PDA

View Full Version : Glock Guide rods...what you got?

Glockster35
06-16-07, 01:01
I am looking to get a guide rod for my G35. I will be running ISMI springs, but may switch to Wolff, depends on the load.

What rods do you suggest?

I ordered one from Tom Novak (SS ISMI extended) but I have not recieved it, nor have I received any confirmation he recieved my order.

So, I will purchase a different one and hope the Novak arrives.

Tungsten would be nice, but not a requirement, as I really don't want to spend $50 on this piece!

Robb Jensen
06-16-07, 07:35
For a G34/35 I'd suggest 'THE Extended Race Guiderod' (http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000009) from www.customglockracing.com

But if you don't want to spend much just use a Wolff steel Glock 17 (it's black) guide rod and a Wolff 15lb recoil spring. You should use the Wolff lighter striker spring when running a reduced recoil spring because the standard striker spring can keep the slide from going all the way into battery. The Wolff guide rod with a spring is something like $25 or $30

Either way if using a reduced power recoil spring and a reduced power striker spring. Clean your gun after every match or practice session and clean out the striker/firing pin channel during cleaning.

TheDutchman
06-18-07, 12:19
run a Wolff on a G23, seems to work just fine

losbronces
06-18-07, 14:30
Tungsten rod with ISMI 17 lb spring in a G34.

AMMOTECH
06-24-07, 17:55
My G19 has the original 17 year old stock plastic rod and spring.
Why Change a good thing?

I do plan to get the springs replaced for her 18th B-day.

Glockster35
06-24-07, 18:29
C'mon Dave,

Did you just say that polymer guide rods were a good thing? They are always the first thing to go when I get a new Glock! Second is plastic Glock sights if the pistol has them!

My G-35 is almost done, almost everything that can be changed has been, it is very nice!

losbronces
06-24-07, 18:34
Well, I think the heavier rod helps keep the muzzle down and on target better. But that could just be pyschological...

AMMOTECH
06-24-07, 18:46
C'mon Dave,

Did you just say that polymer guide rods were a good thing? They are always the first thing to go when I get a new Glock! Second is plastic Glock sights if the pistol has them!

My G-35 is almost done, almost everything that can be changed has been, it is very nice!

I had a brass rod way back when for a couple range trips but went back to the stock rod for what ever reason. I switched to meprolight night sights back in '91 after I busted the stock sights in a fight. I was taking a guy down trying to get him cuffed and landed on my right side. I got a nice bruise and my 19 got some new sights.

Low Drag
06-24-07, 20:28
I'm a 10mm fan and get my guide rods from Double Tap

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

I always put a stiffer spring in the 10mm than comes from the factory. 19 in the G20 and 21 with double spring/double steel rods for the G29.

ST911
06-26-07, 11:28
What rods do you suggest?

OEM Glock

Glockster35
06-26-07, 16:42
OK, I bought two stainless guide rods, one from ISMI (great quality and fits nice), the other is a Novak extended size to fit the G35, and I must say it is very nicely built. I prefer the Novak to the ISMI, simply because of the longer length.

abnk
08-01-07, 04:47
My G19 has the original 17 year old stock plastic rod and spring.
Why Change a good thing?

I do plan to get the springs replaced for her 18th B-day.

Mine barely has 1500 rounds through it, but when I cleaned it last night, I noticed that the end of the spring was rusty. It had also left rust residue on the slide pocket in which it fits. I know the round count is not near the end of life for the spring and rod, but I am curious: Does Glock suggest a certain round count to change them?

Thanks.

carshooter
08-01-07, 08:27
I used a Wilson Combat steel guide rod and spring in a Glock 22 9 years ago. The slide severely galled on the guide rod under recoil and within several hundred rounds exhibited deep gouges on both sides. The slide contacted the steel guide rod hard enough it actually visibly retarded the slide movement and cyclic speed.

I immediately abandoned the steel guide rod concept and returned to the stock spring set up in my Glock pistols.

Has anyone else experienced this?

ST911
08-01-07, 11:59
I used a Wilson Combat steel guide rod and spring in a Glock 22 9 years ago. The slide severely galled on the guide rod under recoil and within several hundred rounds exhibited deep gouges on both sides. The slide contacted the steel guide rod hard enough it actually visibly retarded the slide movement and cyclic speed...I immediately abandoned the steel guide rod concept and returned to the stock spring set up in my Glock pistols...Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, but with a different brand of rod. Mechanics are the same, though.

Most improvements, aren't, and folks will continue to make widgets because people will buy them. Not because they're needed for anything.

militarymoron
08-01-07, 12:15
i put a tungsten guide rod and flat spring in my G24C. it also galled up and i experienced some malfunctions that i didn't before, so i switched to a regular coil wolf spring and it works fine. the tungsten rod reduces the muzzle jump a bit.
in my G19, i just run a stock setup.

Gunfixr
08-02-07, 01:56
I switched to a 19 lb. Wolff spring in my 21 and made my own stainless captured guide rod. It was originally uncaptured, but it was a PITA to install and was galling a little as I had the diameter close to the hole in the slide. When I redesigned it, I reduced the diameter as part of the capturing process and it no longer galls. I would have just kept the polymer one if it would work with the new spring. I did fit a steel rod into the hole that runs up through the original to stiffen it a bit, and it hadn't affected how it worked.

Bonk2029
08-02-07, 05:14
I use the factory OEM recoil spring assembly in my G22, no problems at all through 12K rounds. If it breaks, whoopdedoo, it's only $3, and I have a spare on hand. :cool:

Striker5
08-02-07, 07:29
Stock. If it ain't broke...