PDA

View Full Version : TROY Industries BUIS's in DE

C4IGrant
07-26-06, 19:39
I was talking with a customer today and they were looking at doing a DE weapon (rails, barrel, etc) and I mentioned to them that TROY made their excellent BUIS's in hard anodized DE. The customer was not aware of this and made me wonder if other folks knew that TROY Industries has perfected the hard anodized DE color. So here are some pics of the best flip up BUIS's on the market today.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/Rear%20BUIS%20DE%20Front.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/Rear%20BUIS%20DE%20Side.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/Rear%20BUIS%20mounted%20side.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/Front%20BUIS%20DE%20side.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/Front%20BUIS%20front.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/Front%20and%20Rear%20BUIS%20DE.JPG

BCM 11.5, TROY MRF-MX, BUIS's
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/MRF-MX%20DE%20and%20BUIS.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/BUIS%20DE%20monted.JPG

Nitrox
07-26-06, 19:51
Looks pale, is it your camera?

Erick Gelhaus
07-26-06, 19:56
It may be the camera / light, because the ones on my work carbine are definately darker.

Erick

C4IGrant
07-26-06, 19:58
Looks pale, is it your camera?

When I started taking the pics it was cloudy and then the sun came out. This is why the finish looks lighter in some pics.

SOCOM DE is supposed to be light (not dark like CB). The new Magpul DE MIADS are about the exact same color as the TROY DE.

C4

Stickman
07-26-06, 20:30
Much, much nicer than their earlier versions of FDE. That looks well done.

SuicideHz
07-27-06, 08:09
Someone show this to KaC :D

Someone on "the other" AR15 site built or had built a 7" or so SBR with all sorts of tan goodness including Magpul accessories with the troy front and rears in FDE. It all seemed to match well- even the Aimpoint cover.

SinnFéinM1911
07-27-06, 09:21
Good Stuff !!

Grant how do I order, I wish I knew someone there ! :-)

C4IGrant
07-27-06, 09:46
Good Stuff !!

Grant how do I order, I wish I knew someone there ! :-)

I think you are going to have to locate a dealer as you are now an "outsider!" :D

C4

C4IGrant
07-27-06, 10:47
Here is a pick of the TD VG, Magpul MIAD and TROY MRF-C in DE. Now that Magpul has changed their color, everything is almost a perfect match. The MIAD and TROY are a perfect match. The TD is slightly tanner than the others, but you can only tell if your right up on it.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/TD%20MIAD%20MRF-C%20DE.JPG

Trey-W
07-28-06, 17:12
Grant,

Do you have the FDE rails in stock, specifically the MFR-C?

C4IGrant
07-28-06, 17:24
Grant,

Do you have the FDE rails in stock, specifically the MFR-C?

Yes I do! http://www.gandrtactical.com/troy.htm

C4

Hoplophile
07-28-06, 22:27
Wow, anodized in FDE? I had seen pics online and at Troy's website but I ass-u-me-d it was a paint-type finish.

C4IGrant
07-29-06, 08:50
Wow, anodized in FDE? I had seen pics online and at Troy's website but I ass-u-me-d it was a paint-type finish.

Yep, HA FDE. Some companies use a ceramic coating, but it just doesn't hold up. The TROY is the only company to perfect this color and do it consistently .

C4

CapnCrunch
07-29-06, 13:01
I'll get some new pics when my FDE BUIS comes in. I've had a FDE front for a few months now and definately dig it.

Until then, here's a single pic I took with some other FDE stuff and other assorted parts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/IMG_0419.jpg

DrMark
07-29-06, 13:28
I'll get some new pics when my FDE BUIS comes in. I've had a FDE front for a few months now and definately dig it.

Until then, here's a single pic I took with some other FDE stuff and other assorted parts.

picture

Nice photography.

(Are those carrier key screws staked at all?)

stephen
07-30-06, 20:28
Nice photography.

(Are those carrier key screws staked at all?)

No they are not. The LWRC carriers uses a dove tailed carrier key and staking is not required.

Stephen

VA_Dinger
07-30-06, 21:02
No they are not. The LWRC carriers uses a dove tailed carrier key and staking is not required.

Stephen

So what stops the bolts from coming loose?

C4IGrant
07-30-06, 21:07

PFM (Pure F*cking Magic)! :D

C4

SethB
07-30-06, 21:12
FWIW, when I met Ken Elmore at an EAG class he made mention of using Loctite instead of staking.

Submariner
07-30-06, 21:21
WES GRANT (is it OK to mention his name here?) told me he used to use loctite alone on his personal guns. Now he also stakes them with Ned's MOACK.

stephen
07-31-06, 06:25

Because they are dovetailed you don't get the same forces acting against the bolts to work them loose (or any force for that matter). What keeps the lugnuts on the wheels of your car? Do you loctite them?

Stephen

M4arc
07-31-06, 06:32

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/IMG_0419.jpg

Awesome photo Tally!

Who's bolt carrier group is that and what's with the raised area at the back of the carrier?

VA_Dinger
07-31-06, 07:57
Awesome photo Tally!

Who's bolt carrier group is that and what's with the raised area at the back of the carrier?

It's a LW.

stephen
07-31-06, 08:49
...what's with the raised area at the back of the carrier?

That is a feature that LWRC added to their proprietary bolt carriers. It supposedly better aligns the bolt carrier in the buffer tube as the weapon recoils. It is also supposed to add extra mass to the rear of the bolt carrier to reduce carrier lift and to improve overall reliability.

Stephen

rob_s
07-31-06, 08:53
Interesting. Anyone that's running these have any take on if they improve, degrade, or in any way affect sight picture? It seems like the brown might drop back and the black be easier to see with the FDE sights.

Erick Gelhaus
07-31-06, 09:08
It seems like the brown might drop back and the black be easier to see with the FDE sights.

I don't know if the color contrast makes it easier to see the front sight post or not. I do not have any issues using- shooting with- them.

Erick

VA_Dinger
07-31-06, 09:14
Because they are dovetailed you don't get the same forces acting against the bolts to work them loose (or any force for that matter). What keeps the lugnuts on the wheels of your car? Do you loctite them?

Stephen

Let me get this straight.

Just because it was a dovetail the bolts do not need staking? Oddly enough I have seen enough dovetailed pistol sights come loose to know this is incorrect.

Is this an official LW statement?

C4IGrant
07-31-06, 09:26

Just because it was a dovetail the bolts do not need staking? Oddly enough I have seen enough pistol sights come loose to know this is incorrect.

I gotta say, that the chances of me believing ANYTHING that LW says is somewhere between -1 and 0.

I think I would still stake it (as it doesn't hurt anything).

C4

stephen
07-31-06, 09:57

Just because it was a dovetail the bolts do not need staking? Oddly enough I have seen enough dovetailed pistol sights come loose to know this is incorrect.

Hey, I'm just a satisfied customer. Regardless of any other shenanigans they have going on I like their kit a lot.

Sorry for the hijack...

Stephen

www.atstacticalgear.com

Hoplophile
07-31-06, 10:00

How many of those dovetailed sights had a pair of relatively large screws holding them in like that? Screws that go into the base part too, not just set screws.

I know you guys are having fun with this, but do you honestly think there's a realistic chance of both screws not just coming loose but backing out far enough to allow the key to move in the dovetail, between any 2 given cleanings? Especially since all the force during recoil is exerted against the dovetail, not the screws.

There's a lot to be said against LW, but this 'issue' seems like a non-starter to me. A little loctite and proper torque should be more than enough.

C4IGrant
07-31-06, 10:09
How many of those dovetailed sights had a pair of relatively large screws holding them in like that? Screws that go into the base part too, not just set screws.

I know you guys are having fun with this, but do you honestly think there's a realistic chance of both screws not just coming loose but backing out far enough to allow the key to move in the dovetail, between any 2 given cleanings? Especially since all the force during recoil is exerted against the dovetail, not the screws.

There's a lot to be said against LW, but this 'issue' seems like a non-starter to me. A little loctite and proper torque should be more than enough.

I have seen screws that were torqued and loctite used come loose because they were not staked. I am old school on this issue (torque, loctite, stake). I also know from "informed users" that there are issues with this BCG which I will not go into here.

I would prefer that I didn't have to check the screws on my carrier everytime I clean it. We all have to do what we think is best. I like to error on the side of caution on things that can negatively affect my weapons function (like a loose carrier key).

C4

VA_Dinger
07-31-06, 10:13
Yes, I do and that’s not just because of their past. How many of us have had mounts fall off, sights come loose, etc, etc when merely the friction of torque retains them.

Especially when it’s something so vital as the gas key.

stephen
07-31-06, 10:52
The carrier key is dovetailed to prevent front to back movement and the channel for the key/charging handle prevents lateral movement. I'd be willing to bet money that this BCG would run without the carrier key screws even in place.

Stephen

M4arc
07-31-06, 11:47
Let's get this thread back on topic. If we want to discuss the merits of the dovetail vs staking let's start a new thread.

stephen
07-31-06, 11:50
You are correct. I apologize for the hijack.

Stephen

M4arc
07-31-06, 11:53
You are correct. I apologize for the hijack.

Stephen

No need to apologize, I'm guilty of asking about the carrier group. But we've definitely strayed too far off the topic.

Impact
07-31-06, 12:58
sooo...they look nice in FDE :)

SinnFéinM1911
07-31-06, 15:09
Geez.... Dont look now, but there is some direction here ....

Hardgear, LLC
08-01-06, 06:13
The color looks good. IIRC that Stick had a picture of a Norrel's Molycoated magazine next to an FDE Vltor CTR and the matach was great. By extension, then it looks as if Norrell's will do well with the Troy BUISs.

Good thing seeing I have a gallon of the Norrels Tan :eek:

Hardgear

Stephen_H
08-11-06, 17:34

Just FYI from Darren at LWRC:

As you know the Piston carrier keys are dovetailed into the carrier. The screws only prevent lateral movement. They are installed with a thread locker (not subject to heat as the impingement carriers are).

If you wanted to stake a piston key, you would need a jackhammer as the steel alloy used is very hard and impact resistant. DO NOT STAKE YOUR PISTON GUN KEYS!

JLM
08-12-06, 01:23
FWIW, when I met Ken Elmore at an EAG class he made mention of using Loctite instead of staking.

Alone, or in addition to staking? I'm surprised he'd omit the staking operation.

C4IGrant
08-12-06, 07:52
Alone, or in addition to staking? I'm surprised he'd omit the staking operation.

I have heard this comment before. I have also heard Ken say such things as "no need to change the springs out of the gun." We know this is false as well.

If for some reason I couldn't or didn't want to stake the carrier key, I would then use rockset (which makes red loctite look like candy).

C4