PDA

View Full Version : ...how do I properly install my Ultimak

adh
07-22-10, 17:33
Original thread title "What Ultimak do I need for a Bulgarian AK74"

original post...

Want to get an Ultimak for my '74....thought I bought the right one from a member on TOS, but I believe I need the M2B and not the M1B....Oh well, guess I'll have to put the M1B on my Romanian AKM:)

Here's the deal

maybe I'm not attempting to install correctly. From what I've read on line this appears that it should be pretty straight forward. I bought my ultimak used from a member on TOS. It came with no instructions. How do I install this bitch:angry: It appears that I am going to have to shave the mounting screws down in order to use it with the factory wood handguard...Need your help/expertise please.

Thanks

NCPatrolAR
07-22-10, 17:59
I dont see why the 1B wouldnt work. I'm running one on my WASR-2

Joe R.
07-22-10, 18:07
FWIW, I have a M2-B on my Bulgy 74. YMMV.

helothar
07-22-10, 18:14
On a full sized Kalashnikov, it shouldn't matter whether the ultimak has the gas ports or not - either will work

96 SS
07-22-10, 19:03
IIRC the ones without holes are the ones you want

adh
07-22-10, 19:57
OK, maybe I should have explored further first.....
This from the ultimak website:
"All UltiMAK AK mounts are designed to be slightly shorter than the original gas tube."
Thought I must have bought the wrong thing....should have been smarter and realized that the upper handguard/gas piston tubes are the same length on my AKM and my '74

Anyone got installation instructions for an Ultimak that they could post. Seems simple enough, but not sure that I've dont it right

titsonritz
07-23-10, 00:04
If your ’74 is a 5.56 then you do want a M2-B model because the gas blow back on 5.56 guns can be quite heavy. If you’re running a 5.45 then you’re GTG with a M1-B. If you put it on a Romanian ’74 then you’ll need to pick up a barrel shim set (not needed on a 7.62).

NCPatrolAR
07-23-10, 01:50
If you put it on a Romanian ’74 then you’ll need to pick up a barrel shim set (not needed on a 7.62).

Not always true. I picked up a WASR-2 last month and did not need the shims. I have them sitting in my tool kit collecting dust now.

adh
07-23-10, 07:51
5.45x39 Bulgarian '74.....Haven't figured out the install yet, which amazes me. I can't imagine that I need to trim the screws that hold the mount to eh U braces, but that sure is what appears to be necessary to mate this to my lower handguard (OEM wooden lower handguard).

adh
07-24-10, 15:31
btt because I need help

titsonritz
07-24-10, 16:06
Not always true. I picked up a WASR-2 last month and did not need the shims. I have them sitting in my tool kit collecting dust now.

Does it have an original Romanian barrel or an American made replacement?

IrishDevil
07-24-10, 16:31
Does your wood handguard have the side bulges, or no?

Sometimes with non-bulged handguards you have to remove a small amount of wood for clearance.

adh
07-24-10, 17:42
Does your wood handguard have the side bulges, or no?

Sometimes with non-bulged handguards you have to remove a small amount of wood for clearance.

Typical buldged handguard