PDA

View Full Version : MRDs - barrel length pros/cons

crhoades
07-23-10, 20:18
I'm intrigued by a few of the threads on the RMR/JPoint etc set ups with the M&P's.

My quesion is this - Is there an advantage to a longer barrel length with a MRD? If the purpose was concealed carry wouldn't a 3.5" work as well as the 4" or 4.5?

Longer sight radius benefits would be negated I would think. You would lose fps, but would that be the only issues?

Thoughts pro/cons on length would be appreciated. Thanks!

Trvlngnrs
07-23-10, 21:18
Perfect timing!!

I'm going to be ordering a M&P9c and was debating if I should get the Warren Tactical 2 dot tritium sights, or get the stock sights with a plan to install a RMR at a later date.

I just emailed Bowie Tactical....I'll post his reply here!

Trvlngnrs

DocGKR
07-24-10, 02:44
From a terminal ballistic standpoint, in 9 mm and .40 S&W a reliable, durable pistol with a barrel length of 4" +/- 0.5" will be fine; in .45 ACP ammo is generally optimized for barrels of at least 4". Using a mini-RDS does not alter the above; obviously, sight radius is irrelevant with a mini-RDS...

Trvlngnrs
07-27-10, 21:33
I received the email from Bowie...Basically he said the Trijicon RMR will work fine on a M&P 9c.

bnanaphone
07-28-10, 13:17
I received the email from Bowie...Basically he said the Trijicon RMR will work fine on a M&P 9c.

You will not be disappointed with the work Mr. Bowie does. I had him do my M&P Pro with a 9 MOA dual-illuminated Trijicon and couldn't be happier. IF you do decide to have the work done, be sure to send the RMR and screws (they need to be slightly shortened). Good luck.

willowofwisp
07-28-10, 13:45
You will not be disappointed with the work Mr. Bowie does. I had him do my M&P Pro with a 9 MOA dual-illuminated Trijicon and couldn't be happier. IF you do decide to have the work done, be sure to send the RMR and screws (they need to be slightly shortened). Good luck.

do you happen to have pics of your setup/gun as i have been thinking of putting one on my 9L

bnanaphone
07-28-10, 17:51
do you happen to have pics of your setup/gun as i have been thinking of putting one on my 9L

Here you go.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/dbecker227/DSC_0092.jpg

Trvlngnrs
07-28-10, 22:11

Thanks for the tip on the screws!! Do you have any other tips?

How do you feel about not having a backup rear sight?

Did you have your slide refinished after having it milled?

Trvlngnrs

willowofwisp
07-28-10, 23:53
Question, how is the 13 moa on that? is it good enough for 25 yard shooting? i am contemplating ordering one of these sights for my 9L and then getting a taller front sight from somewhere (maybe ameriglo?)

have you experienced any washout with that sight versus the standard led model?

bnanaphone
07-29-10, 07:40
Thanks for the tip on the screws!! Do you have any other tips?

How do you feel about not having a backup rear sight?

Did you have your slide refinished after having it milled?

Trvlngnrs

It is funny about the screws. I sent in the slide/RMR and a few days later got a call from Mr. Bowie who then told me to either send them in or I could do the work myself, if I felt qualified......which I am not.

I am not concerned being without a rear backup because this gun is not a carry item. It is a range/farm gun.

I did not have the slide refinished. Bowie milled it, installed the RMR and sent it back.

bnanaphone
07-29-10, 07:47
Question, how is the 13 moa on that? is it good enough for 25 yard shooting? i am contemplating ordering one of these sights for my 9L and then getting a taller front sight from somewhere (maybe ameriglo?)

have you experienced any washout with that sight versus the standard led model?

The RDS is a 9 MOA dot and works great at 25 yards! I like the reference line Mr. Bowie can put on the rear of the sight to line up your front dot.....in an emergency.

In testing the RMR, you will get washout if you are in a darkened area and aiming towards a very well lit area, especially on light-colored objects. I have never used the LED model so I can't comment on that unit.

I know there are some other good threads regarding the M&P and MRDS if you want to look for some additional information.

Good Luck

willowofwisp
07-29-10, 08:01
The RDS is a 9 MOA dot and works great at 25 yards! I like the reference line Mr. Bowie can put on the rear of the sight to line up your front dot.....in an emergency.

In testing the RMR, you will get washout if you are in a darkened area and aiming towards a very well lit area, especially on light-colored objects. I have never used the LED model so I can't comment on that unit.

I know there are some other good threads regarding the M&P and MRDS if you want to look for some additional information.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info. A local trainer runs one on his m&p so i think ill ask him a few questions this weekend....I can get the 13 MOA for 364$ through brownells and after installation I am looking at 500$ otd which isn't too bad.

Even with wash out i think the sight could be used as a big ghost ring for up close shooting