PDA

View Full Version : Silicone cloth

cdj588
07-23-10, 18:15
Is it ok to wipe down an AR with one of those silicone cloths. Im sure yall have used or atleast seen them for like 3 bucks. Anyway I did it to mine after I cleaned it and now theres threads all over the gun. Almost like the cloth had lint on it and it stuck it all over my gun.

orionz06
07-23-10, 18:17
The anodized surfaces are not as smooth as the guns they were truly intended for. I will normally just use a shop rag with a light blast of WD-40 to displace any moisture.

semtex41
07-23-10, 18:19
I know exactly what you mean.

I find the best way to get rid of those pesky fibers simply to shoot the crap out of it. Yeah, its the cat chasing it's tail, but that's what it's for.

cdj588
07-23-10, 21:09
Boy when I saw it and felt it I was like shit theres some kinda weird rust on here lol. Just my immediate thoughts. Then I came to my senses 5 seconds later and I just couldnt seem to get all the fibers off. I am going shooting this weekend so ill make sure to shoot it all off.

Artiz
07-23-10, 21:22
I use an old t-shirt to make my AR look beautiful. Doesn't leave anything behind and works great. ;)

slickh
07-23-10, 22:03
I use a black cotten sock so no white lint shows up.

iowa hawkeyes
07-23-10, 22:12
I use micro fiber rags from Walmart pretty cheap and doesn't leave lint behind

scjbash
07-25-10, 08:29
I wipe down my carry guns with a silicone cloth, and like micro fiber towels for everything else. An old t-shirt works fine too.

Quib
07-25-10, 09:57
During routine maintenance I utilize a cheap 1” paint brush dampened VERY LIGHTLY with CLP. This helps clean out dust and dirt/sand trapped in tight places, and provide for a light corrosion preventative coating of the parked surfaces.

I follow up the brushing with a wipe down using an old black t-shirt.

MechEng
07-25-10, 10:39
I only use a silicon cloth for smother finished guns like handguns, blued guns, etc... Like Quib, I use a small paint brush to oil up my ruff guns with parkerized finishes followed by a quick wipe down with a dark colored rag (old T-shirt) to remove excess oil.

5shot
07-25-10, 11:33
You can get silicone in a spray can and hose the gun down or spray it on an old black t-shirt (everyone with an AR has a dozen of them). It is pretty cheap for a can, and soon the t-shirt will be saturated and you can just stick it in a zip-lock and use it like the ones you buy.

Blankwaffe
07-25-10, 17:14
During routine maintenance I utilize a cheap 1” paint brush dampened VERY LIGHTLY with CLP. This helps clean out dust and dirt/sand trapped in tight places, and provide for a light corrosion preventative coating of the parked surfaces.

I follow up the brushing with a wipe down using an old black t-shirt.

Yeap,Im a paint brush user as well....I actually prefer a 7/8" stencil brush as its easily stored/transported in a paint ball or plastic cigar tube.Helps with transport in the range bag or pocket and prevents debris attachment to the brush and oil stains on the kit too.
I keep one brush dry for knocking off the chunks and another for applying lube in the field.
The best 7/8" stencil brushes Ive found is the ones from Mil-comm by the way.Very fine bristle brushes that leaves a light film of lube.
I dont worry too much about wiping the excess lube off as I live in a rather damp/stuffy environment...no real sand or dust issues so I wear the lube off as I go.