PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry on Army Corp of Engineer land?

An Undocumented Worker
07-25-10, 19:28
I mountain bike regularly on Army Corp of Engineer land that surrounds one of the local lakes, There are no actual army facilities in the area that I ride at, although the trail is surrounded by neighborhoods. My question is, what are the laws and or regs regarding concealed carry on Corp property?

shittercrewchief
07-25-10, 19:41
well safe bet would be no since its government property.

An Undocumented Worker
07-25-10, 20:02
It appears as though it may be prohibited, however the recent bill that allowed CCW in federal parks, etc. still leaves me with questions.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=16e6d299d2c8ed98e303234912118c58&rgn=div8&view=text&node=36:3.0.1.1.3.0.1.14&idno=36

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:

(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or

(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.

[65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]

I guess I need to contact the local office and see what they have to say.

CAVDOC
07-27-10, 12:02
quite honestly this is one of those beg for forgiveness d not ask for permission sort of things. In the gun phobic federal gov, pretty much all places that are fed property like you mention will be no gun zones. I never like going unarmed, but if I am on a closed post with a security force I feel a little better. The locale you describe sounds like an outdoor are with no security or perimeter- in this case you have to choose between breaking the rules or protecting yourself. If I was in your situation I'd find another bike path

ST911
07-27-10, 15:38
Calling and asking someone, "can I carry a gun in your..." will rarely result in a distinct and affirmative yes, even if it's the correct answer. Folks are much more likely to be ignorant, indifferent, afraid, opposed, or otherwise reluctant to say yes.

If I were inclined to ask such questions, I would form them carefully, frame them correctly, ask for a reference for whatever answer is offered, ID and document the employee ID I spoke with, preferably talk to someone at the supervisory or administrative level, and like precautions.

fn1889m
07-27-10, 19:05
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/employees/cecwon/memos-drill.cfm?Id=789

This memo says no, and still no. Some ACE waters allow duck hunting, and you can apparently store unloaded weapons in your RV (not car, but RV,) at ACE campsites. But CCW does not appear to be allowed on ACE lands.