PDA

View Full Version : My first USPSA Match

jeffreywt
07-25-10, 20:35
Yesterday, Jul 24 2010, I shot in my first USPSA match. I thought it would be useful to share my experience and what I learned. Sorry for the lengthy post but, I want to reflect on my experience and hopefully encourage others to take their first step in to competitive shooting.

I had never shot in an action or practical pistol match before. While I am a good (read competent) shooter on the range, shooting in USPSA was a very humbling experience. Being my first time out, I was not concerned in the least about scoring. I did not score well, however, I did not come in last either. If you are thinking about competing for the first time, by all means get out there and do it! Don't be intimidated. I thought about attending a match just to spectate and get a feel for things. A friend of mine told me "if you go to a match just to spectate, after about 2 minutes, you will wish you were there to shoot".

Speaking of friends, I had an experienced (limited, B class) shooter that I was able to shadow all day. This was immensely helpful. He was able to show me where to register, where the safe areas were, provide some insight about the stages, and so on. I never felt lost or out of place because he was there to guide me through. While this is not necessary to attend your first match, it certainly made my day easier and I could concentrate on shooting. If you see someone at the range with what looks like a competition setup, strike a conversation. Chances are they will be happy to show you the ropes.

My friend and I squadded up with probably the most experienced shooters. We had a few M level shooters and at least 1 GM in our squad. Everyone was gracious but I found out that folks of that skill level do not want to chit-chat. They are there to shoot for score. This was probably the only negative aspect of the day. I wish I could have gotten a bit more guidance. That is not to say folks were mean or annoyed that I was slowing them down. I never got that feeling. It was hotter than a whore in church outside yesterday and nobody was comfortable. I'm sure that had something to do with folks just wanting to "get it over with", for lack of a better explanation. After the match was over, everyone was gracious and willing to answer my questions.

What I Learned:

Trigger control is everything. Speed and sight picture means nothing without trigger control. Slapping at the trigger because you are in a hurry will ruin your score. This might seem obvious but it is much easier said then done. Everything you think you know can and will go right out the window when that buzzer goes off.

Half the battle is positioning. There were many many times that I would hustle to a set of multiple targets and then have to adjust my body position to hit them all. Having a game plan on the stages is very helpful.

Safety is key. Obviously, safety matters in the general context of shooting but more importantly, there are some gotchas to look out for. One example is opening doors and not sweeping your body at the same time. I never had a worry of being DQ'ed and the RO told me I was doing better than most in terms of safe handling. Even so, the best of shooters can make a mistake.

I should have brought a camera. Yep, this thread is worthless without pics.

What I Didn't Like

As mentioned before, I was probably not in the best squad for a new shooter. In retrospect, I am glad I got to hang out with the big dogs and again, never got the impression that I was unwanted in their squad. Still, there would have been some more conversing in a more relaxed squad.

There is an obvious gear race in USPSA. It creates a barrier of entry into limited class. Nobody shoots .40 or .45 in production. Race guns are not of interest to me and this means I am stuck shooting 9mm in production to not put myself at a disadvantage. I just bought a nice G21SF two weeks ago but now I need to swap it out for a full-size 9mm.

It was hot. I did good in this respect by hydrating before and during the match but it was still not a very nice day to be running around outside. Even so, I'm not sure this would have stopped me from going yesterday or in the future.

Gear I Used

Glock 19 (wish I had a full-size 17 instead)
Safariland 6377 ALS (fantastic holster)
5.11 Operator Belt (worked great)
Blade-tech mag pouches (also great)
5 magazines (4 on belt)
150 rds of WWB 115gr 9mm
Peltor Tac Sport Ear Pro (I like them a lot)
Oakley's (Delta wears these, right?)
Small hydration pack to haul my gear to each stage
BCM hat (got completely soaked)
A towel (seriously, bring a towel)
32oz of Gatorade and 64oz of Water

Looey
07-25-10, 21:28
Glad you went out and tried it, after i went to my first match i was also hooked on it. if you dont mind me asking, were did you go to shoot?

jeffreywt
07-25-10, 21:40
if you dont mind me asking, were did you go to shoot?

At the Pitt County Wildlife Club in Greenville, NC

zxd9
07-26-10, 20:25
USPSA is the most fun I've had shooting a pistol. Everyone should give it a try once. The first time doesn't even cost you anything.

VirginiaTactical
07-28-10, 07:32
Glad you had fun! Not all "Gms and Ms" are like that at all. I have been shooting for about 2 years now in uspsa, and I have gotten nothing but good advice and a very nice demeanor from most of the GMs, Ms, or professionals that I have been squaded with.

USPSA is a blast, a good sport to play. Welcome to the world of competition!

jwfuhrman
07-29-10, 11:12
I shoot Glock 35 (40cal) in Production. I do my own handloads, and you can get a 40 to shoot just as "soft" if not "softer" than a 9mm, and still have the option of moving to limited to make major power factor in the future.

I placed 5th in C class Production @ Indiana State USPSA this past weekend. I took 1st place a month ago in Ohio at the Buckeye Challenge in "D" class. I will probably be at B class by the end of next month.

40 can be just as competitive in Production as 9mm, just gotta use a light load. (180gr TC Cast bullets with 4.1grs of W231 for 800fps and a power factor of 144. That heavy of a bullet and slow of speed actually makes my gun recoil softer than when I started with Glock 34 in 9mm, and its MUCH easier to knock steel down with the bigger bullet

jwfuhrman
07-29-10, 11:17
also, about the Master and Grand Master shooters not wanting to chit-chat? Ive never had that. Matt Cheely and Bob Vogel, some of the top USPSA shooters were both there, Matt is from Detroit and is at all the big matches and some local matches here in Indiana. Here, no matter what "Class" you are, everyone is just as friendly and helpful as the next person. Hell, first big match I shot was the Single Stack/Production/Revolver Match in Indiana and Matt walked the stages with me and my buddy and helped us with game plans.

ROCKET20_GINSU
07-29-10, 22:59
Glad you enjoyed your first shoot, sounds like you got a great start. I love USPSA, it is addicting! :laugh:. I also shoot production and I enjoy it. I prefer the slight bias towards accuracy and I feel that there is less of a gear race there as you can be very competitive with a stock gun (depending on the model) in this division. I would hold on to the 21SF if you like the gun, consider shooting limited 10 (and you get to benefit from Major PF scoring :D). Keep on shooting and get classified, trying to improve my classification is one of the most fun, challenging and rewarding parts of the sport to me.

GU

jeffreywt
07-30-10, 22:06
I have decided to keep the G21SF. I think I'm going to pick up a Gen4 G17 to shoot in production.

Thanks for the encouragement!

hozer
07-31-10, 10:24
Your first match is always the hardest. Hard as in getting up enough nerve to possibly not look like a stud in front of people you dont know.

After my first match about a million years ago, I was hooked.

I shoot a lot more Steel Challenge, 3-gun and precision rifle these days, but IPSC and IDPA is still fun.

L-2598

Mark/MO
07-31-10, 13:45
Glad you enjoyed it, they can be a lot of fun. I've shot both USPSA and IDPA but am an extreme novice in both. I too shoot a G19 since it's my every day gun and I don't really worry to much about my score. I shoot for the fun/practice and consider my score as a general indicator of my performance only, not worrying too much about how it stacks up with others.

You mention the lack of chit-chat among the better shooters. I've not seen that but the matches I've shot are usually local ones and not a ton of M and GM shooters there. I agree with you, the heat could have been a factor. My experiences have been the opposite. The better, more experienced shooters have usually gone out of their way for me, especially once they know I'm a novice. Several times they have helped me with a walk thru or a suggestion here and there to help me with a particular stage.

jeffreywt
08-01-10, 00:01
The deal with folks not being chatty was mainly that they didn't know me. As I mentioned before, nobody was disrepectful. I guess the point I was making and the "tip" that I picked up is that there is a time to ask questions about anything and everything and a time to just stay in your lane. I did not expect someone to hold my hand (a ridiculous assumption) but I just had the trial by fire feeling on a few stages. The squad did not slow down on my account. If I were in a squad of new shooters, perhaps it would have been different. Looking back, it was just my perspective as a newbie and I was reading too much into things.

I have gotten to know a few folks post-match and they have been tremendously helpful with guiding me in the right direction. For instance, I was at the range today and without asking, was handed an open gun and a full magazine of .38 Super to play with. Then, a limited gun with full magazine of .40S&W. Ammo isn't cheap and these types of gestures speak volumes.

Now I am in a gun dilemma of what to purchase for competition and I will be seeking advice. I will continue that in another thread.

Again, thanks for the replies. :cool:

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-02-10, 01:27
Your first match is always the hardest. Hard as in getting up enough nerve to possibly not look like a stud in front of people you dont know.

After my first match about a million years ago, I was hooked.

I shoot a lot more Steel Challenge, 3-gun and precision rifle these days, but IPSC and IDPA is still fun.

L-2598

Nice to know we have a GM on the competition forum! :D, I've made a promise to myself to keep shooting my G34 until I make M in production. Still have a ways to go but its a very fun goal!

GU

scubadds
08-10-10, 09:21
Good post,
I just shot my first steel challenge at Ant Hill Range this weekend. (near Southport, NC)
Went ahead and joined the range and hope to shoot USPSA soon and really excited about the 3 gun coming up.

I am also confused on gun choice. I shot my gen 4 g17 with trigger work and dawson sights. I am very happy with it.

For some reason I feel compelled to get a g35. Not sure if going major is a good or a bad thing. Found a g35 that comes with a g34 slide with barsto barrel. I guess that gives me lots of options?

Seller also has a g17 stock barrel in a lone wolf slide.

Not sure if I need the g17 slide?

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-10-10, 15:39
I shot at ant hill for a USPSA match a couple of years ago when I was at bragg, it is a beautiful range =) I thought that it was really cool that the Magpull guys shot the AOTTC2 there. I miss shooting with grass.

GU

scubadds
08-10-10, 18:07
I shot at ant hill for a USPSA match a couple of years ago when I was at bragg, it is a beautiful range =) I thought that it was really cool that the Magpull guys shot the AOTTC2 there. I miss shooting with grass.

GU

The Blue Rusty Car (maybe a caprice) from the magpul video is still out there.
Had a mini flashback when I saw it, sorta the .....I've been here before feeling

I pulled the trigger on a g35 today, also getting with it a g34 slide with Fitted Barsto barrel and other goodies

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-11-10, 02:47
You will enjoy the 35, great gaming gun, very versatile. You can load the .40 to minor PF for production and I have been told that this makes it a very tame load.

GU

chubs
08-11-10, 20:24
I know a couple of guys that shoot out in Greenville. I personally haven't made it out there to run a match, but plan to here in the upcoming months. Good to see you had an overall good experience.

sonofagun2012
08-29-10, 20:32
I enjoyed reading your post. You have me interested in going out and trying this out. Thanks for the detail on your experience. So give us an update on how your following matches have been.

chriskc04
08-30-10, 08:58
Glad to hear you enjoyed it and welcome to the sport!

FWIW, I've been shooting my HK45 in production (and have been doing better than with my P226 9mm).

I hope you enjoy the sport as much as I do. Videos can be fun to watch but also a great tool for assessing yourself. Some guys even do the helmet-cam things...

jeffreywt
09-25-10, 17:27
I enjoyed reading your post. You have me interested in going out and trying this out. Thanks for the detail on your experience. So give us an update on how your following matches have been.

I missed out on shooting the match in August due to work but I shot the Sept match today. I finished very well (12th out of 25th in Production). Most of my scores are around 40% so I'm hoping to be classified as C once I shoot enough classifiers. We shot Quicky II today which is a mix of strong hand and weak hand. It was fun!

I switched to a Glock 17 with all the proper accessories (CR speed belt and pouches, Blade-tech DOH holster, and Warren/Sevigny sights). It's great and I'm really glad to have the full frame to wrap my hands around.

I got to chat with Todd Jarrett today. He's a super nice guy. We talked about the weather :D

I'll hoping to shoot in the NC Sectional next week.