PDA

View Full Version : I just want to ask what the pro’s and cons with the front sling mount position

oddballmkg
07-25-10, 01:42
I’m using a BCM mid length upper with a Daniel Defense 12 inch long LT rail with a light at the 12 o’clock position with an Aimpoint T1. I’ve done a lot of training with both handgun and carbine but it’s been with a Giles type sling which is what every one was using ten years ago. I’ve started using a Vickers sling which I actually like more. But with the sling mounted at the barrel nut area, using a swivel quick release mount, when I do reloads or try to extend out my hold on the forearm, with my support arm. I end up shorting my grip up under the mag well area. The mount for some reason seem like its blocking my path forward with my support hand. Is it ok to install the mount up towards fight sight/gas block area or does it really matter?

kmrtnsn
07-25-10, 09:21
I think moving the mount forward is just going to cause you to wrap your hand around the sling when you go to grab the forend with your support hand. How tight are you running the sling? It should be loose enough to shoulder from right to left without any interference. When you do your reloads are you elevating the muzzle and turning the magwell to the left while bringing your right elbow closer to your chest centerline, getting the rifle into your workspace? (Sorry, I was pantomiming the movements while trying to type the description). When I do this the sling drops out of the way and there is no interference with the magwell. The great thing about picatinny rails is that you have so many options and none of them are permanent. Try moving the mount around on small increments till it works for you if you need to.

markm
07-25-10, 11:28
I have my front attachment point at L36 on the Middy/DDlite 12.0 I'm running now. I'm not running a 12 o'clock light though.

I moved my front attachment point to the position that the rifle hanged best at and accommodated reaching the light with the sling both hanging free and around my neck.

rychencop
07-25-10, 12:15
user preference. mount that thing wherever it works for you.

Blankwaffe
07-25-10, 15:11
First off Im no professional and most of my tactics are dated 90's era LEO for the most part.That said Im working on breaking some of the old learned tactics/habits,but I still prefer my kit as I have in the past.
Seems everyone I meet has a different sling preference and how its mounted.So I'd say its probably going to be whatever position floats your boat.
But I personally prefer the front sling mount as far foward as I can get it,and the rear sling mount on the side of the stock as far to the rear as I can get.Typically I have my VCAS's mounted with a Colt M4 barrel mounted side sling adapter at the front and the rear right in front of the recoil pad on the side of my Sopmod stock.This is more than likely due to my use of a 3 point sling for so many years but it just fits me,so I stick with it.
For me mounting the sling in this configuration keeps the sling out of the weapon center,which may have alot to do with the fact I have a 52" chest.
With the rear of the sling mounted fully to the rear of the side of the stock it seems to keep the stock planted at the shoulder for me...again Im a somewhat large knuckle dragger so it may feel different to others.
It also allows the weapon static position to drop/hang better during utility or transitions.I prefer the muzzle to pull towards my left which puts the weapon across my body at a angle.
This allows me to quickly kneel keeping the muzzle out of the dirt in transitions etc.,and in most cases is picked up by my left leg.Overall the weapon just feels more controlled in this position for me,especially if I have to bend over to use both my hands on something with the weapon hanging free.
With the front of the sling mounted to the rear,and especially at the delta ring area,it seems I almost always get thumb hung and the vertical static postion puts the weapon between my legs,and almost always muzzle in the dirt if I have to quickly drop to a knee in transitions.If not careful going low into a transition you can easily get butt stroked on the underside of the chin or in the face with the weapon hanging vertical and muzzle gets planted.Pretty distracting when transitioning to the secondary on the move.
As I said my training is old,and my habits are probably bad,so take it for what its worth...Im still learning too so Im also open to what the professionals here have to say in any regard.But the above is how I roll.