PDA

View Full Version : Is a Lower Receiver block a must?

champ198
07-23-10, 10:27
i have seen the thread with the tools that are needed and looked through it going over things i need. is the Lower rec vise block that goes in the magwell a must? im getting ready to order a few things from BCM and was jsut courious if it is a must for installing a LPK or anything else.

Hmac
07-23-10, 10:40
Not a must, but very convenient not only for build/repair but maintenance/cleaning. I use use it along with a Sinclair upper/lower link for cleaning.

matt86
07-23-10, 10:41
not needed but it makes life easier.

davidz71
07-23-10, 10:53
I just built a lower and everything went fine without the magwell block supporting the lower.

champ198
07-23-10, 12:24
Would it be possible just to use a cheap mag?
i dont know if there is anything specific about the Vise block so was thinkin just to hold it in a vise a cheap mag would work maybe?

Alex V
07-23-10, 13:36
Would it be possible just to use a cheap mag?
i dont know if there is anything specific about the Vise block so was thinkin just to hold it in a vise a cheap mag would work maybe?

Thats what I did. I can't have 30 round mags living in NJ anyway. So I bought one at a gun show, took out the spring/fallower/base plate and discarded them. Use the body as a lower vice block. Works just fine. And a lot cheaper than the plastic "real deal"

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if it will damage anything, for instance when I tighten down the castle nut. I have the upper receiver block so I would never use the mag body as a lower vice block to torque down a bbl or anything like that.

ForTehNguyen
07-23-10, 17:27
i've built several lowers without using a mag block. Also its easier to squeeze in roll pins with pliers rather than hammering them in.

Luke_Y
07-24-10, 07:21
Not at all necessary for lpk installs. Where you might find it convenient is for castle nut install/staking. But as you stated an old mag would likely work for that.

I have one and still install lpk on the kitchen island counter. Then pop it in the vice with the lower block for tightening/staking the castle nut.

AR Novice
07-24-10, 09:25
If you have still not purchased your upper vice block, Midway has a kit that has both the upper and lower blocks from Model 1. Price was very reasonable.