PDA

View Full Version : House help, ID'ing PVC pool piping.

Irish
07-26-10, 11:11
I realize this is M4C and not poolhelp.com but it's the only online forum I regularly participate in and I have a question no one I know personally has the answer to, even Google.

I'm looking at purchasing a larger house that has a pool, Pebble Tec, and it has 5 PVC pipes (2 have same diameter & 3 others match) coming out of the back area vertically closest to the rear wall that I can't identify. My first thought was tiki torch holders, kinda close together, or possibly to go to a waterfall type of thing but doesn't seem likely. If anybody can tell me what these do or the reason they're there I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Along right side of picture.
http://a.imageshack.us/img823/9809/pool1.jpg

Towards back wall.
http://a.imageshack.us/img9/3513/poolfrommaster.jpg

The mystery PVC.
http://a.imageshack.us/img186/6431/house058.jpg

pilotguyo540
07-26-10, 11:28
Do these go anywhere or do they just terminate a foot or two straight down?

Irish
07-26-10, 11:29
Do these go anywhere or do they just terminate a foot or two straight down?

They look like they stop about a foot down. I forgot to bring a flashlight with me. They are built into the Pebble Tec which I thought was kind of weird, never seen anything like it.

pilotguyo540
07-26-10, 11:33
if they lead to nowhere they must be holders for something. I would fill them with something visually appealing to negate a trip hazard. Better safe. You may be able to use them as a mini mortar launcher for the fourth of july :D

Irish
07-26-10, 11:35
if they lead to nowhere they must be holders for something. I would fill them with something visually appealing to negate a trip hazard. Better safe. You may be able to use them as a mini mortar launcher for the fourth of july :D

Awesome idea! Mini-mortars the wife will love :sarcastic: Maybe I'll join a pool forum and ask around there...

Ga Shooter
07-26-10, 12:09
Does the pool have a Jacuzzi feature? If it does those are probably air intakes for that. If not it may be where the pump used to be but they moved it for some reason. What you can do is look down with a flashlight and run water or air through them to see where they go.

pilotguyo540
07-26-10, 12:17
Does the pool have a Jacuzzi feature? If it does those are probably air intakes for that. If not it may be where the pump used to be but they moved it for some reason. What you can do is look down with a flashlight and run water or air through them to see where they go.

Seems like a bad place for anything but a water feature. I would look for valving associated with this. The pipes look a little large to feed a water feature, but scale is very hard to depict from a picture. Again if they go nowhere they are cosmetic only.

Irish
07-26-10, 12:54
I couldn't find a control for a jacuzzi feature and think the pool may be too big for this. Pipes are approx ID 1.5" and about 10" tall. I think it's way too big to be a water feature as the pump would need to generate a lot of pressure to feed water to all 5 tubes.

Irish
07-26-10, 12:56
What you can do is look down with a flashlight and run water or air through them to see where they go.

We put in an offer on the house today so if everything gets approved that'll be my next step. Thanks for the tips so far everyone.

sjc3081
07-26-10, 13:01
Some of the reasons for these hoses my by, a hose to drain the deepest end of the pool when replacing the liner and a blow out hose for the waterfall line when closing the pool for winter. If you water table is high ,when servicing the deep end when pool is drained you need to suck out the ground water to replace the liner.

Ga Shooter
07-26-10, 13:02
Sounds good. Keep us posted. Good luck with your offer.

ryan
07-26-10, 13:11
I am a pool professional (yes there is such a thing) my off hand geuss would be a venturi set up for bubbling return jetts, I have seen fountains set up in similar fasion, If the pool leaks go to American Leak Detection.com to get started, fyi check the skimmer throats where the gunite (pebbletec) meets the plastic of the skimmer with a syringe full of food coloring may have to get in the pool with a mirror to see it

ryan
07-26-10, 13:14
Na on second look they look odd, plug off all but one and blow compressed air thru and watch for bubbles

Irish
07-26-10, 13:22
I am a pool professional (yes there is such a thing)

Anywhere near Vegas? :smile:

ryan
07-26-10, 13:31
Anywhere near Vegas? :smile:

Man if I was I would certainly hook you up, There is an American Leak Detection out there, If you need him I can provide his name and number when I get back to the office. Out there water loss can very well be due to evaporation(low humidity levels), a bucket test can clarify how much is evaporating and how much the pool is leaking (if its leaking). But he can certainly tell you where the pipes go if anywhere, and will probly do it for a reduced rate versus a full leak detection.

Business_Casual
07-26-10, 19:30
Why not just make it part of the home inspection? Or are pools exempt for some reason?

B_C

Irish
07-26-10, 19:46
Why not just make it part of the home inspection? Or are pools exempt for some reason?

B_C

This'll be a VA loan and they're pretty strict on inspections so I'm sure it'll be covered. I was just wondering if anybody else knew what they might be prior to that. Curiosity, nothing more.

Did just get a call from our lender and the seller's asking to verify information which sounds like a good sign to me. :)

ryan
07-26-10, 19:48

B_C

Home inspectors wouldnt know what to look for, or where to look, most pool companies dont either, they are really good at cleaning, chemicals, pumps, liners, resurfacing, etc., but do not know how to find nor are they equiped to find leaks on underground plumbing.

rickrock305
07-26-10, 20:40
kinda looks like a water feature to me just because of the way the lip runs off into the pool. but its kinda weird it wouldn't have some sort of back. does it slope into the pool or have any type of lip on the back that would indicate it would keep water headed into the pool instead of spilling off into the rocks?