PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

mildot
07-23-10, 09:11
Well any difference in either model, one is the MOE. There is however a big difference in price. Is one preferred over the other? I'm considering the MOE version for both my AR's

JSantoro
07-23-10, 09:17
One's aluminum, the MOE is polymer. No other difference.

mildot
07-23-10, 09:19
Thanks, a small detail I overlooked, :)

rychencop
07-23-10, 15:05
One's aluminum, the MOE is polymer. No other difference.

yep. i have the aluminum version. just be sure to support those ears during the install. also i had to use the factory roll pin, the magpul one was too tight.

Watrdawg
07-23-10, 16:47
I just installed the aluminum one on my Ruger. I used both the the Magpul pins in mine. I had to tap one in with a wooden mallet though. It was pretty tight.

Mark/MO
07-23-10, 17:49
I installed two of the aluminum ones. I don't think the MOE was available at the time. I want to echo rychencop about supporting the ears. I read a horror story just before I did the first one about breaking the ears off. Fortunately several here calmed my fears.

On mine I did not use the Magpul roll pin. I simply tapped out the existing one until the old guard was loose. This left the pin in the far side ear. Put the guard in, flipped it over and tapped the pin back. Seemed to work just fine.

Army Chief
07-23-10, 18:11
I think Mark's approach is probably the most prudent for the majority of installs. There is nothing to be afraid of here, but some deliberate caution is well-advised. The Magpul pins seem to be oversized slightly, perhaps to accomodate non-standard commercial receivers as wall as TDP components, but it's usually a simpler matter to just re-use the factory pin on that particular receiver.

AC

mildot
07-23-10, 18:16
So is the pin size something that is associated with the aluminum trigger guard or both? I intend on getting the MOE version and was hoping that is was a straight R&R.

arizonaranchman
07-23-10, 18:17
I think Mark's approach is probably the most prudent for the majority of installs. There is nothing to be afraid of here, but some deliberate caution is well-advised. The Magpul pins seem to be oversized slightly, perhaps to accomodate non-standard commercial receivers as wall as TDP components, but it's usually a simpler matter to just re-use the factory pin on that particular receiver.

AC

Exactly. All my AR's have the Polymer one and it's a great upgrade. The Polymer is probably lighter and these days those polymers are tough as hell, so no fear of breakage.

DEFINITELY support those ears to avoid breakage when tapping in the pin. And yes I used the original pin also.

Hmac
07-23-10, 18:44
Pressed my roll pin in with a C-clamp.

Army Chief
07-23-10, 18:51
Considering that I've used this same approach on countless other projects, I find it odd that it hadn't ever really occurred to me for this one. Provided that one isn't clamping directly on the ears themselves, this strikes me as an excellent suggestion.

AC

locknload223
07-24-10, 21:28
I used the aluminum one. I removed it later and filed down the bottom edges a bit, they were digging into my finger a little. Probably just how I hold the rifle but they're all smooth now.

motorwerks
07-24-10, 21:39
I should one of these days make a how I make things easy thread.....

For my (Trigger guard, and bolt catch)Roll pins I chuck them up in my drill one end at a time, and I take a little emery cloth to them. I machine just a little off at a time doing both ends and then trying it in my lower. I get them to the point that they are kind of tight, but loose enough I can push them in with the side of a Screwdriver handle. I have about 5000 rounds down range through my own 4 guns and a few others in friends guns that have never had a problem.

Oh and I have 2 of each of the magpul trigger guards....... no difference.

obucina
07-24-10, 21:45
i got the polymer one a few weeks ago. I used a drop of militec when i punched the roll pin out.

markdh720
07-24-10, 22:08
I've only own one rifle and I put the MOE trigger guard on. Some will say that the aluminum guard fills the gap better, though the gap never bothered me on any rifle I've handled.The MOE doesn't fill the gap completely, but it does a better job than the standard trigger guard. The install was super-smooth for me.

ra2bach
07-25-10, 13:39
according to a thread here earlier (can't find it) it was discussed that the aluminum one filled the gap better but still didn't completely fill it in. the MIAD grip insert with the guard included completely covers the gap...

motorwerks
07-25-10, 14:22
according to a thread here earlier (can't find it) it was discussed that the aluminum one filled the gap better but still didn't completely fill it in. the MIAD grip insert with the guard included completely covers the gap...
the full Miad kit has been discontinued form what I'm hearing.

rbabbitt767
07-25-10, 15:27
The included pin on mine was way too tight for the Colt lower. I whacked it in to the last few millimeters before it mushroomed. I didn't want to try to put the only pin back in for fear of snapping off one of the ears.

halo2304
07-25-10, 19:51

Considering that I've used this same approach on countless other projects, I find it odd that it hadn't ever really occurred to me for this one. Provided that one isn't clamping directly on the ears themselves, this strikes me as an excellent suggestion.

AC

As I've posted a few times on similar threads here, use a drill press with a drill bit reversed. Support the lower with a block of wood and use the drill press to push the pin in place. If pushing the pin out, you might need a hole in the wood block as clearance for the pin.

Space_Hog
07-27-10, 12:49
What exactly are you guys referring to when you mention "supporting the ears?"

rychencop
07-27-10, 12:59
support this area while removing and installing the pin. many "ears" have been broken without doing so.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9002/earsd.jpg

johnson
07-27-10, 13:08
Better angle.

http://dynamicarmament.com/images/CMMG/CMMG_AR15_LOWER_RECEIVER.JPG

dirksterg30
07-27-10, 13:20

I used channel locks to press in the original roll pin.

motorwerks
07-27-10, 15:28

the two little pieces of metal from the lower that hold the trigger guard.

OOPS some folks beat me too the punch....

LJNoobicon
07-27-10, 15:32
the full Miad kit has been discontinued form what I'm hearing.

Yes, that is what is says on their website. Does anyone know why this is? I kinda prefer the one piece look of the Miad grip with trigger guard.

motorwerks
07-27-10, 15:56
Yes, that is what is says on there website. Does anyone know why this is? I kinda prefer the one piece look of the Miad grip with trigger guard.

yeah so did I. I have been trying to find a full OD kit in stock someplace. I think Ill have to hit the gunshows.

obucina
07-27-10, 16:42
yeah so did I. I have been trying to find a full OD kit in stock someplace. I think Ill have to hit the gunshows.

i passed on a MIAD kit at the gun show a few weeks back:( I shoulda just got it!

Steve S.
07-27-10, 17:23
I don't know if I got a lemon, but my MOE trigger gaurd's screw stripped out way too easily. I got about 3 turns and it was done. Contacted Magpul to send another screw about a week ago, haven't heard anything yet. I'm not pissed, I'm sure my problem with an $8 part is on the bottom of their "to do list", since I hear their production is booming.

The screw is seated enough to stay in, but out enough to snag or scratch anything near it. To ice the cake, the distributor I bought it off sent me black instead of FDE. Not a huge deal, but still. I'd return it, but not worth the shipping.

motorwerks
07-27-10, 17:37
could it have been cross threaded? I know I did one a while back that did the same. I ended up having to clean up the threads on both the lower with a Tap and the Screw with a Die. I have to make sure the grip is lined up PERFECTLY or it does it will do it again.

motorwerks
07-29-10, 21:26
hahahaha found a full OD MIAD at my local gunstore that was labeled as a basic.... so I got the extra parts too. Just for Karma I pointed it out and they were cool and gave it to me anyhow stating.... "Oops someone got screwed" Ok Carry on..... :D

Steve S.
07-30-10, 19:35
could it have been cross threaded? I know I did one a while back that did the same. I ended up having to clean up the threads on both the lower with a Tap and the Screw with a Die. I have to make sure the grip is lined up PERFECTLY or it does it will do it again.

Sorry, just seen your message. Nah, the face came pretty gnarled up, and was basically round. Tried putting a little electrical tape on my hex wrench, which works on some other stripped screws, but the thing is so small, no luck.

I just wanted to point out that Magpul contacted me (must have read this), and are sending a replacement. Great CS. :D

ca_fireman19
08-19-10, 23:35
I installed a MOE trigger guard on my Sun Devil lower. The Magpul roll pin was a bit snug, but I was able to squeeze it in using pliers.

rob_s
08-20-10, 05:51
I'm one of those that believes the MOE doesn't fill the gap sufficiently, and as such don't really see the point in it. However the aluminum version tends to hang down a little lower and the edges can be sharp and cut in. I own both the MOE and the aluminum version and think that the Gapper does a better job than either one.

I would have liked the MIAD replacement front strap but they chose to put the little finger bump on it which is kind of trading one problem for another IMHO.

LennieT
08-20-10, 08:59
Will the Gapper work with the MOE trigger guard or can it be modified to work with the MOE trigger guard (my latest lower came with the MOE installed)? The Gapper looks like the best solution.

Thanks

Lennie

rob_s
08-20-10, 09:06
Will the Gapper work with the MOE trigger guard or can it be modified to work with the MOE trigger guard (my latest lower came with the MOE installed)? The Gapper looks like the best solution.

I can't recall off the top of my head. I'll have to look at a few of my guns and see if I have the gapper on any with the MOE.

Surf
08-20-10, 15:32
I have both types also. I generally prefer the aluminum version. Either the MOE or the aluminum version covers the gap well enough for myself. This may sound strange but I actually like the angle that it puts my index finger at as opposed to a flat stock type, so this is another reason I like them.

I will also say that I have a good sized, permanent, calloused type lump on the side of my index finger from this darn weapon system. That finger definitely doesn't like to move as freely as my other hand. I guess I don't shoot left handed enough. :D

ghostman1960
08-20-10, 16:30
Yes, that is what is says on their website. Does anyone know why this is? I kinda prefer the one piece look of the Miad grip with trigger guard.
I don't know why they discontinued it but I am glad I got one.

motorwerks
08-20-10, 16:47
I don't know why they discontinued it but I am glad I got one.

yeah me too I have been hoarding them as I find them left over in stock. :sarcastic:

clasky
08-20-10, 20:49
I really don't see much of a difference between either. Both have been very durable for me.