PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Retainers

Complication
07-25-10, 18:00
A couple weeks ago I had my buffer retainer shear off. I've spent the last two weeks bouncing around between a couple of places who were going to order the part or had the part or thought they had it or will have it next week or have it but their gunsmith isn't in for another two weeks (which makes me doubt slightly what I've heard about the retainers shearing off being a not-uncommon occurrence).

So given that my AR's been out of commission for two weeks and I expect to be heading to a small carbine class this Saturday, I'm ready to do what I just should have done 2 weeks ago: order the part and take it to my local shop where, a few minutes later, I'll have a fully functioning gun again.

So are all buffer retainers made equal? I see Oly and DPMS retainers for anywhere from $1-$3, but Brownell's has a Colt retainer for $9. I can't imagine for a part like that, there's a huge quality gap, but I don't want to overnight a handful of DPMS retainers to find out they're made from cardboard.

Anyone have any experience with the above replacement retainers?

Dos Cylindros
07-25-10, 19:33
Well personally I would not buy anything from Oly. I don't really think the DPMS retainer pin will cause you many problems, but just to be safe, $9 is cheap so I would just buy the Colt one (or a couple of them) as you know for sure that is a quality part from a quality company. Sometimes, you can buy peace of mind.

markm
07-25-10, 20:04
What lower receiver did this happen with?

A buffer retainer will only sustain damage if the lower is out of spec. When the two receivers are pinned together, all horizontal pressure on the retainer is relieved because the back of the carrier pushes the buffer back slightly.

I've only heard of the retainer hole getting egged out and all messed up when the lower is out of spec.

Complication
07-25-10, 20:10
Happened on my Noveske N4. 100% my fault. I cleared it and locked the bolt open when we finished shooting carbine. An hour later, after some pistol shooting, we packed up to head home and I had forgotten the I had locked the bolt back. Deep in conversation with someone, I checked to make sure it was still clear and then, forgetting to let the bolt forward, I popped the upper and lower apart and "WHACK" the bolt slapped forward, shearing the pin.

Definitely a mistake I won't make again (having your carbine out of commission for 2-3 weeks because of a stupid pin you stupidly broke is a good learning experience).

Jimbo45
07-25-10, 20:18
....I had forgotten the I had locked the bolt back. Deep in conversation with someone, I checked to make sure it was still clear and then, forgetting to let the bolt forward, I popped the upper and lower apart and "WHACK" the bolt slapped forward, shearing the pin.

I am trying to picture how this is physically possible....The few times that I have tried to break a rifle down with the bolt back, the receivers just won't budge (since the carrier is back into the buffer tube at that point :confused:). I guess, if you jerked it around enough, the bolt could disengage the catch, sending the carrier assembly home, and if somehow, once home, the upper and lower seperated violently enough of a gap to allow the retainer to be struck by the buffer. Still sounds impossible to me, though, since the receivers will only seperate once the bolt is fully in battery, and at that point, the buffer should be topped out anyway.

Complication
07-25-10, 20:28
Oh, it's possible. It did feel a little tight, which should have been my first clue, but I didn't do anything that could be considered "jerking it around."

I've got a heftier Sprinco buffer spring in there and was disassembling it on a table (so it could have knocked against the surface causing the catch to disengage or get "jumped"). All that needed to happen was for the upper to move just enough (which, with the BCG in the buffer tube is--apparently--possible if you're not careful) for the catch to get bypassed or disengaged and then, once the bcg slides home, if it's got even a little bit more room than usual, that buffer would just shear the pin right off. The pin's isn't nearly strong enough to hold any real force.

Don't get me wrong, I was being a complete idiot and it was my fault. But I also wasn't sitting there with a crowbar prying the upper from the lower or mortaring the entire AR on the ground.

Jimbo45
07-25-10, 20:44
OK, so saying you were taking it apart on a table top, I am now suspecting that you maybe pushed both the pivot pin and takedown pin, then seperated the halves? I could see this slamming the buffer into the retainer, in this case, since the BCG slamming forward, probably pushed the upper away from the lower enough to allow the buffer to hit the retainer, HARD. I hadn't considered you taking it down that way, since I always pop the takedown pin, flip it open, remove BCG and CH, then push the pivot pin to seperate. Not sure why, I have always done it that way, since training at Fort McClellan, I guess. Doing it that way, there is no way, that I can see, that the pin could get sheared from a locked back BCG.

If it were me, I would spring for the colt part. Not that you would probably ever have issue with a DPMS retainer, but since so close in price, why not have the better part for peace of mind.

Complication
07-25-10, 20:47
OK, so saying you were taking it apart on a table top, I am now suspecting that you maybe pushed both the pivot pin and takedown pin, then seperated the halves?

You know what, I'm betting that's exactly what I did. I suppose all of this just goes to show that 1) just like putting on pants, you should pop the pins on at a time and 2) not paying attention to what you're doing is a great way to break something (although I'm reassured by the fact that I distinctly remember ensuring the gun was clear).

Edit: I've got fat fingers and my nails are cut super-short, so I gotta pop the pins with the tip of a "clicky" pen, hence doing it on a table.

az doug
07-25-10, 21:51
FYI, the gun will work without the buffer retainer or retainer spring. It is more difficult to attach/close the upper, but once closed the gun will function correctly.

Complication
07-25-10, 22:07
FYI, the gun will work without the buffer retainer or retainer spring. It is more difficult to attach/close the upper, but once closed the gun will function correctly.

It certainly seems that way. But I don't like the idea of running a gun with parts missing (even if they're theoretically not necessary for the OPERATION of the gun). Intentionally running a gun with broken parts seems like bad mojo--especially when it's a $10 part.

az doug
07-25-10, 22:12
The only purpose of the that part is to hold the buffer in the position required for you to open or close the upper. I understand and appreciate you concern. Ultimately it is your gun and decision.

If I could get the part before the class I would, but I would not let a buffer retainer keep me from attending a class. Again, your gun, your decision.

Complication
07-25-10, 22:14
Indeed. It helps that 1) the part's on its way 2nd day shipping and 2) it's one of Grant's free classes so it's not like I'd be out a few hundred bucks if I had to take a pass this weekend.

It's the superstition in me that is wary of calling down the wrath of the AR gods :).