PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on uppers

Adam0331
07-24-10, 00:06
Ok, I have narrowed down the barrel configuration that I want to slap on my BCM lower I just received today, however I am undecided on which rail configuration to choose. I am in between these two:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14%20ddl12.htm

and

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14%20ddl9%20fde.htm

I would like some first hand opinions of what you all think the pros/cons are of each set up. Thanks.

abnartyguy
07-24-10, 01:06
Adam,

Its up to you, but I like the second one because it has a front site post, which i find to be very helpful keeping everything going the right way.

On the other hand there is also this one:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-Upper-Receiver-Group-w-Dani-p/bcm-urg-m4-14%20risiifsp%20de%20a2x.htm

Later!

:cool:

Adam0331
07-24-10, 09:42
Adam,

Its up to you, but I like the second one because it has a front site post, which i find to be very helpful keeping everything going the right way.

On the other hand there is also this one:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-Upper-Receiver-Group-w-Dani-p/bcm-urg-m4-14%20risiifsp%20de%20a2x.htm

Later!

:cool:

Thanks! Probably gonna stick with a middie though.

rychencop
07-24-10, 10:28
it depends on which front sight config you want and how much rail. some really like the standard FSB. personally i would go with the 12" rail because the added space, not so much for cramming accessories on it, but so you would be able to get your hand way out there for stabilization. and of course throw a Troy folding front on it.

ForTehNguyen
07-24-10, 11:32
do you have long arms? Depending on the way you hold the rifle, people like to hold their support arm as far forward as you can. It aids in controllability. If you plan to use an optic and/or want flip sights, I would go with the 12" rail.

I have the 12" rail on my middy and have a magpul AFG mounted up front

Adam0331
07-24-10, 13:28
I am 6'1" and have fairly long arms. I have an RVG on my issued M4 and find it pretty comfortable even on the 7" rail using the thumb brake method so I'm thinking the 9" rail might suit me well. As far as optics and lights, I have an H1 and a scoutlight to put on.

markm
07-24-10, 13:32
I'm running the first one with a DD rail mounted front sight tower all the way at the end of the rail.

I like the extra rail space a lot. But I'm also a big believer in a barrel pinned FSB for a serious defensive weapon.

spamsammich
07-24-10, 13:36
For anybody over 6 foot I've seen them favor 10-12" rails depending on accessories and if they adopt a more squared up modern carbine stance. Guys that feel more comfortable shooting bladed don't mind the 9" rails. I'm a five foot nothing pip-squeak and prefer 11-12" rails for the extra sight radius and room when I extend my reaction arm to stabilize the barrel.

spamsammich
07-24-10, 13:39
I'm running the first one with a DD rail mounted front sight tower all the way at the end of the rail.

I like the extra rail space a lot. But I'm also a big believer in a barrel pinned FSB for a serious defensive weapon.

OP make sure you find markm's post on that upper you linked, he has good footage and photos of it in action. It is a honey of an upper and I usually favor 16" barreled guns now.

Adam0331
07-24-10, 15:25
OP make sure you find markm's post on that upper you linked, he has good footage and photos of it in action. It is a honey of an upper and I usually favor 16" barreled guns now.

I have been following that thread and the upper seems outstanding. A part of the reason I am going 14.5 middie. I'm just not sure what rail would suit me better. Maybe I need to get hands on with both.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions, please keep them coming.

Dump1567
07-24-10, 19:14
Also keep balance & weight in consideration.

Personally, I've been getting away from rails, as I don't really need/use them. I also like a light rifle.