PDA

View Full Version : It's Important To Make A Good First Impression...

SteyrAUG
07-23-10, 16:43
When people enter your home.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4659/00000000298.jpg

The first thing they see should say something about you.

jklaughrey
07-23-10, 17:27
LOL well at least the wood paneling isn't that cheap 70's crap you see in people's basements. Only question now is are they safe from being knocked down by a drunken visitor stumbling? They look good brother.

SteyrAUG
07-23-10, 18:02
LOL well at least the wood paneling isn't that cheap 70's crap you see in people's basements. Only question now is are they safe from being knocked down by a drunken visitor stumbling? They look good brother.

Yes, 3" tapcons going through the horizontal cross beams. Bottom sword sits just above head level when seated on the bench (slightly more than 4 feet off the floor).

No drunks are permitted in the home.

:D

jklaughrey
07-23-10, 18:24
Very nice setup I would say then. No drunks=No property damage. I like that, keep the drunks at the bar!

Army Chief
07-23-10, 18:34
Custom rack, or is that something made commercially for sword collectors/aficionados?

AC

SteyrAUG
07-23-10, 18:38
Custom rack, or is that something made commercially for sword collectors/aficionados?

AC

I made it by hand.

Army Chief
07-23-10, 18:42
I made it by hand.

So much the better. Nicely done!

AC

lethal dose
07-23-10, 18:49
Do you, by chance, wear silky button up dragon shirts? Haha... just kidding. I'll be honest, I'm not a sword man. I am, however, a man who appreciates good workmanship. That rack is beautiful.

SteyrAUG
07-23-10, 20:19
Do you, by chance, wear silky button up dragon shirts? Haha... just kidding. I'll be honest, I'm not a sword man. I am, however, a man who appreciates good workmanship. That rack is beautiful.

No, silk shirts just don't go with my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pajamas.

I've been practicing Japanese fencing since the age of 10.

tampam4
07-23-10, 20:30
No, silk shirts just don't go with my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pajamas.

I've been practicing Japanese fencing since the age of 10.

I wish I would have starting something similar when I was younger. As much as I love firearms, there is something so elegant and beautiful about a well made sword. Same goes for proper handling of a sword.

theblackknight
07-23-10, 21:19
just for shits, how much $ is up on the wall?

SteyrAUG
07-23-10, 23:05
I wish I would have starting something similar when I was younger. As much as I love firearms, there is something so elegant and beautiful about a well made sword. Same goes for proper handling of a sword.

From my early youth I have always had a fascination with weaponry, and by extension the martial arts. My first firearm was a German Luger that I got when I was in the 4th grade. Problem was you couldn't exactly play with a real firearm.

So I began to explore classic weaponry. In addition to various classical Japanese fencing disciplines, I studied Okinawan Kobujutsu (the study of what most refer to as "karate weapons" such as Bo, Sai, Nunchaku, Kama and Tonfa) and classical Chinese boxing systems with their arsenal of 18 traditional weapons. Also got into Philippine stick and knife systems to a degree.

Many decades later I have come to realize it is one of the most useful things I did with my youth.

SteyrAUG
07-23-10, 23:13
just for shits, how much $ is up on the wall?

You are looking at about $15k (perhaps 20k in a better economy) in total.

skyugo
07-23-10, 23:14
From my early youth I have always had a fascination with weaponry, and by extension the martial arts. My first firearm was a German Luger that I got when I was in the 4th grade. Problem was you couldn't exactly play with a real firearm.

So I began to explore classic weaponry. In addition to various classical Japanese fencing disciplines, I studied Okinawan Kobujutsu (the study of what most refer to as "karate weapons" such as Bo, Sai, Nunchaku, Kama and Tonfa) and classical Chinese boxing systems with their arsenal of 18 traditional weapons. Also got into Philippine stick and knife systems to a degree.

Many decades later I have come to realize it is one of the most useful things I did with my youth.

you're a professional assassin now?

jk man..
nice rack ;)

ChicagoTex
07-24-10, 01:08
I don't see weapons, I see profoundly meaningful japanese cultural icons.

Seriously.

Then again I know a lot of japanese people, so their perspective has rubbed off on me a great deal.

What really drives me insane is when people call them "Ninja Swords" :angry:

Honu
07-24-10, 02:29
I cant remember a sword maker out of Oregon ? I just remember in the early 90s or so ? reading his stuff was really good
like cutting through hanging cable sharp ?

you ever know who I might be thinking of ???
always wanted to get some of his stuff !!!

I love swords took fencing in school and love Japanese swords and think they are the most elegant way to fight

seems if we only got to swords and no guns punks thinking they are tough might not go on as much :)

would love to see some nice pics of them if you ever have any ?

Mac5.56
07-24-10, 04:15
No drunks are permitted in the home.

So no one ever drinks in your home, ever? Good for you!

ChicagoTex
07-24-10, 05:01
So no one ever drinks in your home, ever? Good for you!

Since when is someone who drinks and a drunk the same thing?

Since when is drinking and getting drunk the same thing?

QuickStrike
07-24-10, 06:10
In an attempt to copy you, I've stuck multiple kitchen knives, and a fork into some styrofoam and duct taped the whole thing next to the door. :p

Pics of unsheathed shiny blades please! :cool:

All I have are some busted up khukuris and a little benchmade folder.

I was interested in taking kenjutsu classes a while back, read the Book of the Five Rings and stuff, but can't find a good place in my area.

armakraut
07-24-10, 10:11
Sword of... doooooom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_AvwepPNNg

jklaughrey
07-24-10, 10:40
Steyr when will you get some LOTR swords hung on there. LOL, love that Blue hobbit sword. Cheers! Great collection, nice investment, too bad economy is in the toilet.

Lumpy196
07-24-10, 10:43
When people enter your home.

The first thing they see should say something about you.

Instant access to swords! SWEET!

SteyrAUG
07-24-10, 14:26
I cant remember a sword maker out of Oregon ? I just remember in the early 90s or so ? reading his stuff was really good
like cutting through hanging cable sharp ?

you ever know who I might be thinking of ???
always wanted to get some of his stuff !!!

I love swords took fencing in school and love Japanese swords and think they are the most elegant way to fight

seems if we only got to swords and no guns punks thinking they are tough might not go on as much :)

would love to see some nice pics of them if you ever have any ?

You are probably thinking of Howard Clark out of Iowa.

If so he makes decent blades, but more of the modern school using a single tool grade steel. And they really don't have many of the properties of a differentially tempered blade.

Could also be thinking of Fred Lohman but he mostly does restoration only.

SteyrAUG
07-24-10, 14:39
I was interested in taking kenjutsu classes a while back, read the Book of the Five Rings and stuff, but can't find a good place in my area.

Correct instruction in classical fencing can be very hard to find. Even in Japan most of what you find is "sport" Kendo which has almost nothing to do with classical fencing. Even most Iaido schools train with a very detached sense of reality and focus primarily on the zen aspects of the exercise.

DVDs and books can give you some insight (Japanese Swordsmanship: Technique And Practice by Donn F. Draeger probably being the best) but such things cannot correct your mistakes and errors, especially the ones you don't know you are making.

baffle Stack
07-25-10, 20:47
Cool. I've always wanted a damascus katana & wakizashi set, but I never knew enough about blades to lay down the coin.

ChicagoTex
07-25-10, 21:41
Cool. I've always wanted a damascus katana & wakizashi set, but I never knew enough about blades to lay down the coin.

1. That'd be very tricky to find, Damascus is not an east Asian steelcrafting method (It's arabic, hence the name.) so none of the serious Japanese swordmakers would use damascus. All the major Katana/Wazikashi/Tanto smiths today that I know use the time-honored folded steel method.
2. Damascus is VERY expensive.
3. Damascus, by it's nature, is a fundamentally inconsistent alloy (it's not actually an alloy at all, but a very tenuous mix of alloys). Being able to produce a 20-30" Damascus blade that would actually be usable would be insanely difficult, multiplying the already high expense of damascus many-fold.

SteyrAUG
07-26-10, 00:21
1. That'd be very tricky to find, Damascus is not an east Asian steelcrafting method (It's arabic, hence the name.) so none of the serious Japanese swordmakers would use damascus. All the major Katana/Wazikashi/Tanto smiths today that I know use the time-honored folded steel method.
2. Damascus is VERY expensive.
3. Damascus, by it's nature, is a fundamentally inconsistent alloy (it's not actually an alloy at all, but a very tenuous mix of alloys). Being able to produce a 20-30" Damascus blade that would actually be usable would be insanely difficult, multiplying the already high expense of damascus many-fold.

They are out there. As you noted it would not be correct for a Japanese sword, and the modern commercial Damascus blades aren't quite the real deal. But I have seen Damascus pattern katana before.

ChicagoTex
07-26-10, 02:34
But I have seen Damascus pattern katana before.

Interesting. I have a hard time imagining a damascus katana that wouldn't be either extremely brittle or extremely soft.

Oh well, most swords made today are ornamental anyway, but I like to know my ornaments have practical use should I elect to put them to work, I suspect you are the same, based on your collection.

SteyrAUG
07-26-10, 12:46
Interesting. I have a hard time imagining a damascus katana that wouldn't be either extremely brittle or extremely soft.

Oh well, most swords made today are ornamental anyway, but I like to know my ornaments have practical use should I elect to put them to work, I suspect you are the same, based on your collection.

They aren't the most practical thing. They exist only because enough people wanted one.

And you are correct, I own swords because I practice Japanese fencing, not because it they look cool on the wall.