PDA

View Full Version : What a good quality lower?

OOH RAH!
07-23-10, 11:05
I am looking at the LMT MRP and I am wondering what would be a good lower for it.

justin_247
07-23-10, 12:01
BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske, Stag/CMT, Kaiser Defense, Mega, Aero Precision, or Spike's.

Dump1567
07-23-10, 13:43
I usually take my upper to the shop and try to color match the anodizing the best I can with the various lowers being sold. You can also bring some front and rear takedown pins to test the fit (if your shop allows it).

rychencop
07-23-10, 15:07
I am looking at the LMT MRP and I am wondering what would be a good lower for it.

LMT of course. my OCD will not allow me to mismatch.

ALCOAR
07-23-10, 15:49
I am currently swapping a couple of colt lowers out for the SR 15 lowers which I am a huge fan of.....so much awesomeness in the ergos with them and they are absolutely beautiful when they come to you:) I have run several colt lowers and they seem to mate up extremely well with MRPs as well.

KAC lower
http://i30.tinypic.com/volp2d.jpg
Colt lower
http://i28.tinypic.com/8vqkc1.jpg

Entropy
07-23-10, 16:14
BCM. Best bang for your buck, excellent quality, and mil spec:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM

Mega
07-23-10, 17:41
LaRue

But! You must have already purchased a LaRue Stealth upper to be able to purchase one of their billet lowers.

Fortunately (for me), I own one. :D

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=248

smullen
07-24-10, 22:09
LMT of course. my OCD will not allow me to mismatch.

THIS!!!! I am in full agreement... If they make an upper/lower why not match them up?

ROGOPGEAR
07-24-10, 22:36
I like my daniel defense lower with a flared magwell, but any of the previously mentioned lowers will serve you fine.

OOH RAH!
07-24-10, 23:00
THIS!!!! I am in full agreement... If they make an upper/lower why not match them up?

Well thats a good point, thank you. I was just wondering if there were any little known, quality lowers.

M4Fundi
07-25-10, 01:25
I'm buying 3 Noveske stripped lowers on Monday. If Grant had them in stock I'd buy from him. I will be getting them from Rainier.

nickdrak
07-25-10, 01:44
The nicest stripped forged lowers I have seen lately are the Daniel Defense and the S&W M&P15 stripped lowers. I have not yet seen the BCM lowers in-person, but I got a feeling they will be just about as good as it gets!

I also recently saw that Young Manufacturing did a small run of billet stripped lowers. While I was on vacation in AZ, I went to the Cross Roads gunshow in Phoenix. Y/M had a small booth set-up where he was selling mostly BCG's. I noticed he had some "Y/M" marked billet stripped lowers on display for sale, and I inquired to the guy manning the booth. He said he was Mr. Young, and he did about 250 lowers recently and he had some left-overs after giving some to friends, etc. The were REALLY nicely done, and he was asking $200/each for the stripped lowers. I think a billet lower would match up nicely to the MRP, and his were the cleanest looking billet lowers I have seen to date.

Iraqgunz
07-25-10, 04:12
Personally I would stick with the knowns. Smith&Wesson, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt and Noveske. Hell even Bushamster and Armalite are fine.

I would stay away from Oly Arms, DPMS, Sun Devil, Spike's and some of the other gimmicky ones. That's my opinion.

clickclack
07-25-10, 04:45
i wanted a Kac really bad so i could be super tacticool-ambi-dextra-docious.

but for $500 bucks id rather get these and some bad levers ... call it a day

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/paranormalg35/DSC_1897.jpg

eternal24k
07-25-10, 07:56
I own about 10 different manufacturers,
Mega makes the nicest by far, you will be hard pressed to find a better forged lower for the money.

Dump1567
07-25-10, 10:22
I'll stress it again.

Not sure how important color match is to you.

But I've seen variations in anodizing from the same maker between uppers and lowers based on when the anodizing was done and by whom.

smullen
07-25-10, 13:52
I own about 10 different manufacturers,
Mega makes the nicest by far, you will be hard pressed to find a better forged lower for the money.

Can you list the factual reason(s) to support that???

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm always trying to learn somethng new and how to improve on things...

smullen
07-25-10, 13:55
I'll stress it again.

Not sure how important color match is to you.

But I've seen variations in anodizing from the same maker between uppers and lowers based on when the anodizing was done and by whom.

Now that you mention it, I have seen this too... I've seen this from RRA, DPMS and Double Star.... not knocking those brands or their quality, but now that you mention it, I recall seeing it... My two best friends just got into building ARs (thanks or No thanks to me) and they have each bought those I mentioned at local shows and shops and were disappointed about the non matching finish...

eternal24k
07-25-10, 14:15
Can you list the factual reason(s) to support that???

sure...
There are no forging lines or any machining marks of any kind, I cannot say the same for a single other lower I have, billet or forged. They fit well with a large variety of uppers, where as some are loose or too tight (not to say that uppers dont have their on spec issues), the finish is nice and black and the engraving is clean. Mega (like some others) also does a black teflon coating which makes for a nice deep black, no purplish hue
For $110 I have yet to see a nicer lower; POF, Firebird, Spikes, SMOSA/Larue, RR, Stag, APA, Socom Mfg, and BM and more have or do reside in my safe, even the $300 billets have marks and it is hard to find a better finish.
Mega will continue to be my 1st choice, although a KAC E3 lower is on my list ;)

ETA:
I am in now way slamming any of the others, its just i think they have the best fit and finish, if you only care about mil-spec there are plenty of options, it's what LPK you finish it off with that is going to play the biggest role.

spamsammich
07-25-10, 15:18
I have found the Mega teflon coating to be less durable than standard mil-spec anodizing. I have moved away from them despite the fine work they do with finish machining. I actually don't give a shit what color or how the finish ends up as long as it is durable, Mega's seems to chip more easily. The rails on their upper receivers show much more wear from mounting optics than any of the other receivers I own.

Blankwaffe
07-25-10, 15:58
Personally I would stick with the knowns. Smith&Wesson, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt and Noveske. Hell even Bushamster and Armalite are fine.

I would stay away from Oly Arms, DPMS, Sun Devil, Spike's and some of the other gimmicky ones. That's my opinion.

My opinion too IG.
For a complete lower I tend to prefer the LMT Defender lowers due to the fact I have great affection for the SOPMOD stock and the LMT standard trigger which makes them a excellent bargin IMHO.Otherwise I have no complaints with my DD and Armalite lowers either.

ca_fireman19
08-19-10, 23:40
Sun Devil makes a very nice high quality lower.

smullen
08-20-10, 00:04
LaRue

But! You must have already purchased a LaRue Stealth upper to be able to purchase one of their billet lowers.

Fortunately (for me), I own one. :D

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=248

As of just a few days ago you can now order an LT-15 Lower, without 1st ordering one of their uppers....

Just sayin...

bkb0000
08-20-10, 00:16
LMT sopmod lowers really are about the best value around.. you get the $200 stock, one of the best standard triggers on the market, and high quality parts.. plus your lower then says LMT with a circle around it, instead of a gay ass deer or bear or spider