:18
So reinforced dress belt for every day non carry stuff over non reinforced dress belt for every day non carry stuff?

Magsz
07-21-10, 13:38
Going to chime in and put my vote in for the wilderness belt.

The 5 stitch is still enough to carry a full complement of pistol and rifle mags (2 pistol, 1 rifle) and a handgun. I daily carry with this belt and have absolutely no qualms with it except one. Sizing these things is awfully hard. It took me three tries to successfully find the correct size for my waist and carry setup.

Some of the reinforced, two layer scuba webbing belts seem a bit excessive in my own eyes. I feel as though im wearing a hoola hoop when i put one on.

Spurholder
07-21-10, 13:41
So reinforced dress belt for every day non carry stuff over non reinforced dress belt for every day non carry stuff?

^Yes.

With a properly made belt, you won't notice the difference unless you're carrying. Then the difference is crystal clear. I like Wilderness products, too. I've got a Frequent Flyer that works very well.

kh86
07-21-10, 13:49
Anyone use the Uncle mike's holster belt? It's a velcro wilderness style. My concern is that I'm barely 32 waist and the medium is 32-36. I've tried on the small 28-30 with no luck and could find every size in the store except medium. Uncle mike's does make a dress style but I'm really like the braided/velcro style for exact fit.

Spiffums
07-21-10, 14:12
If your personal style requires a belt.......... a leather gun belt will ruin you for life.

I have a wilderness 5 stitch and my Beltman leather..... wear them all the time. Apparently they hold your pants up really good with or without a firearm.

turan tactical
01-21-11, 07:43
I have been using Spec Ops brand rigger and 5.11 operator belts on my two 5.11 taclite pants. Both feels ok but Spec Ops worked well for two times. One to rescue a friends car and second to secure my self on climbing wall while I was in a camp last summer.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/turan-tactical/vivio.jpg

Kegger
01-21-11, 07:55
For everyday wear, that doesn't look all tactical, I prefer the Comp-Tac Kydex reinforced gunbelt.

Holds my pants up great as well as a gun if I'm carrying. Plus you get the exact length you need.

Watrdawg
01-21-11, 08:24
I just got an Ares Gear Ranger belt and really like it. The only thing I would change is to have some kind of keep for the tongue of the belt. It flops around.

CplHicks
01-21-11, 09:09
I'm using a 1.75in Endevour gear riggers belt. Works well as a gun belt and an everyday belt. I've worn it at work on several occasions, never caused any issues when getting on and off forklift trucks or driving either.

Pax
01-21-11, 12:50
Jones Tactical 1.5" EDB here. More rigid than anything else Ive tried.

I used to run a 215 Gear Ultimate Riggers for everyday use and while it is absolutely bombproof, the ~1.75" buckle got to be a pain in the ass to disassemble every time I wanted to take the belt off. It had to be disassembled because the large buckle would not fit through the majority of the belt loops found on even "tactical" pants.

The 1.5" EDB does not have this issue, in fact even if you just wear jeans on a regular basis I'm fairly certain it would fit right through most common belt loops. If you're carrying OWB it will also support the weapon more. Its fairly cheap compared to similar Cobra belts from Ares and such, (~$60). However, Richard Jones is currently overwhelmed with orders and I believe his lead time is around 5 weeks. If you're interested...

http://jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=9

HuttoAg96
01-21-11, 13:37
Anyone use the Uncle mike's holster belt? It's a velcro wilderness style. My concern is that I'm barely 32 waist and the medium is 32-36. I've tried on the small 28-30 with no luck and could find every size in the store except medium. Uncle mike's does make a dress style but I'm really like the braided/velcro style for exact fit.

I have a 32" waist and I use the Uncle Mike's 32-36" belt. I've had it since last March and it is the only belt I have for CCW at this point. The 32-36 should work just fine for you, especially if you are doing any IWB carrying. I use mine for both IWB and OWB, for the record.

HeavyDuty
01-21-11, 14:17
I've worn a Wilderness daily for almost ten years, but am now temporarily wearing an Uncle Mike's since I lost a shitload of weight. Once I stabilize I'll be replacing both my Instructor's and Frequent Flyer with new.

JSantoro
01-21-11, 19:34
I just got an Ares Gear Ranger belt and really like it. The only thing I would change is to have some kind of keep for the tongue of the belt. It flops around.

One of the guys I got 'faced with on Wednesday has an Ares belt with velcro in the appropriate spots to keep the tail in check (the conversation meandered from belts to boobs to blood-splatter analysis to making chili to opera to the use of arson as a human-resources problem-solving strategy; helluva night).

Give Jake a ping about it. I'd be willing to bet he'll address that for you, but you'll likely have to give up your belt for a while.

Watrdawg
01-23-11, 20:22
I shot Jake an email the other day explaining about the tongue of my belt flopping around. I asked him if I could purchase the piece of elastice he uses on the ranger belt tha holds the main part of the belt in place when you are threading it underneath the main part of the buckle. He said he was going to send it out to me at no charge. Great guy and he didn't have to do that. I was more than willing to pay for it.

tc556guy
02-02-11, 15:50
Kramer double thickness horsehide belt. I've been wearing mine for years. They hold up well.

Delta1067
02-02-11, 18:58
Jones Tactical 1.5" EDB here.

I have had this belt for probably a year now and have to say it is great. I wear it all of the time--even just to hold my pants up with no weapon. This belt will last a lifetime. The only time I don't wear it is to attach a duty belt on the outside. I find that the cobra buckle just doesn't fit as well under a duty belt as a buckless belt with velcro does. Just what I prefer.

Dave L.
02-03-11, 03:05
I think rocking a riggers belt in public is a huge indicator. What's wrong with a normal thick leather belt? I have been wearing a Galco 1.5" Cop belt in the US, Iraq, and A-stan. I wear it with holster/gun, AR mag, 2 pistol mags, BOK, and Frag. Yeah, I have a Cobra belt, which is awesome at collecting dust.
If I were to buy something more reinforced, I would strongly look at at Comp-Tac's belts. Leather, square buckle, with kydex stitched between the layers. It still looks like normal-human belt, but wont fold.

I realized a long time ago that my belt had little do do with draw speed and the comfort provided by a well broken in leather belt is hard to beat.

I don't mean to piss in anyone's cereal, but I've bought and been issued a lot of gear, and I always end up going to back to simple shit that works.

desert
02-03-11, 23:14
In answer to the OP question, Yes.

Hate those thin nylon belts.

If you can. Look for a nice LBT rigger belt. You never know when you might need it for multi-use.

They are nice and thick, feel great, look like they might even stop a bullet.

http://webgear.londonbridgetrading.com/M1WebGear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=65E081CD-A904-4897-8127-9FEC10F47474

LBT has many styles. Only a small portion of their product line is on the website. Made in USA. Lifetime guaranty. You are basically buying a belt for life. Find something that works for you. That's most important of all.

There are other manufacturer belts from Eagle and Blackhawk that are made in Dominican Republic and Vietnam that may cost more or the same.

seabass
02-05-11, 11:47
I have both the Wilderness instructor belt and the Jones Tactical 1.5 Cobra EDB.

Both are very good belt designs.

The Jones is much thicker and as a result, stiffer. It is a good belt for CCW.

Tzoid
02-05-11, 12:12
This thread has a bunch of good Data

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41158

endeavor is a good belt maker as well...and a member here

trauma
02-05-11, 23:26
Jones or Ares.......

Pax
02-07-11, 01:24
Jones or Ares.......

The Jones is $20 cheaper depending on sizing, has a shorter lead time, it retains its adjustment strap with velcro while I *believe* the Ares does not and it has much larger box stitching on the webbing holding the female Cobra buckle to the belt. I believe Jones will soon, if he has not already, start offering AustriAlpin's "Desert Sand" and CB FC24-series buckles... So if you want colored buckles, he's got that too. IMO... Jones.

LHS
02-07-11, 20:58
I've been wearing Wilderness belts of some kind (either original instructor or a frequent flyer) for 15+ years now. I had the original instructor rebuilt once a few years back when I gained some weight, and they did it for a very reasonable fee. Both belts are bombproof. You can't go wrong unless you need some kind of dress belt that's heavy enough to use as a gunbelt.