PDA

View Full Version : My new SPS Tactical.... budget build in progress

C-grunt
07-22-10, 01:56
So I decided recently to get back into distance shooting. Had a Savage 10FP before but sold it off a few years ago.

As you can see this is a budget build. My wife and I are trying to get credit card debt free right now, so dropping decent money on parts isnt gonna happen easily.

The Mueller scope I basically got for free from another rifle I purchased with it installed. I figure it will do until I can save up for another better scope. Im looking at the SS 10 power and the 3200 10 power tactical scopes right now. Anything else I should be looking at in that price range?

Obviously Im gonna be on the look out for good deals on used parts.

Next thing upgraded is going to be the stock. I like this Hogue stock actually but would love a HS Precision or McMillan. I live near McMillan and have talked to Kelly one day at lunch, so maybe I could get a factory cosmetic reject or something like that for cheap.:p

The bipod is a Rock Mount (or something like that). I didnt know Harris bipods went up so much since I bought my last one in 2006. I couldnt find one locally for under 115 bucks.:mad:

Total invested right now about 750 bucks.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/008-1.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/004-3.jpg

dbrowne1
07-22-10, 10:00
I recently acquired an almost identical setup (mine has the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x42 mildot already,though). I am new to "precision" shooting, though I've done very well at service rifle clinics and matches, Appleseed, etc. so my basic rifleman skills are decent.

Mine seems to be a "one hole" gun at 100 yards with Hornady 155 TAP from bipod prone, and once I ran the numbers I could dial in elevation and hit steel plates at 200, 300, 385, and 500 reliably.

The glass is more than serviceable for what I'm doing, but the stock needs a major upgrade, especially in the cheekweld department. I can feel my neck craning up and getting sore very quickly and I can almost feel the el-cheapo Hogue stock flexing and quivering when a shot breaks. I'd really like a McMillan A5 or something similar, but I too am a cheap bastard so I'm waiting to find a deal on a used one.

Other than that, it seems to be a great rifle. The action isn't butter smooth, but then it's a $500 factory gun.