PDA

View Full Version : rails rails rails

The Solid
07-24-10, 20:07
Contemplating reworking my midlength and am stuck on a rails system. I have narrowed it down to Samson 9", Troy 9", DD omega 9", and the vltor casv-m. All allow free float without gunsmithing, something that i want. What are your thoughts or recommendations. Weights would be helpful, as I do want to keep it as light as possible. My understanding is troy and dd are really close, with the others being heavier. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

spamsammich
07-24-10, 20:51
Only the Omega and the CAS-V require no gunsmithing. The others require cutting off the delta ring and removing the weld spring and retaining clip. CAS-V requires removal of the front sling mount.

The Solid
07-24-10, 21:02
ok ok i meant gunsmithing as far as removing front sight, flashhider, etc...I can dremel the other stuff off, just don't want to buy a bunch of tools.

spamsammich
07-24-10, 21:45
If you can wait, give Centurion Arm's rail a try when it comes out, it mounts like a troy or samson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d0OVH2lSko

jafount
07-24-10, 23:16
The troy MRF is a piece of cake and quite strong. If I were building a gun from the ground up I'd take a hard look at the TRX Extreme.

spamsammich
07-24-10, 23:27
The troy MRF is a piece of cake and quite strong. If I were building a gun from the ground up I'd take a hard look at the TRX Extreme.

I agree. I've owned several brands and models of rails. the TRX Extreme and VTAC Extreme are on a short list of rails I would build with. My only grip with them is they tend to heat up pretty quick if you don't shoot with gloves.

justin_247
07-25-10, 06:58
I have some DD Omega rails and I can't recommend them highly enough. KAC RAS are great rails, as well.

Get the Omega. It's easy, light, and rock solid!

kmrtnsn
07-25-10, 09:31
I have a CASV-M on my recce build. I put it over the top of a shaved FSB. Check the pics on their site and on Militarymoron's site but I think mounting the CASV-M on a mid length is no problem, no tools needed as the CASV-M was designed for the mid-length gas system.

From the Vltor site,

"The CASV-M is intended to be a “drop-on” rail system for a “mid-length” gas system which is equipped with a fixed sight-tower/gas block system. The CASV-M can fit over a carbine length gas system, as long as a “low-profile” gas block is installed."

The Solid
07-25-10, 16:33
well i "weighed" ,lol, my options and went ahead with the DD omega, the weight savings were hard to over look and i have heard nothing but great things about them.

The Solid
07-30-10, 18:00
Got my DD omega rails today, five minutes later, done. Wow what an improvement. Really glad i decided to go this route.