PDA

View Full Version : laquer coated ammo

txchl33
07-24-10, 19:58
I purchased some .223 "JSC {The TULA Cartridge Works}" from Cabelas in Buda, TX.
It's in a white box. Can Anyone tell me if it is laquer coated?
DelTon says if I fire laquer coated ammo it will void my warranty.
Any help greatly appreciated.
John
325 370 6547

tb-av
07-24-10, 20:37
If it's a water based lacquer you could use alcohol.

If it's nitro-lacquer just use lacquer thinner.

Put a drop on it and try to keep it wet. It should melt the finish. If it's not finished it might discolor it but you shouldn't see any finish wrinkle.

You might even be able to drag a razor blade across it and see if anything scrapes off.

Entropy
07-25-10, 10:27
I purchased some .223 "JSC {The TULA Cartridge Works}" from Cabelas in Buda, TX.
John
325 370 6547

Got a picture of the ammo? It's easy to tell if it is lacquer coated or not. It should be sort of a brownish-green color, with a definate shiny outter layer. Polymer coated, or steel cased ammo that has metal coatings look very different.

As far as shooting lacquer coated ammo goes, there are a number of shooters on this forum that have used this ammo in carbine courses without any problems. That's about 1000-2000rds in a week.

There is a myth going around the internet and the US gun community in general that lacquer melts off casings and gums up the chamber of your rifle. This is not the case. Steel cases are made of a very mild steel which swells, but not as well as brass casings do. So, more gases escape into the chamber than usual causing additional carbon fouling of the chamber. Most western rifles like AR-15s, have tighter chamber tolerances than weapons produced in Russian and China. Cartridges start to get stuck in the chamber of an AR-15 once enough carbon builds up in the chamber over time due to the tight chamber tolerances. However, with a good solvent and a chamber brush, you shouldn't have any of these problems if you clean the carbon out after shooting the stuff.

A lot of AR-15 buyers do not clean their chambers regularly. This of course leads to the problems that I've described above. Steel cases are also "slightly" harder than brass cases and can put a little more wear on your extractor over time. I'm guessing for these reasons DelTon wanted to keep the warranty more idiot proof and thus the reason for the restriction. Funny thing is, polymer and metal coated steel casings suffer from the same carbon fouling problems as the lacquer stuff.

Heavy Metal
07-25-10, 10:41
I just shot an entire Larry Vickers class with Brown Bear Lacquered cased ammo in my rifle and it worked very well. No ammo problems whatsoever.

Heavy Metal
07-25-10, 10:42
John
325 370 6547

The polymer ammo is grey and dull. The lacquer is an olive brown to olive green and shiny.

Both should work fine.

arizona98tj
07-25-10, 20:42
The Tula I've been shooting (from Cabela's) is moly coated.