PDA

View Full Version : Why did not someone tell me hummus was awesome?

bsf
07-25-10, 12:58
What is wrong with the world? Someone should have told me earlier. Just had it and no-fat (saturated), whole wheat, pita bread both for the first time. It is fantastic. I am adjusting my nutrition to delay the onset of morbid obesity, and have been trying some different foods. Came across talk of hummus and remember a super fit, female acquaintance eating hummus. At the time I thought it was just one of those crazy things people did when they were unfortunate enough to be unlike me; able to eat as much of anything as desired without waist expansion. If someone would have told me that hummus was tasty…..well, now that I think about it, I think the super fit chick did. Ok, maybe if someone had smacked me with a 2x4 and then screamed “Hey moron, hummus is awesome!” maybe I could have tried it and utilized it as a substitute for pork rinds dipped in butter-flavored Crisco.

However, now that I have tried it and decree it good, I think I will attempt making it myself after my initial purchase is consumed.

Gingerkid
07-25-10, 14:01
Not sure if you have a 'Trader Joes' in your neighborhood or maybe 'Whole Foods', but they both have several really good hummus. Trader Joes being much cheaper... jalepeno and cilantro from Joes is a tasty treat. :D

kmrtnsn
07-25-10, 14:05
Shit! Which one of you guys told him? This was a world-wide conspiracy to keep hummus from him. Next thing you know, one of you guys will tell him about the blue food.

RogerinTPA
07-25-10, 14:45
Not sure if you have a 'Trader Joes' in your neighborhood or maybe 'Whole Foods', but they both have several really good hummus. Trader Joes being much cheaper... jalepeno and cilantro from Joes is a tasty treat. :D

I get the same from Publix....good stuff!

WillBrink
07-25-10, 17:50
What is wrong with the world? Someone should have told me earlier.

Humas is food of the gods. My friend from Israel showed me how to make it authentic, and I make it often. I love that sh*%. :D

Shawn.L
07-25-10, 18:04
great. now that the internet gun nuts have found it out the demand will increase beyond supply................

I better go buy it by the case and bury it in the backyard.

:secret:

whiterabbit05
07-25-10, 18:24
Haha, it's one of those foods that sounds disgusting but in actuality is delicious.

Kind of like baklava...tell me you have at least tried that.

bsf
07-25-10, 18:53
So, to spell out the relevance to this subforum for others who are not in the know, like me a few hours ago, here is nutrition data from the carton I bought.

Serving Size: 1oz
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 160mg
Total Carbohydrates: 6g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 1g Protein: 2g

Not too shabby.

Works as a condiment also. Used the plain variety in a turkey, tomato, baby spinach, on whole grain bread sandwich and it was delicious.

Shawn.L
07-25-10, 18:58
theres a deli nearby that makes a sandwich called "flying garbanzos"

Humus, roasted red peppers, munster cheese, carmalized onions, grilled on challa bread

out. of. this. world.

Im going to have to stop down there sometime this week now.

chavez_e_chavez
07-25-10, 19:09
hummus on crackers is always a snack in my hood..very good and there are tons of flavors

glockeyed
07-26-10, 07:51
hmmmm roasted red pepper on naked pita chips

i also had never tried it... i thought it smelled like a hobo, but man is it tasty.:dance3:

THCDDM4
07-26-10, 12:41
A large loaf of shephearders bread, some nice raw veggies of your choice and a tub-o Very spicy roasted red pepper hummus...

Just Delightful.

Now add a nice strong home brewed IPA and you have a snack worthy of Epicure:cool:

This thread is making me hungry as all hell!

Making hummus yourself is the best; fresh is always a plus. Add a tiny amount of beer and whiskey to get some reallynice flavors not commonly found in hummus. I always make mine spicy as I can get it; I'll add a serrano and a purple superhot; somtimes a habenero as well; delectable!

JSzabo
07-28-10, 10:24
Red Pepper Hummus is the best. :happy:

vaglocker
07-28-10, 12:28
Cause it isn't.