PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of full size pistols in the world of concealed carry?

kal
07-21-10, 15:56
For some odd reason, I love full sized pistols. Maybe it's because of seeing the Terminator bust out that huge long slide 1911 when I was younger. Who knows.

But as I learn more about concealed carry and handguns, I realize that a full sized handgun makes absolutely no sense.

Maybe the full size pistols have better performance because of the longer barrel? Seriously, is a 9mm, 40sw, or 45acp significantly underpowered coming out of a 3.5" bbl compared to a 5" bbl? I'm gonna say, I doubt it. So is there a really good reason why one should have a full size concealed pistol as opposed to one that is an inch or so shorter?

Other things I would like to bring up is the thickness of the pistol and grip length. But it's obvious that some are going to value a double stack magazine (hence the thickness of the grip and pistol overall) with a 10+ capacity (hence the length of the grip.)

But the length of the barrel is the most questionable.

forgiven
07-21-10, 16:01
I'm actually completely opposite - I think it makes perfect sense.

I only carry full size guns and find that with a proper holster (RC Phantom) I can easily conceal it.

It offers more rounds, better recoil management, the ability to get a good grip on the gun, and longer sight radius.

But, to each his own.

Entropy
07-21-10, 16:04
I don't have much use for a full sized pistol....even for duty use. I've tried using full sized Glocks and Sigs on duty, but I always found that I shot all courses of fire up to 25 yards better with either the compact sized Sig P229 or Glock 19. The compact sized pistol shifts more weight to the rear for better balance too.

I think that the only real advantage of a full sized pistol is a longer sight radius. So, if you are steady on the gun, you can get a little better precision with your shooting. Longer sight radius' are a two edged sword though. It takes longer to make your sight alignment, and is generally slower in point shooting too. I've found that the compact pistol is a little more forgiving in shot placement for the first shot in a quick draw.

There is also a correlation between barrel length and caliber size. Larger calibers tend to have larger charges, and thus need longer barrels in order to burn up enough powder for decent velocity. You can still get good velocity out of a 9mm or .40S&W in a barrel less than 4", but you lose a bit more velocity out of a .45acp. Personally I wouldn't use a .45acp with a barrel less than 4".

ForTehNguyen
07-21-10, 16:05
grip length is the hardest to conceal part of the pistol. Barrel isnt that big of a problem. During the winter I carry full size. I just wish TX had open carry so I dont have to be as thorough with my conceal carry. I would continue to conceal carry a full size even if we had OC.

GlockWRX
07-21-10, 16:10
I'm actually completely opposite -

I only carry full size guns and find that with a proper holster (RC Phantom) I can easily conceal it.

It offers more rounds, better recoil management, the ability to get a good grip on the gun, and longer sight radius.

+1

I shoot a G17 better than a G19, and it's not much harder for me to carry concealed. Some guys are the opposite.

StrikeFace
07-21-10, 16:33
The compact sized pistol shifts more weight to the rear for better balance too.

I've never heard this before. Part of the reason I like running the G34 is that the slightly muzzle-heavy design makes it easier to pound out shots in rapid succession.

I think the point of full size pistols in concealed carry isn't the size of the pistol so much as it is the manner of carry. Sure, you can't ankle or pocket carry a G17, but can't do as much with a S&W J-frame as you can with a G17. It's all the compromise game: capability over concealability. Guns like the G19 are a good balance.

The negligible size and weight difference between a G26, G19, and G17 mean that its all up to personal preference and mode of carry.

arizonaranchman
07-21-10, 16:33

But, to each his own.

I've been carrying a sidearm daily for over 25 yrs. I've had many handguns over the years, but always gravitated to carrying the full sized guns over the smaller ones. I've had i think 3 S&W J-frame 2" .38's and ended up selling them all. I had a Walther PPK-S .380 and ended up selling it. I had a Sig P239 and sold it. Had a Detonics .45 compact, sold it.

What did I always keep and find myself going back to? My 1911 Government Model. I personally don't feel it's that much more difficult to conceal or carry than a smaller gun and I prefer it's larger grip/bbl because it's easier to handle a full sized gun than a pee-wee sized one. I personally don't find that extra inch or so of grip or barrel that much harder to conceal. When it comes down to have to using the gun then you've got one that's easier to handle and control, etc.

Now depending on your size/build, this can be argued - a guy 140 pounds and a 28" waist may have trouble with this. I'm medium height and pack a few extra pounds I admit, so in my case it's not difficult and the full sized pistol is my preference. I also have a SigPro in 9mm that I've carried extensively. I just shove it in my waistband on the right side with grip forward ("mexican carry") and hang a t-shirt over it. I've never once had anyone notice it in 25+ yrs.

CaptainDooley
07-21-10, 16:40

But, to each his own.

When I started carrying all I owned was a full size 1911 - I couldn't afford a new gun and didn't want to part with the 1911. I bought good gear and was able to carry it with shorts and a t-shirt. I have since started carrying an M&P 9 FS and am enjoying the lighter weight and higher capacity. Again, since I bought good gear I can still carry it with shorts and a t-shirt on... So I see no point in getting a smaller gun, when I can carry this just fine and shoot it much better than my wife's compact M&P.

Seraph
07-21-10, 16:51
It has already been said very well - A proper holster and belt will allow fully discreet and comfortable carry of most full sized service type pistols, for most people.

nickdrak
07-21-10, 16:51
Capacity, Controllability, Accuracy, and Reliability (in many platforms).

I'm not a big fan of carrying a true "fullsize" pistol on or off-duty. I prefer a midsized pistol such as the standard M&P9 or even a Glock 19 which I believe are the best size compromise for a carry pistol.

In regards to fullsized 5" 1911's, I believe it is more about reliabilty than any other factor.

BMWguy206
07-21-10, 16:58
My instructor at ITTS (Uncle Scotty) told me that he carries a full size 1911 for CCW. His reasons are better grip and better sight radius.

He also said he would only carry a compact or subcompact size as a backup.

joffe
07-21-10, 17:03
It makes perfect sense for those who can pull it off.

toekneeg
07-21-10, 17:19
I carry a M&P9 compact now. The way I see it, if something is to come up, 12 rounds should do the job. I'm hoping and praying, but I think it will only be one person I am up against. Even if there were more, that is what the extra mag is for.

I have practiced enough with my compact that I can consistently hit my targets at 15 - 35 yards. Trigger time is key with any carry weapon. Find out which is best for you.

DocGKR
07-21-10, 17:28
As noted, service/duty full size pistols (4-5" barrel) tend to be more reliable and are often easier to shoot. I've carried pistols like the M1911, 92F/M9, P228/P226, S&W4566, G19/G17, M&P40/45 full-size, etc... for over two decades without any issues.

Army Chief
07-21-10, 17:34
The holster design issue is of paramount concern, no doubt. Another relevant factor can very well be body type. Some guys are doing well to conceal a Kahr, while others may be able to pack a Desert Eagle discreetly. I'm not one of the latter guys.

Where you carry (position on the body) is also relevant, of course, and in a quality behind-the-hip rig, I've never really had a problem with full-size autoloaders. Granted, I favor the P7 and 1911, both of which are unusually flat, but back in my P226 and 92F days, this was still entirely possible.

As stated, most compact variants involve a shorter slide, and often, a truncated grip. Few, if any, really address the width/girth/bulk of the base pistol, and that is probably more of a concern than something like slide length. At the risk of redundancy, however, the core issue here is not full-size versus compact, so much as it is one of very careful holster selection. Given the right leather, a small man can carry a 5" 1911 easily. Given a poor choice, well ... you can conjure of your own mental image for that. The remaining variable is probably weight, and unless we're talking about a substantial difference, I just don't see carrying a full-size pistol as any more of a challenge to carry in most settings. For this reason, and those pertaining to functional characteristics, capacity and ease of operation, I still see full-size pistols as a viable option.

AC

kal
07-21-10, 17:45
Some guys are doing well to conceal a Kahr

Funny you mention that.

I was thinking about investing in a Kahr PM40 for hip carry, if possible.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_40sw_pm.html

El Cid
07-21-10, 18:05
Small Handguns: Easier to conceal, more likely to have with you. However, they have more recoil, shorter sight radius, fewer available rounds, and shorter grip making control more difficult in most cases. As mentioned already - often less reliable (esp. so with 1911's).

Full size Handguns: Harder to conceal, but not unmanageable. Less recoil, longer sight radius, higher velocity, higher capacity, more grip area for better control, and more reliable.

Why not carry the largest handgun you can comfortably get away with? Are there times when I sometimes have just a G27 or j-frame on me? Once in a while. Day to day though I have a G22 w/ X300 on me while on duty, and a Para P14-45 off duty. With the right holster, they are invisible.

Look at IWB holsters and you will be amazed at what you can hide successfully. It may require buying pants that have an extra inch or two in the waist, but it'll be worth it when you can hide a full size handgun under an untucked t-shirt. :)

Complication
07-21-10, 18:20
Look at IWB holsters and you will be amazed at what you can hide successfully. It may require buying pants that have an extra inch or two in the waist, but it'll be worth it when you can hide a full size handgun under an untucked t-shirt. :)

I'm way too skinny to wear any OWB holster I've come across. With IWB, however, the flare out added by my pants/shorts (i.e. the protrusion is spread out under the pants rather than poking out outside of them) allows me to conceal under a t-shirt if I'm careful. I had this discussion this past weekend at a class about mag carriers. We decided I'd be best going with an IWB mag carrier (which tends to stick uncomfortably into my side) or an OWB carrier which is a little flared like most RCS gear.

Magic_Salad0892
07-21-10, 20:18
I shoot a Glock 17 better than a 19.

That's why I carry the 17. (IMHO the best Glock out there.)

But I would be willing to use the 19 in a defensive situation.

calvin118
07-21-10, 20:31
I shoot my full size M&P9 a whole lot better than my M&P9c. It indexes better with my hand, and I am able to find my grip and draw faster. My grip with the full size is also much firmer. The recoil is significantly less with the full size, and shot recovery is noticeably faster. The full size disappears under khaki shorts and a tee shirt with a Shaggy AIWB holster, and it is perfectly comfortable. I also get an extra five rounds of ammo.

Because the extra frame length does not show, the only disadvantages to me are a small amount of extra weight and a bit of extra slide length to navigate when I sit. In my mind, these issues are far outweighed by the advantages listed above.

M4Fundi
07-21-10, 20:44
I have always carried fullsize and prefer it, buuuut now that I live in a less friendly CCW carry state that is very hot... I am worried more & more about getting "made" and having big city LEOs show up with a less than understanding introduction. In MT where I lived EVERYONE carried and when at the grocery store you could see MANY OWB holsters peaking or poking out from under shirts & vests and locals and LEOs could care less, but now in Austin (where they have routinely closed down the gunshows to the point that gunshows no longer try to locate here) and the local majority (to me) seem less than gun friendly I am considering trying to maybe find a carry gun that prints even less than my P-35. Family here because of this carry alot of 380 which I do not care for... I actually prefer a 45 and was seriously considering switching to a M&P in 45, but now wonder if I should stick with some compact 9mm. :confused:

G_M
07-21-10, 20:46
I recently found that I can conceal a G34 as easily as I can conceal a G19, the grip is less than 1/2" longer. The barrel is the easiest part to conceal.

I believe with the proper holster carrying a G34 will be a viable. And my G34 is faaaaaaar better to shoot than my G19.

Seraph
07-21-10, 21:04
I have always carried fullsize and prefer it, buuuut now that I live in a less friendly CCW carry state that is very hot... I am worried more & more about getting "made" and having big city LEOs show up with a less than understanding introduction. In MT where I lived EVERYONE carried and when at the grocery store you could see MANY OWB holsters peaking or poking out from under shirts & vests and locals and LEOs could care less, but now in Austin (where they have routinely closed down the gunshows to the point that gunshows no longer try to locate here) and the local majority (to me) seem less than gun friendly I am considering trying to maybe find a carry gun that prints even less than my P-35. Family here because of this carry alot of 380 which I do not care for... I actually prefer a 45 and was seriously considering switching to a M&P in 45, but now wonder if I should stick with some compact 9mm. :confused:

I generally carry a 5" 1911. Sometimes, I carry a Hi-Power. Sometimes, a Glock 19. Any of these guns ride invisibly, and comfortably, all day long, in one of my IWB holsters. Now, I don't dress in tight clothes, like some kind of European disco queen, but I don't need a "shoot me first vest" to conceal my sidearm either. It can be done. I'd say stick with your preferred sidearm, and work out a way to carry it discreetly.

Jerm
07-21-10, 22:32
I shoot my full size M&P9 a whole lot better than my M&P9c. It indexes better with my hand, and I am able to find my grip and draw faster. My grip with the full size is also much firmer. The recoil is significantly less with the full size, and shot recovery is noticeably faster...I also get an extra five rounds of ammo...

Same here.

The sight radius,recoil management,and capacity easily trump the slightly more pleasant size/weight of the compact IMO.I've heard alot of people claim "I shoot my compact better than the FS"...I find myself wondering how big of a sample they used...Or where I can get ahold of whatever physics they're using.Slow fire accuracy was nearly as good with compact...Everything else noticeably suffered.

I found that I much prefered shooting the FS at the range and that's what I should be carrying(all of the time).I just sold my M&P9c in order to buy another FS 9.

I not only conceal a full size M&P9 but I also have an X300 mounted.I'm carrying OWB in a RCS PhantomLC...Heatgear type tee shirts with thin,oversized,short sleeve,button up over top (in the summer)...Same thing I was using to conceal the compact works for the FS...

I hate small guns.

I thought the 9c was just large enough to be servicable...

DocGKR
07-22-10, 00:58
Personally, I find the M&P9/40 fullsize or M&P45 midsize to be equivalent to carrying a G19.

M&P45 mid-size compared to a G19:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7068&filename=G19_M&P45mid.jpg

Here is a G19 sitting ON TOP of a M&P45 mid-size:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7069&filename=G19%20on%20M&P45mid.jpg

thopkins22
07-22-10, 01:02
Excellent comparison Doc. With the exception of the beaver tail I can't tell much difference at all.

tpd223
07-22-10, 05:17
Using IWB for carry I find it no harder to conceal a G34 than anything smaller. The barrel is the hard part to hide, generally speaking.

... although, i the very hot weather lately I'd finding my G19 kind of nice.

jmoore
07-22-10, 06:39
As noted, service/duty full size pistols (4-5" barrel) tend to be more reliable and are often easier to shoot. ....

Add to this the fact that some of us are 6'5" & 290#, and them itty bitty lil concelament guns just don't seem to fit our hands properly. Oh yeh - and some of us are trapped in that economic and political hell known as Illinois - so the concept of CC isn't a reality that we'll see in this lifetime:(

jm

John_Wayne777
07-22-10, 06:59
Personally, I find the M&P9/40 fullsize or M&P45 midsize to be equivalent to carrying a G19.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7068&filename=G19_M&P45mid.jpg

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7069&filename=G19%20on%20M&P45mid.jpg

Along those lines, the full sized M&P is also just a tiny bit bigger than a Sig P239. The dimensions of the M&P are a positive boon to those who carry concealed.

VirginiaTactical
07-22-10, 07:07
Excellent comparison Doc. With the exception of the beaver tail I can't tell much difference at all.

you can get the beavertail removed for 35 bucks by burwell gunsmithing. Here is a link

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/Services.htm

They have pictures as well, looks hot!

I carry a M&P9C, appendage carry. I have no problems with it or my small M&P =). That being said, when summer is gone I carry a M&P 9L with an x300. For days that I get to wear a sportscoat or wintercoat.

Usually the 9C works well for me though. I highly prefer a larger firearm, but when its summer, you have shorts on, and a tshirt, .. I take the 9C, and sometimes I can barely feel that it is there.

gtmtnbiker98
07-22-10, 09:30
you can get the beavertail removed for 35 bucks by burwell gunsmithing. Here is a link

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/Services.htm

They have pictures as well, looks hot!

I carry a M&P9C, appendage carry. I have no problems with it or my small M&P =). That being said, when summer is gone I carry a M&P 9L with an x300. For days that I get to wear a sportscoat or wintercoat.

Usually the 9C works well for me though. I highly prefer a larger firearm, but when its summer, you have shorts on, and a tshirt, .. I take the 9C, and sometimes I can barely feel that it is there."Appendage carry," does that mean ankle? Couldn't resist.

VirginiaTactical
07-22-10, 09:34
"Appendage carry," does that mean ankle? Couldn't resist.

Appendix oops =P

JonInWA
07-22-10, 10:02
I think that it's more important to determine the gun that you're most effective with, within reasonable parameters, and then judiciously choose one's holster, belt, and clothing appropriately-with alternatives when the above criteria demands another/smaller/slimmer choice.

I'm not huge, but I can easily and comfortably carry my Glock G21, or my G19, and maintain a professional demeanor, without printing.

Best, Jon

G_M
07-22-10, 11:06

So that is about the same amount the G34 grip sticks below the G19. The barrel is longer of course but that is the easy part to conceal so really the differences isn't that much.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-22-10, 11:44
I think the original post makes a lot of sense. The older I get the more I gravitate towards compact or subcompact guns. Sure I would rather have a P30/G17 if I get into a fight. But reality and being a working professional and father just doesn't allow me the luxury of carrying a full sized gun most of the time. Plus they just plain suck to carry. I think people gravitate towards them because they are easy to shoot (large guns). I know that is why I carried one for so long. These days I am focusing on shooting my compacts better--rather than shooting full sized and carrying compact.

Sry0fcr
07-22-10, 11:53
In my world that's not much room for fullsized guns for concealed carry. I could "get away" with carrying my old G19/Raven combo, but depending on what I was wearing it was noticeable that something was there even if you didn't know what it was I personally wouldn't try anything taller. I was for the most part depending on other people to not notice or not care which is actually surprisingly effective since most people walk around in condition white, totally oblivious as to what's going on around them. I decided that wasn't the wisest thing to depend on especially after that guy in Nevada got made at Costco and ended up dead. I'm a small guy 5'6" 32" waist there just wasn't space on my sides to hide it well enough for me, the butt of the gun was the biggest problem. At this point I've pretty much resolved to get something with a slightly shorter butt M&P Compact and to give appendix carry a shot. I don't mind BBL length but there's not too many choices on the market with a service sized barrel and a compact grip/height. My perfect carry gun has a 4" bbl, a sub 5" height, and a single stack magazine. I pretty much just described a CCO but I don't have the money/patience/confidence to carry/keep a 1911 variant at the moment.

jdavis6576
07-22-10, 12:14
The only issue I had with the M&P 9/40 FS is that the height is equal to a G17, which for me is 1/2" too tall which is why I carry a G19.

HK45
07-22-10, 13:46
I much prefer full sized pistols and carry them all the time. The smallest pistol I will carry is a Glock 19. I use a full size pistol because thats what I shoot with the most and because I can get a full grip. If I don't have a full grip then I don't have full control. Which I barely can on a Glock 19. I carried full size 1911's for years for work and personal use and can easily carry an HK 45 or M&P .45 in Raven holsters. Mostly I carry a Glock 17 these days, sometimes the 19. Carrying full complement of ammo doesn't hurt either. You can carry pretty much anything with the right holster and the will to do it. I live in Phoenix btw with hot weather but there are plenty of shirts that cover my OWB holsters.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/IMG_1260.jpg

HK45
07-22-10, 13:49
Along those lines, the full sized M&P is also just a tiny bit bigger than a Sig P239. The dimensions of the M&P are a positive boon to those who carry concealed.

Absolutely. One of the really nice things about the M&P being a newer design is you have a full size pistol that is still pretty compact with a full complement of ammo while allowing a full grip and excellent recoil control.

Omega Man
07-22-10, 14:45
I would never go smaller than a G19 for carry or anything else. I hate the way a G26 feels in my hands. My carry rotation includes a Sig P226, P229, HK P30 and a G19. They are all quite comfortable with a Desantis leather or Raven Phantom holster.

John_Wayne777
07-22-10, 15:17
Yup. That's one of the benefits of appendix carry. Most of us have a wider profile up front than we do from the side, meaning it's easier to conceal a gun on the front of our body than on the hip. A good friend of Todd's who happens to be a federal agent was at the first "Speed Kills" class with us. He isn't a very big dude...but he was packing a full-sized agency-issued 1911 invisibly in an appendix holster.

adh
07-22-10, 15:33
It's been said before so nothing special coming from me, but you really have to find what works best for you with both guns and gear. Different body types lend to different carry needs. At 6'4" and 210, I have no problem concealing a full size pistol even when wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I carry a Glock 17 or full size M&P 45 in a Raven Phantom OWB. I carried IWB for years, but am much more comfortable OWB so now that is primary for me. I gave up the G19 for the G17 because that was better for me. You have to find what works best for you.

Sry0fcr
07-22-10, 18:15
Yup. That's one of the benefits of appendix carry. Most of us have a wider profile up front than we do from the side, meaning it's easier to conceal a gun on the front of our body than on the hip. A good friend of Todd's who happens to be a federal agent was at the first "Speed Kills" class with us. He isn't a very big dude...but he was packing a full-sized agency-issued 1911 invisibly in an appendix holster.

I'm counting on this to help me hid i when I get my new setup going.

skyugo
07-22-10, 19:09
the biggest thing i notice with carrying my g19 as opposed to my G26 is that i can get a good grip on it and draw it faster.
the 26 is fine for taking to class and work and stuff (low profile, though my school allows CCW) but i still carry the 19 whenever i can. slide length really has minimal effect on concealability, grip length, even a 1/2", in my opinion can make a huge difference in concealability and carrying comfort though.

Bulldog7972
07-23-10, 08:36

A federal agency issues a 1911? Interesting. Can you tell us which agency? And what holster did he carry it in?

GlockWRX
07-23-10, 09:19
A federal agency issues a 1911? Interesting. Can you tell us which agency? And what holster did he carry it in?

My money is on FBI. They issue the Springfield Pro to agents on their regional SWAT teams, and I *think* the HRT guys are using it now as well, but I'm not sure.

jstephens202
07-23-10, 09:26
Like many other posters, I prefer one of my full size 1911's for EDC. Long ago I "bought" into the theory that concealed carry is a lifestyle choice in that all my wardrobe is arranged around the fact that I carry daily. For times when a full size 1911 is just impractical, I find that my Glock 36 combines my favorite .45 cartridge with a "deep concealment" size and yet has a full grip.

John_Wayne777
07-23-10, 09:50
A federal agency issues a 1911?

The Bureau issues 1911's to a limited number of agents.

And what holster did he carry it in?

CCC "Shaggy" holster.

dojpros
07-23-10, 10:00
Glennwrx is spot on re regional FBI SWAT and HRT getting Springfield Pro 1911s after completing the 1911 transition school.

RSA-OTC
07-23-10, 10:01
I've always been a bring your best girl to the party kind of guy. If it's a compact so be it. If its a full size, good on you mate as one of my old bosses use to say. We all are different and each gun interacts differently with each person. There are many on this forum who find they shoot a compact best and just as many who find they do better with a full size. Unless you are deep under cover all are concealable with a little ingenuity.

The point is to give ourselves the BEST chance of accurate rounds on target in the least time. All other considerations such as reduced ammo capacity etc. become mute.

JBone870
07-23-10, 10:18
- A proper holster and belt will allow fully discreet and comfortable carry of most full sized service type pistols, for most people.

I completely agree with this. I am 155 lbs, with a 32 in. waist. I also carry a full size USP 45 regularly in a Don Humes Leather holster in the 4-5 o'clock position with no problems. Is it the best possible option? Not for everyone, but it works for me.

willowofwisp
07-23-10, 10:36
The Bureau issues 1911's to a limited number of agents.

CCC "Shaggy" holster.

The DEA is also issuing the Pro to some agents now..

smullen
07-24-10, 22:27

But, to each his own.

:NOD:

I fully agree... I guess being 6'4"-5" 280+ LBS, I have a bigger frame to conceal mine on...

I daily carry either a G22 or G35.... Sometime an XDM40, but mostly the 22...

I can fit my big paw on a compact very well, FORGET the Subcompacts...

teufelhunden72
07-24-10, 23:58
bought my first glock a few weeks ago i went with full size g22 gen4 at first it seemed a little large to be concealed but after buying a blackhawk serpa holster it hides pretty well if positioned right im proud of my choice for its my first new hand gun

SIGguy229
07-25-10, 03:45
I carried a P226/9mm for years....and occasionally, still do (well, a P226/.40....9mm was stolen from my house years ago).

Then I found the P229/.40

ShipWreck
07-25-10, 08:12
My first carry gun was a 1911 5" - but when trying to carry OWB, I found I couldn't do it. Then I jumped to a Glock 26, which I carried for 8 years. Then bounced around to a few other guns of similiar size.

When i found myself carrying a USPc 45 (IWB - my 1st attempt at IWB carry with a really good holster)) - I noticed that my Beretta 92FS has almost the same length of grip.

For the heck of it, I bought a Comptac IWB holster for my Beretta 92FS.

I've been carrying it for a year now. I bought an HK P2000 earlier ths year, to be my summer carry. However, after I got some NP3 coated grip screws for my Beretta 92, the rusting issue of the grip screws has gone away. I carry the 92FS all the time now.

I love the feel of it and the weight balance. I did also buy a railed Beretta (M9A1), but the weight of the balance and the frame checkering throws the balance off for me just a tiny, tiny bit when I hold it 1 handed. So, I went back to the 92FS.

And, I'm not a big guy.. 6'1" and 176 lbs.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/EDC-2.jpg

El Mac
07-25-10, 09:11
But as I learn more about concealed carry and handguns, I realize that a full sized handgun makes absolutely no sense.

Really? :rolleyes: I couldn't disagree more.

chavez_e_chavez
07-25-10, 09:21
its what you can afford, we all cant have 25 handguns....i started with a 5'' xd and then bought a XDM 9mm full size, then when i could afford a CC, i purchased a xd-40 Sub-compact..With the right holster and clothes you can conceal a watermelon if you had to...:big_boss::big_boss::big_boss:

Deaj
07-25-10, 12:42
Definitely a personal preference thing. I've been carrying compact 9mm pistols for close to 20 years. This is what works for me. I've carried a full sized pistol concealed in the past and have no problem doing so. Either works well - it's all about personal preference.

smullen
07-25-10, 13:37
bought my first glock a few weeks ago i went with full size g22 gen4 at first it seemed a little large to be concealed but after buying a blackhawk serpa holster it hides pretty well if positioned right im proud of my choice for its my first new hand gun

I've got one of those Serpas, great looking, comfortable and not afraid that I'll lose my G22 outta that thing for any reason...

for CCW, I do prefer a Blade-tech Nano... http://www.blade-tech.com/NANO-IWB-pr-1141.html

Bulldog7972
07-26-10, 08:39
Really? :rolleyes: I couldn't disagree more.

I agree with your disagreement. While I usually carry a compact pistol, when I compare it to the full size version (228 vs. 226), there really isn't that much difference in size. Weight, maybe. But that can be compensated for by a good belt/holster.