PDA

View Full Version : Handguard Cap Removal?

monkyboy
07-25-10, 12:50
Thats the question. I installed a DD Omega handguard, the handguard cap has bothered me ever since. Just a cosmetic thing. Whats the best way to remove it? I searched but didn't find it so hopefully someone can help me out....Thanks

Dump1567
07-25-10, 13:12
Remove the muzzle attachment and front sight (banging out the pins may mar your finish). Remove the HG cap.

If you end-up going through all this trouble (proper tools will be needed), you might as well sell the omega rail and buy a different FF rail that uses it's own barrel/reciever nut.

You could also try dremeling it off, but you might accidently cut into your FSB or barrel.

Good luck.

spamsammich
07-25-10, 14:56
with the cap gone you'll have a stupid looking gap between your fsb and rail, then you'll probably want to throw the cap back on to take up the gap.

planenutz
07-25-10, 21:27
with the cap gone you'll have a stupid looking gap between your fsb and rail, then you'll probably want to throw the cap back on to take up the gap.

I considered removing mine by dremel, but decided not to for the same reason as quoted by Spam.
If you decide to remove it, I would suggest using a grinding stone on the dremel instead of the cutting wheel and going VERY SLOWLY and stopping before you get too close to the end, and then use pliers to twist the last bit off. Duct Tape everything in the vicinity in case you slip. :eek:

monkyboy
07-26-10, 02:12
I've decided to leave it on. Too much hassle and too much chance to make damage with a Dremmal Tool. Everyone knows with a cutting wheel or a grinding bit it can and usually gets away from you. Thanks for the input guys!!!