PDA

View Full Version : Break-Free CLP

Slater
07-25-10, 12:07
I've used this particular product for many years with good results, although I'm aware that there are probably better alternatives out there. I've heard that the formulation has changed over the years, and someone told me that the formula no longer includes Teflon. Anyone know if this is accurate?

ra2bach
07-25-10, 13:20
it says it uses "specially treated" PTFE. that's teflon but I don't know what their version means...

I bought a spray can when I was at the beach to protect the Cold Steel folding knife that I take into the ocean with me. the action was a little slow and it already had some surface rust.

the CLP removed the rust extremely well but it didn't do much to loosen up the action and it didn't really protect against additional rust that much better than some Tetra that I used before.

when I got home I used some of the Weapon Shield I had and it immediately became much smoother. I'll continue to use the Break Free till it's gone on stuff I don't really care about...

Left Sig
07-25-10, 16:08
Teflon is a DuPont tradmark. PTFE is the chemical abbreviation. If they don't buy it or license it from DuPont, they can't call it Teflon.

I like Break Free lubricant/preservative to oil my guns after cleaning with CLP. It's a think oil that says in place pretty well and I haven't had any problems with corrosion. But I don't live near salt water so YMMV.

Army Chief
07-25-10, 16:45
As many of you know, I recently returned from some nine years overseas, and upon my return, I was more than a little surprised by all of the new boutique solvents, lubricants and anti-corrosion products on the market. Interestingly, it seems that the smaller the package/bottle/tube, the more expensive the product. Really?

CLP has been a G.I. standby for as long as I can remember, and it works well; that's not to say that there aren't better alternatives out there these days, but I still think the first rule of thumb is to use something -- which formulation best meets your needs is a matter of personal preference, experience and availability.

I guess one of the reasons I've been slow to join the "new and improved Product-X" bandwagon is because I remember during my M1/M1A days that a great many vendors offered special greases and lubricants for these rifles that were very, very expensive, but which offered no substantive or measurable benefits over a $1.99 tub of automotive axle grease.

Now, I've no doubt that specific formulations offer properties that may equate to improved performance these days, but to be back on topic, I seriously doubt that CLP -- whatever the current recipe -- is going to leave you high and dry. Lubrication problems are most often a result of poor servicing and maintenance, and not the consequence of using the wrong product. I suppose you might be pushing that theory a bit if you are trying to run an AR on good old LSA (assuming anyone actually remembers it) in the wrong conditions, but for the most part, I wouldn't lose much sleep over any of this.

AC

ST911
07-25-10, 17:13
CLP has been a G.I. standby for as long as I can remember, and it works well; that's not to say that there aren't better alternatives out there these days, but I still think the first rule of thumb is to use something -- which formulation best meets your needs is a matter of personal preference, experience and availability.

I guess one of the reasons I've been slow to join the "new and improved Product-X" bandwagon is because I remember during my M1/M1A days that a great many vendors offered special greases and lubricants for these rifles that were very, very expensive, but which offered no substantive or measurable benefits over a $1.99 tub of automotive axle grease.

Now, I've no doubt that specific formulations offer properties that may equate to improved performance these days, but to be back on topic, I seriously doubt that CLP -- whatever the current recipe -- is going to leave you high and dry. Lubrication problems are most often a result of poor servicing and maintenance, and not the consequence of using the wrong product. I suppose you might be pushing that theory a bit if you are trying to run an AR on good old LSA (assuming anyone actually remembers it) in the wrong conditions, but for the most part, I wouldn't lose much sleep over any of this. AC

As always, you make excellent points. CLP is functional, and when used properly, will do work. And in the end, anything is better than nothing. Spit, motor oil, and an application of Vagisil from Pat Rogers all work too. Have something.

Mil CLP was my mainstay for a long time, with forays into the others. As cynical as I am, I've come to the realization that some of the new gucci stuff truly does work better. The WS-CLP, Slip2000 and EWL, and certain others are slower to evaporate in storage, slower to burn off in live fire, and stay put better than mil CLP ever did for me.
I'm using Slip products pretty much exclusively now.

Just one case in point: On some go-fast guns running hard at a few events, CLP had to be reapplied at a rate of ~3:1 over EWL.

There will always be folks peddling snake oil, and a lot of it either is exactly that, or is at least no better than your mainstay, but some of the new stuff is worth your time to check out.

Iraqgunz
07-25-10, 17:31
I still use CLP for basic cleaning (rust and other crap), but I prefer WeaponShield or Slip2000 for lube.

Spiffums
07-25-10, 17:32
to protect the Cold Steel folding knife that I take into the ocean with me.

I doubt any liquid protective or lubricate product would work all that well when submerged in salt water.

Army Chief
07-25-10, 17:42
Appreciate the input, Skintop911. The one lube that did seem to hold particular promise from my limited research was SLIP 2000, and I'm definitely tracking on the evaporation issue with CLP. It is easy enough to work around, but why bother reaching for an oiler bottle if you don't have to?

The SLIP line should give me a single point of entry that will very likely suffice for most of my immediate needs -- I'll have to give it a shot. The way some of the other stuff was packaged and priced, I thought that I had left the lubricants category and been dumped into some new "'tactical fragrances and perfumes" section.

Granted, I do like the smell of certain petroleum distillates (vestiges of the leaded gasoline era), but I digress ...

AC

Slater
07-25-10, 18:51
Not to digress too far from the topic, but a buddy of mine who was cleaning out his garage gave me a small tub of lubricant called "Lubriplate 130-A" and suggested it might work on my 1911 slide rails and certain areas in my AK-74. Don't have any experience with this particular grease, but is it a decent lubricant?

RogerinTPA
07-25-10, 19:55
Out of all the Gucci lube out there, Slip EWL and Weapons Shield I'd consider the high end lube, especially for carbine courses, but in a pinch, any lube will do. I once fired an extremely dirty AR with over 13K rounds fired without ever being cleaned (A Pat Roger's BCM Middy T&E gun). I completely soaked the BCG in Slip EWL on TD-1, and it ran like a champ for the next 3 days (about 1400 rounds). For personal range days, Royal Purple 30w-50 synthetic motor oil, mixed with Militec (2/3, 1/3 mix) has worked well for me for ARs and pistols.

HK45
07-26-10, 01:17
Break free claims to clean, prevent, and lube and it does all of those things. Just not very well.

JSantoro
07-26-10, 08:17
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02813500000P?vName=Automotive&cName=AutomotiveBasics&sName=Fluids%20&%20Filters&sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=02813500000P

Around the same $$$ as a 4oz bottle of EWL, you get your teflon, won't have to buy more lube for years. The weapon-specific lube market is a pretty good racket.

GLOCKMASTER
07-26-10, 08:48
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02813500000P?vName=Automotive&cName=AutomotiveBasics&sName=Fluids%20&%20Filters&sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=02813500000P

Around the same $$$ as a 4oz bottle of EWL, you get your teflon, won't have to buy more lube for years. The weapon-specific lube market is a pretty good racket.

I just recently started using this and I'm more than satisfied with it for a rifle lubricant.

dbrowne1
07-27-10, 09:13
The posts by Army Chief and Skintop could be stickied and locked as the bottom line on lubes. I've got a can of CLP that I use for a quick boresnaking and for applications that require more surface rust protection and less lubrication. Otherwise, WeaponShield/FP-10 or Mobil 1 seems to work better as far as staying put in storage and not burning off under use.

The only thing that matters in the end is that you use lube. Enough of it, in the right places, with enough frequency. CLP will work fine as long as it's applied liberally where it needs to be.

ra2bach
07-27-10, 13:13
As many of you know, I recently returned from some nine years overseas, and upon my return, I was more than a little surprised by all of the new boutique solvents, lubricants and anti-corrosion products on the market. Interestingly, it seems that the smaller the package/bottle/tube, the more expensive the product. Really?

Now, I've no doubt that specific formulations offer properties that may equate to improved performance these days, but to be back on topic, I seriously doubt that CLP -- whatever the current recipe -- is going to leave you high and dry. Lubrication problems are most often a result of poor servicing and maintenance, and not the consequence of using the wrong product. I suppose you might be pushing that theory a bit if you are trying to run an AR on good old LSA (assuming anyone actually remembers it) in the wrong conditions, but for the most part, I wouldn't lose much sleep over any of this.

AC

the OP asked about Break Free CLP. the whole "which lube is best?" thing has been done and that particular dead horse doesn't need beating any more.

that said, to deny that modern formulations don't offer any better performance than stuff that's been around forever kind of denies reality.

I've never bought into the whole "one product does it all" theory. it ends up being a jack-of-all-trades thing and doesn't excel at any of them. that's not to say that you can't get "good enough" cleaning from some lubing products but I still prefer to use a separate cleaner for best results and a purpose designed lube. any lube also needs to protect as it's the final layer and I think this is where the modern formulations excel.

ra2bach
07-27-10, 13:16
I doubt any liquid protective or lubricate product would work all that well when submerged in salt water.

Eezox does. it's frickin' amazing at corrosion protection...

Vinh
07-27-10, 22:04
Any health risks associated with long-term exposure to Break Free CLP?

Joe Mamma
07-27-10, 22:58
I've used this particular product for many years with good results, although I'm aware that there are probably better alternatives out there. I've heard that the formulation has changed over the years, and someone told me that the formula no longer includes Teflon. Anyone know if this is accurate?

I'm just going off of my memory at this moment so take this with a grain of salt: I think the formulation changed about 8-10 years ago. I think you used to have to shake the bottle because the solid particulate matter (Teflon, PTFE or whatever you want to call it) would settle in the bottle. But now you don't have to shake it (because there is no particulate matter), even thought the label says you do. Also, at the same time the formulation changed, the color of the product changed slightly too.

Joe Mamma

dbrowne1
07-28-10, 08:54
the OP asked about Break Free CLP. the whole "which lube is best?" thing has been done and that particular dead horse doesn't need beating any more.

You're right, the original post asked about changes in the CLP formula and whether the "current" formula still contains PTFE.

I researched some of this years ago, and here is what I can remember:

1. CLP is a set of characteristic and performance specs - it is not a single formula. The military says "it must be within these specs and perform in manners A through Z." How you get there isn't what matters.

2. Duracell was one of the early makers, "Break Free" I believe was a brand they sold and it may now be a different company that uses that name. Older formulations had visible PTFE particles.

3. Royal Lubricants (ROYCO) has also made CLP and may still. Their formula is "thinner" and contains no PTFE particles.

So the short answer is yes, the formula has changed, there has been more than one formula in use even at the same time (as it's a performance spec), and some have contained PTFE and some have not.

dbrowne1
07-28-10, 08:55
Any health risks associated with long-term exposure to Break Free CLP?

I'm sure you can Google around and find a MSDS on it.