PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 30 rd Magpul PMAG in FDE (Batch May 2009)

30 cal slut
07-24-10, 05:41
Well, I did a search and didn't find an appropriate thread to post in.

I am posting this not to start a poop storm, but to share an anecdotal data point.

I have a batch of FDE 30 round standard (no window) PMAGS.

On all mags: Left side marking: big circle below the "M4" says "09." Below this, arrow points to "5" (or conversely to "11"). So I'm guessing these were made in May 2009. ?

At last weekend's LAV Advanced Pistol and Carbine Class (7/16-7/18) they malfed, even when loaded to only 28 rounds.

Upon closer examination, one had a cracked right feed lip.

The others started popping rounds out, when inserted in the carbine. I guess the feed lips were flexing. 2 of these mags were lightly used. Two were right out of the wrapper.

Sorry no pics, having a devil of a time trying to capture the tiny lot number engravings.

What was ironic was, this was on TD3 (when I switched over to a 5.56 gun), right after LAV said that some of the FDE 30 round PMAGS were having some issues. :haha:

Anyways, I will be contacting the manufacturer on this and I'm sure they'll handle the problem as they always do - professionally.

As an aside, I've never had any problems with a gazillion BLACK PMAGS that I've been running hard since 2008.

motorolahamm
07-24-10, 08:01
Good maybe they will do something for you. they didn't for me:(
so i just went back to usgi mags

huudoo
07-24-10, 08:05
i read somewhere the tan pmags were giving issues also
wonder if they were made around the same time and production line

Slater
07-24-10, 09:27
Apologies if his has been asked before, but what makes black polymer more durable than other colors?

GermanSynergy
07-24-10, 09:47
Keep us posted, bro. I've run the hell out of my PMAGs (all colours) without issue (so far- knock on wood)....

KingsideRook
07-24-10, 10:06
The only issue I've ever had with PMAGs was failure to drop free on some older, early-generation ones. I wrote Magpul, and they replaced them for free when I sent them troublesome ones, no arguing.

motorolahamm, I can't imagine Magpul wouldn't help you with a PMAG issue - what exactly did they say? I'm not saying I don't believe you, just that in my experience, Magpul will not rest until you are either A. happy with the product or B. refunded.

Nathan_Bell
07-24-10, 10:32
Apologies if his has been asked before, but what makes black polymer more durable than other colors?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the darker the color, the more durable the PMAG. Guessing that the darker colors allow a slightly different ingredient mix.

Heavy Metal
07-24-10, 10:34
I suspect is has to do with the flow rate in the mold. I'll bet the darker colors flow better becasue they cool slower.

ryan
07-24-10, 11:11
I have a 20 rd FDE Pmag with a cracked feed lip, 09, arrow From 6 to 12.

motorolahamm
07-24-10, 11:34
well the mags would just spit rounds when you were seating them or just sitting there with a light bump. sent mags to them they sent the same mags back, said they could find no defects in the product, recontacted they said the issue had been resolved. was very upset but what can you do i had aprox 6 fde mags and 12 black only the fde were affected . thats why this post grabbed my attention anyway i discrded the fde mags and sold the others for a couple bucks. neverless lost my interest in magpul products in general.

here is my orginal post
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50940