PDA

View Full Version : Camouflaging pistols for concealed carry

kal
07-22-10, 12:43
I see "costco guy" popping up in some threads and the incident seems to have an effect on some peoples decisions.

Let's leave the incident aside, and let's discuss the application and practicality of camo on concealed pistols. Specifically on the grip area of the pistol, assuming the carry method is IWB.

I'm not talking about "woodland" or "desert" camo. I'm talking about jean colored camo, or undershirt color/pattern camo.

I'm not trying to be silly, but trying to figure out something that could aid in throwing off a "concerned citizen" should you accidently brandish your pistol while moving, digging in your pockets, etc. We know shit happens in life.

You think this is possibly a good idea? I would love to see a custom paint job to see how it would work. Either that or cut pieces of actual material and glue them onto the weapon.

Or how about applying some velcro onto certain parts of the pistol and onto the various material that you plan to use and switch them out depending on what color pants/undershirt you are wearing.

BTW, this is not a troll thread, I'm dead serious. What ever means possible to keep the "concerned citizen" from destroying lives.

GermanSynergy
07-22-10, 12:49
Selecting the proper holster, method of carry, (Appendix/IWB etc), recieving quality training and being aware of one's surroundings / situational awareness will mitigate some of the risks involved with carrying a handgun. Coloring it, adding velcro, etc are not advised and probably won't help you if you're printing and someone notices. Just my 2 kopecks....

DarwinsLilHelper
07-22-10, 13:23
As far as the CCW pistol goes. I wear a lot of black t-shirts under baggy button down shirts...So a basic black grip goes with about anything.

The only concession I've ever made to CCW camouflage, have been to make leather and blue jean material velcro on covers for IWB belt loops and hooks. Because frankly, most hook and or loop systems aren't to well thought out and scream "LOOK UP AN INCH!!! THERE's A GUN THERE!!!".

I've even been known to grind a thick belt hook or loop down to the size of a standard blue jean or khaki Dockers sized belt loop and then sheath the hook or loop in what looks like a blue jean or khaki cloth so it looks just about like another belt loop.

Even Costo Employee's more than likely aren't standing around counting your belt loops to see if you've got a couple of extra loops on your jeans. As long as their not glaring black kydex.

Thats about as far as I go in the camouflage department. I'd be more worried about giving my CCW away by that new paint smell. If I Duracoated the thing every morning to match my wardrobe.

I think Duracoat patterns to match my collection of bad Hawaiian Shirts would eventually cost more than AMMO!

:p

Crow Hunter
07-22-10, 13:30
Selecting the proper holster, method of carry, (Appendix/IWB etc), recieving quality training and being aware of one's surroundings / situational awareness will mitigate some of the risks involved with carrying a handgun. Coloring it, adding velcro, etc are not advised and probably won't help you if you're printing and someone notices. Just my 2 kopecks....

I agree, with the added caveat of don't do things that draw attention to your gun. Don't fiddle with it, don't adjust it constantly, don't try to "cover it with your arm or hand.

Get a gun and holster that fits your body type and dress and ACT NATURAL!! Don't look like you are armed.

I carried a G26 IWB, with a 6P, my wallet and a digital camera and a NAA Guardian 32 as a backup, all over New Orleans last year the week before July 4th (in 104+ degree weather) without being stopped or noticed and saw all of the sights.

(And it wasn't camoflaged either.) :dirol:

DarwinsLilHelper
07-22-10, 13:32
I also tend to stay away from this whole Flat Dark Earth "lets try to look like a desert fighter" frame business on guns meant for CCW.

FDE grips stick out like a sore thumb against just about any clothing background.

GlockWRX
07-22-10, 13:59
I also tend to stay away from this whole Flat Dark Earth "lets try to look like a desert fighter" frame business on guns meant for CCW.

FDE grips stick out like a sore thumb against just about any clothing background.

I respectfully disagree. Sheeple have been conditioned by movies that guns are black. A tan framed gun, if exposed for a split second, might not immediately scream "Gun"! like a black framed gun would. Also, if the frame and slide are different colors, it might help break up the outline against like colored shirts; say a black or tan shirt making an FDE and black gun more difficult to discern.

I've placed black inner tube over the grip of my OD Glock grip and against a black shirt it is difficult to tell what it is at a glance. The outline of the gun is broken up pretty well.

Blade-Tech used to offer (they might still) a denim patterned kydex for their holsters.

The mode of carry I think is most difficult to hide is the open bottom belt slide holster. It exposes the muzzle of the weapon and is pretty easy for even a layman to identify if the overshirt rides up. If someone saw the bottom of my RCS holster, I doubt they could tell what it was right away.

subzero
07-22-10, 14:01
I've even been known to grind a thick belt hook or loop down to the size of a standard blue jean or khaki Dockers sized belt loop and then sheath the hook or loop in what looks like a blue jean or khaki cloth so it looks just about like another belt loop.

I just wear a black belt and buy black holsters.

kry226
07-22-10, 14:10
What about the OD Glock frames that are available? Yea or nay?

TOrrock
07-22-10, 14:32
I think you're over thinking this tremendously.

GermanSynergy nailed it.

Crow Hunter
07-22-10, 14:47
What about the OD Glock frames that are available? Yea or nay?

Slight thread drift....

If you want one you better buy it now. They are being discontinued.

John_Wayne777
07-22-10, 15:26
I'm not trying to be silly, but trying to figure out something that could aid in throwing off a "concerned citizen" should you accidently brandish your pistol while moving, digging in your pockets, etc. We know shit happens in life.

You think this is possibly a good idea?

I do. I generally wear black t-shirts underneath my concealment shirt. My guns are generally black...and the holster is black. Thus if my concealment garment flies open (open front garment) or if the shirt tail rides up because I was reaching for something, the black gun in the black holster against the black t-shirt doesn't contrast and catch the eye like a FDE framed gun would.

This shouldn't be something you rely on by any means...proper concealment should always be plans A-F...but it doesn't hurt to make your blaster less noticeable should you need to go with plan G.

BTW, this is not a troll thread, I'm dead serious. What ever means possible to keep the "concerned citizen" from destroying lives.

I wouldn't go velcroing stuff to my gun...I'd just buy t-shirts that don't provide a big contrast with the weapon itself so as to avoid drawing the eye to it.

skyugo
07-22-10, 19:14
Slight thread drift....

If you want one you better buy it now. They are being discontinued.

i got one :D love the look.
for CCW i think black is more likely to blend. i occasionally pocket carry my 26 in my carhart pants, and that's black, thankfully, an OD gun woudl stick out if somebody were at teh right angle to look into my pocket.

usmcvet
07-22-10, 19:40
I would not put anything on the gun either. I think good holster selection along with a quality belt for IWB or belt carry is a must. You could look at something like a fanny pack. Some of the newer designs do not scream I have a gun like they used to.

Pocket carry has worked best for me. It is all a compromise. I carry a G27 in the right front pocket and a spare mag in a Galco pocket mag holder in the left front pocket. It is comfortable and well concealed. The biggest draw back I have is a seated draw ain't gonna be very fast.

I carry this way every day and have for more than fifteen years. The last two with the G27 when I retired my J Frame to back up status. There was a sort period where I tried a Kahr pistol. I have never had an issue.

I can not think of a way my weapon would be noticed by anyone unless they physically searched me. If that is happening we have other issues.
:sad:

Seraph
07-22-10, 21:16
I do. I generally wear black t-shirts underneath my concealment shirt. My guns are generally black...and the holster is black. Thus if my concealment garment flies open (open front garment) or if the shirt tail rides up because I was reaching for something, the black gun in the black holster against the black t-shirt doesn't contrast and catch the eye like a FDE framed gun would.

That, right there. Good concealment means never having to say you're sorry.

John_Wayne777
07-23-10, 07:40
I'll follow up on my earlier post by saying that I don't always wear a black t-shirt...but if I'm going somewhere that makes me feel like I need to have my primary carry gun on me and yet getting caught with it might result in life altering consequences, I make sure I'm wearing the black t-shirt to give me that extra margin of error.

I don't rely on it and I do my best to ensure it's never an issue...but sometimes life sucks and any advantage you can give yourself ahead of time can really help you out when Mr. Murphy has the hots for you.

Spurholder
07-23-10, 10:53
The only concession I've made in this area is getting my RCS Phantom in coyote instead of black. I wear khaki pants or shorts 99% of the time, and it does "blend" a little, I suppose.

But I absolutely concur with GS on everything he said :thumbup:

QuickStrike
07-23-10, 15:37
I would prefer a tactical denim color. :p

Spraying the gun with a light blue, and then lightly spraying white on it through some fine netting might work.

Reddevil
07-24-10, 13:37
With so many people carrying Blackberries and other smartphones on the belt, a black handgun grip is probably the least obvious. If you're concerned about flashing your CCW, carry AIWB. I've never been worried about printing or flashing my handgun in the 5 years I've been carrying AIWB.

Entropy
07-24-10, 13:43
Dark, baggy shirts mask your carry piece pretty well. Especially black. When I carry off duty, I don't like people knowing that I am carrying either so I usually carry my subcompact or compact to minimize any weapon signature and have my badge positioned next to the pistol just in case someone sees it. As GermanSynergy said, it is a combination of factors that come into play. I'm a strong believing in ensuring that no one knows that you are armed.

Surf
07-24-10, 14:03
Paint a phone keypad and digital screen on the grip of the pistol.

http://cellphones.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/cell-phone-with-security.jpg:haha:

skyugo
07-24-10, 18:30
Dark, baggy shirts mask your carry piece pretty well. Especially black. When I carry off duty, I don't like people knowing that I am carrying either so I usually carry my subcompact or compact to minimize any weapon signature and have my badge positioned next to the pistol just in case someone sees it. As GermanSynergy said, it is a combination of factors that come into play. I'm a strong believing in ensuring that no one knows that you are armed.

don't want to start a shitstorm.. but.... CCW badges.

i got to thinking about this again after seeing a guy on campus with a glock...and a badge. i think he was an armored car guy. seeing the badge put me immediately at ease.
would having a small badge near your gun be a bad idea?

NMBigfoot02
07-24-10, 21:50

i got to thinking about this again after seeing a guy on campus with a glock...and a badge. i think he was an armored car guy. seeing the badge put me immediately at ease.

Not sure how that would play with laws concerning impersonation of a police officer if you were sighted with it.

pilotguyo540
07-24-10, 22:12

I know what badge you are talking about. The ad does say 100% legal for ccw holders. That would be a great way to keep the d bags at bay. May have saved the poor costco guy.

John_Wayne777
07-24-10, 22:20
I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm more worried about an impersonation charge for having the badge than I am about one of the sheep spotting my roscoe and freaking out because they don't see a badge.

skyugo
07-25-10, 17:39
I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm more worried about an impersonation charge for having the badge than I am about one of the sheep spotting my roscoe and freaking out because they don't see a badge.

it would be nice to hear some LE guys from this site weigh in. it seems to me that if the badge said CCW, and you made no claim of being a cop, that an impersonation charge would not stick. :confused:
it certainly isn't somethign i'd go waving around yelling "stop weapons permit!" :D

HeavyDuty
07-25-10, 18:06
Back on the original topic, in the early 90s I carried a then-new S&W 3913 in a DeSantis IWB. I switched the grips over to the grey ones off the LadySmith version because they were less noticeable against a white dress shirt if someone got a peek under my suit coat.

GermanSynergy
07-25-10, 22:22
IANAL- but here is my take on it:

Asking for trouble. It "may" work with the casual observer, but if an LEO sees it and questions you, you could be in a precarious legal situation, with you explaining the need to carry a badge and a gun, w/o being a sworn LEO.

Additionally, if you are involved in an incident where you had to either present or fire your handgun, and the authorities see you with a badge, it could lead to additional trouble- such as them viewing you as a Walter Mitty looking for trouble, lone wolf, etc.

Long story short, lots of cons and not a single pro I can think of.

skyugo
07-25-10, 23:12
IANAL- but here is my take on it:

Asking for trouble. It "may" work with the casual observer, but if an LEO sees it and questions you, you could be in a precarious legal situation, with you explaining the need to carry a badge and a gun, w/o being a sworn LEO.

Additionally, if you are involved in an incident where you had to either present or fire your handgun, and the authorities see you with a badge, it could lead to additional trouble- such as them viewing you as a Walter Mitty looking for trouble, lone wolf, etc.

Long story short, lots of cons and not a single pro I can think of.

fair enough.. thanks. i'll stick with carefully concealed.

John_Wayne777
07-26-10, 07:57
It's also worth remembering that if a LE officer says you are impersonating and decides to press the issue on you, even if he's nowhere near the legal definition of impersonating you're still going to end up with a court case to deal with...and that's expensive and time consuming. Add in a prosecutor who for whatever reason decides he wants to make an example of you...

...it's just a recipe for disaster.

TOrrock
07-26-10, 12:11
1) Get a handgun of a good, proven design.

2) Get a good, well designed belt and holster.

3) Ammo.

4) TRAINING.

5) Practice.

Think about your wardrobe, taking into consideration climate, area, etc. and adapt it around your carry piece.

Stop over thinking things. If you look uncomfortable, if you look stessed, if you fiddle with your holster, etc., you draw attention to yourself.

Be cool.

usmcvet
07-26-10, 16:25
1) Get a handgun of a good, proven design.

2) Get a good, well designed belt and holster.

3) Ammo.

4) TRAINING.

5) Practice.

Think about your wardrobe, taking into consideration climate, area, etc. and adapt it around your carry piece.

Stop over thinking things. If you look uncomfortable, if you look stessed, if you fiddle with your holster, etc., you draw attention to yourself.

Be cool.

Attitude and confidence play a huge part in our success. The longer we carry the easier it gets.

variablebinary
07-26-10, 16:40
I dont think this is a bizarre notion.

We are programmed to instantly recognize a black or shiny handgun. An FDE gun might not get attention as quickly, but its not substitute for good concealment practices.

demkofour
07-26-10, 20:41
It's also worth remembering that if a LE officer says you are impersonating and decides to press the issue on you, even if he's nowhere near the legal definition of impersonating you're still going to end up with a court case to deal with...and that's expensive and time consuming. Add in a prosecutor who for whatever reason decides he wants to make an example of you...

...it's just a recipe for disaster.

Here in NY, the badge could certainly lead to some legal complications:

190.26 Criminal impersonation in the first degree.
A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the first degree when
he:
1. Pretends to be a police officer, or wears or displays without
authority, any uniform, badge or other insignia or facsimile thereof, by
which such police officer is lawfully distinguished or expresses by his
words or actions that he is acting with the approval or authority of any
police department;
Criminal impersonation in the first degree is a class E felony.

I totally concur with Templar and usmcvet!