PDA

View Full Version : The same old AR15 :(

Group Picture
07-24-10, 00:40
Although It has been entertaining to watch the evolution of the "assault rifle" (I know we dont like to call them that) I'm rather disappointed in the the lack creativity with the exception of a few moments like the introduction of the Masada and Knights PDW (I know the PDW isn't really in the category of those "things" that we don't like to call what i called them) . It's been less that interesting. In particular I am outright confused with how little the AR15 has progressed when it is basically the only open source firearm in the world. What is frustrating is with all of the thousands of companies participating in the "AR15 open source project" why hasn't anyone truly gone outside of the box with the AR? Untill recently I have been a by stander watching companies pop up who put out their AR uppers and lowers always to see that same old legacy design. I can understand the companies who just buy and finish forged lowers from one of the 3 major suppliers who have no desire to do anything but put their (usually hideous) logo on the side of a receiver and sell them as their own. What does drive me a little nuts is given the fact that a billet upper is a sophomore level part to make on a manual mill and lathe and even easyer to do on a CNC, why haven't we seen something truly innovative come from anyone? For me I'm extra disappointed when I see the billit guys continue to machine the legacy details into their product, some of which became part of the design as band aids to fix things like the buildup around the magazine, hear me, Im not saying it doesn't need to be there, it does but doesn't need to be done the way we keep seeing it done. Especially since there are dozens of other unnecessary design details that if addressed would make it easier, cheaper and faster to produce a better upper and lower with major enhancements all while maintaining 100% compatability with internal and external GI parts.

About a year ago I decided to start a theoretical design project which was motivated by my disapointment with all of the above. What I have come up with is (please try and understand im not trying to be egotistical) the first inovation to an AR15 variant since the MIL-STD-1913 rail was added at SOCOM. I have not manufactured any firearm and am merely in the design phase. That said I've come to the point where I'm now looking for one of 3 options to actually produce this thing. One option is to partner with a FFL/title 7 manufacture who will take on the responsibilities in compliance with all state and federal laws. Second, to license or sell the design with continued involment in the design and development. Third, go though the process of becoming an FFL/title 7 my self in the same way that many of these other startups have done. Money is not an issue I have all I need in order to do this, but since I've not decided which route to go, I would like to ask all of you if you dont mind to allow me to share some of the ideas with you and get some honest CONSTRUCTIVE (I know how these forums can get) feedback before I decided which of the 3 route options im going to take in order to bring the AR design back to life.

Please understand that I'm not prepared to share exact details and I will even have to be vague on many due to the risk that someone with the with the means could it before i do. That said if you happen from a company that would be able to Legally produce and sell an AR variant I would be happy to talk about options.

bkb0000
07-24-10, 00:50
uhg... not this crap.

i don't know what you're fishing for, but you're not gonna find it on this site.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=713662

Rayrevolver
07-24-10, 01:02
The picture from the Calguns thread looks like this upper:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ARUP-TNW.aspx

IBTL

OTO27
07-24-10, 01:15
Soooo, do you have any "innovative" ideas that will revolutionize the assault rifle world? Please do share! Anyways I am done with my rant, I guess its hard to compete with the AR platform, why fix something thats not broken. Companies like LMT and Daniel Defense are not rehashing an old design, they really do improve on it and make good quality products on what is already an excelent system. I think the ACR and SCAR rifles are neat and may have a future, but look how hard it is to find any parts for either of them. I think the ACR is cool and "innovative" but it has not been battle proven, at least yet.

ALCOAR
07-24-10, 01:23
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9100/1223610397337ny0.jpg:)

TOrrock
07-24-10, 01:37
Not here.