PDA

View Full Version : 1-AA light on AR?

glen
07-22-10, 10:17
Looking to go AA on my rifle-mounted light as I am running a AA-powered optic also.

I currently run a Surefire 6Z with a P60 lamp and anything matching this in power and runtime is OK for my needs.

A search shows a multitude of 2-AA and even 1-AA lights that meet or exceed my spec.

I'm thinking of going 1-AA and the interesting ones so far are the Nightcore Defender Infinity, Quark Tactical R5, and the Fenix LD15. Will these stand up to mounted use? Are there any others better than these?

Any compelling reason NOT to go with an AA light?

TomMcC
07-22-10, 10:41
Because of their thin bodies, finding a mount might be a little tricky. What's the run time on this type?

Bimmer
07-22-10, 13:31
Because of their thin bodies, finding a mount might be a little tricky.

+1

I looked into this, but finding a .75" or .80" ring is virtually impossible. You're stuck using a 1" ring and some kind of bushing, which isn't the end of the world.

I have a Fenix L2T here in front of me, and it's terrific. I bought my mother a Fenix for her birthday (that's an endorsement).

Bimmer

Dennis
07-22-10, 15:23
How about these mounts for SF E series lights?

http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/surefire-e.series-mounts/

http://dangercloseconsulting.com/lowpro-executive-series-mount.html

http://www.vltor.com/scount-mount-cge.htm

Dennis.

TomMcC
07-22-10, 16:06
Dennis

Those mounts are a good bet. I looked up the diameter on the Quark AA, it is .86".

glen
07-22-10, 23:09
Hey Tom, are you referring to the 6Z with the P60? They give 60 lumens for around 60 mins on two 123A's. The 1-AA LEDs are around an hour or so for around 100 lumens which I think is an OK trade-off for the lighter weight and my needs.

I have a VTAC mount with sleeve for my 6Z so I'm all set to mount a .80" or so light.

glen
07-22-10, 23:18
+1

I looked into this, but finding a .75" or .80" ring is virtually impossible. You're stuck using a 1" ring and some kind of bushing, which isn't the end of the world.

I have a Fenix L2T here in front of me, and it's terrific. I bought my mother a Fenix for her birthday (that's an endorsement).

Bimmer

Hey Bimmer, I saw your thread here on AA tactical lights and it got me thinking on going single-AA.

I do have the VTAC with .80" sleeve so the mount won't be a problem.

How do you find the L2T? I see they get great reviews but would they be up to being mounted near the muzzle of an AR?

glen
07-22-10, 23:32
How about these mounts for SF E series lights?

http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/surefire-e.series-mounts/

http://dangercloseconsulting.com/lowpro-executive-series-mount.html

http://www.vltor.com/scount-mount-cge.htm

Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I really like the Gearsector mount, I didn't know they came out with a .80" version, thanks!

I noticed in Bimmer's thread that you suggested the Quark AA tactical. How do the Quarks compare with the Nitecore and Fenix AA models? Would any of these be viable mounted near the muzzle of an AR?

Dennis
07-23-10, 00:54
Hi Dennis, I really like the Gearsector mount, I didn't know they came out with a .80" version, thanks!

I noticed in Bimmer's thread that you suggested the Quark AA tactical. How do the Quarks compare with the Nitecore and Fenix AA models? Would any of these be viable mounted near the muzzle of an AR?

I don't think the Fenix AA has a good UI for weapon mounting, recoil can change the setting. the Quark Tactical AA would work just fine and give you 2 levels to choose from by rotating the bezel. Of course, I would rather go lithium 123 but I see no reason AA wouldn't work if you are OK with the lower runtime, self-discharge, and cold weather performance :)

Dennis.

glen
07-23-10, 02:29
I don't think the Fenix AA has a good UI for weapon mounting, recoil can change the setting. the Quark Tactical AA would work just fine and give you 2 levels to choose from by rotating the bezel. Of course, I would rather go lithium 123 but I see no reason AA wouldn't work if you are OK with the lower runtime, self-discharge, and cold weather performance :)

Dennis.

Ah, I see what you mean on the Fenix. I'll be looking more closely at the Quark for this application.

I see your point regarding 123's vs AA, for weapons applications I am going strictly AA lithium. Would this help with the run-time, self-discharge, and cold weather issues or is it something inherent to the AA design?

The reason I am seriously considering AA is that besides standardization with my optic, where I am it is much easier to source for me, both day to day and SHTF for whatever reason. I'll also have the option to use alkalines which are everywhere. On the physical limitations of a single AA light, the current crop of single AA look to perform just as well or better run-time and output-wise as my current two-123A incandescent, which has proven fine for my low speed-high drag use. The reduced weight and size for the slightly better performance looks very tempting!

Dennis
07-23-10, 02:40
Ah, I see what you mean on the Fenix. I'll be looking more closely at the Quark for this application.

I see your point regarding 123's vs AA, for weapons applications I am going strictly AA lithium. Would this help with the run-time, self-discharge, and cold weather issues or is it something inherent to the AA design?

The reason I am seriously considering AA is that besides standardization with my optic, where I am it is much easier to source for me, both day to day and SHTF for whatever reason. I'll also have the option to use alkalines which are everywhere. On the physical limitations of a single AA light, the current crop of single AA look to perform just as well or better run-time and output-wise as my current two-123A incandescent, which has proven fine for my low speed-high drag use. The reduced weight and size for the slightly better performance looks very tempting!

Sure, AA lithiums are great if not a bit expensive but then you can run alkaline or LSD NIMH for training or practice. An AA light is a great form factor and is better than old P60 lamps so you are winning there.

Happy Lighted Shooting!

Dennis.

glen
07-23-10, 02:50
Sure, AA lithiums are great if not a bit expensive but then you can run alkaline or LSD NIMH for training or practice. An AA light is a great form factor and is better than old P60 lamps so you are winning there.

Happy Lighted Shooting!

Dennis.

That's great to know, will be trying the concept out! If it doesn't work for me worst is that I have one more EDC light than before, and you can't have too many lights. ;)