PDA

View Full Version : expensive ouch..

Travelingchild
07-21-10, 18:43
Recently got into reloading, dillon square deal progressive set up for 200grain semi wadcutter, hs6 at 8.5grains, my once shot brass blazer & winchester, & assorted range brass. 150 rds cci primers the rest winchester.

200 rounds fired fine, took gun home cleaned/lubed it.
next range session, 1 shot, slide stuck past slide release.
,cleared mag. nothing in barrel
At home used wooden mallet to return to battery, began disassembly barrel would not come out of slide, oil soak inserted spent brass in barrel tapped out with rod.
found this buldge
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/dirty%20eb/barrel0071.jpg Thoughts

MistWolf
07-23-10, 15:16
Your description is indicative of firing a round with a bullet is lodged in the barrel

m4fun
07-23-10, 18:35
Ouch! Yep - could be a bulge from over-pressues, but I have only seen these from super low charge(or no charge) just enough to push bullet into chamber followed up by second shot that forced it out. Lucky that it didnt come back the other way. Pays off to be aware of and know the nuances of your weapon, looking for the funny pop or "why didnt anything get on target?" Had this happen with an Uzi barrel in full auto once, and they are built like tanks.

Good advertisement for having blaster/training barrels here.

If you think its an over-charge, Dillon makes little devices to check for under/over charging - not sure if they work with square deal - does with my 1050 ;)

chadbag
07-24-10, 01:48
The best powder checker is something God gave you at birth == your eyeballs. Take it slow and look in each case as you load. You can usually see into most pistol cases and you should know what you need to see in each case.

Glad the experience was just a bulged barrel and not a K-B

skyugo
07-24-10, 10:55
once the press is set up, all you really have to check is that each round gets a primer, and more importantly that each round gets powder. look in before you put the bullet on. I've made close to 10,000 rounds in the last couple years and never had an issue.