PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter Kit

neo9710
07-26-10, 16:13
A couple of my peers and I were talking about this very issue just the other day and...Hmm...

On my spare time (the LITTLE that I have), I enjoy the occasional motorcycle ride (on a ZX10r!) and I have had to unfortunate luck to have friends get seriously hurt and/or die. So, the internet search started and i stumbled onto Nutnfancy's little tibits on First Aid. I started carrying the underlying kit on every ride/work bag and it now has a permanent home on my Maxpedition Gearslinger backpack that goes everywhere with me. Heres pretty much whats in it:

(1) Disposable CPR Mask
(1) EMT sheers
misc small bandaids
(2) pairs of rubber gloves
(2) packs of wound closure strips (5 strips per pack)
(2) Non- adherent sterile pads 3”x4”
(2) Combine ABD Pad 5”x9”
(2) Sterile Sponges 4x4
(2) burn gel (small packets)
(1) Burn wrap (WaterJel)
(2) antiseptic pain relieving gel
(2) razorblades
Bandage wrap and tape.
Alcohol prep pads
Iodine prep pads
Antiseptic towelettes
CPR Face shield (disposable)
(1) Swat – T Tourniquet
Tweezers
Ibuprofen, Excedrin, mic allergy medicine

And it’s all packed away in a resalable LOKSAK Ziplock bag (I STONGLY recommend these!) But, my Medic bag (Maxpedition FIGHT) on my plate carrier remains empty. Something I am going to correct. :confused: I saw mention of an artice in a SWAT magazine so I think I need to look for it. The only training my Dept.(Police) has given me is basically CPR/Defibulator training so I am not looking to save the world. Just as mentioned before - I think it should be lightweight and designed to save me and/or my partner. Mission: basically used for my active shooter loadout. I carry I am ordering some Quickclot (25gr).

This is my plan for by Medic Bag:

Couple pairs or ribber gloves
EMT Sheers
Disposable CPR Mask
One or two -Swat – T Tourniquet
two QuickClots
couple Non- adherent sterile pads 3”x4”
couple Combine ABD Pad 5”x9”
Medical Tape

Below is the link for the Ziplock Bags I recommend:

http://www.loksak.com/

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

airwayguru
07-27-10, 22:28
Let me tell you are off to a good start. Here is what I would add to your kit along with your current supply list.

Rescue Hook (Attach to Vest) (Benchmade)
Cinch Tight and/or Israeli Trauma Dressing
Emergency Blanket (Adventure Medical Kit)
Black Marker (Writing on the Patient)

You can also check out some tactical supply stores on what they got for supplies.:)

motorwerks
07-28-10, 12:27
some sort of light?

This kit has the list I started off with.

http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=6000&storeid=1&image=gobag.gif&CFID=1724737&CFTOKEN=38748186

Then I added an MRE, water, and some other things that I would have to look through the bag to remember but since I am not LEO (I am EMS though) I just kinda built it to fit my home defense and Travel needs. I also take it with me when I go to the range for my first aid and I use the water while I'm out so I can rotate it every month or two.

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
07-30-10, 17:46
I thought that this video was helpful on Active Shooter / Bailout Bags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyjlFl8Hk8

I would load up on ETDs and have a few ChemLights, Door Stops and Zip Ties.

MIKE G
07-30-10, 20:15
For active shooter I teach and recommend a backpack or shoulder bag that can carry 'pullouts', prepackaged kits to manage the major killers (bleeding, occluded airway, tension pneumothorax). I have been making these for years and used them when deployed as well as in my MCI bag when working EMS. A TQ, combat dressing of some kind, packing material, nasal, deco needle, gloves, tape. Anything else is gravy. That covers med gear, if you intend on entering a structure that is an active hot zone you should have a gun, be able to feed it, and I would recommend having the ability to mark where you have cleared either with chem lights, chalk, or a jumbo marker.

The IC3 kits that we sell are great for these types of bags because we include chem lights in the kit so that you can mark a patient in low light situations with a small amount of light as well as all the gear needed to provide basic lifesaving care.

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
07-31-10, 19:32
I was of thinking for road rash while on the bike, you may want to pack a Tac Med BLAST Bandage

kmrtnsn
07-31-10, 19:48
Countycomm.com is a good source of supply for the odds and ends and even the bag for your AS kit.

starlight_cdn
08-15-10, 10:54
We are looking to get involved with the MP active shooter response for the base.

This looks pretty slick. Thoughts.

ARK Active Shooter Response Kit by Tactical Medical Solutions (http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiskeyDelta737#p/c/4CA0B0EE5B869E8D/19/T9AItVzG8A8)

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-23-10, 21:22
We are looking to get involved with the MP active shooter response for the base.

This looks pretty slick. Thoughts.

ARK Active Shooter Response Kit by Tactical Medical Solutions (http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiskeyDelta737#p/c/4CA0B0EE5B869E8D/19/T9AItVzG8A8)

Its good to be in the big Army as I drool over Tac Med stuff and I not even a medic. In my mind, the emphasis would be on both one man and team tactics to bear down and kill the shooter with significant firepower as soon as the incident occurs. I would imagine that would entail what ever gear or equipment that one could carry on daily basis. And undoubtedly, there will be multiple casualties within a few minutes. The Ft. Hood incident still pisses me off and something that the IDF doesn't worry about as everyone gets to carry at all times.

starlight_cdn
08-24-10, 12:05
In my mind, the emphasis would be on both one man and team tactics to bear down and kill the shooter with significant firepower as soon as the incident occurs. I would imagine that would entail what ever gear or equipment that one could carry on daily basis. And undoubtedly, there will be multiple casualties within a few minutes. The Ft. Hood incident still pisses me off and something that the IDF doesn't worry about as everyone gets to carry at all times.

The CF has an active shooter program on the bases. Gear is securely cached in specific loc known to those involved. I was more looking for input on the ARK bag for me (or others) as a medic on an active shooter team. Thanks your points are valid though...:cool:

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-24-10, 17:29
I do like the throw kit distribution system and the overall slim line design of the pack. The proof is in the pudding after training with same. The problem is you don't know how well something will or will not work when buying new kit. I have gone through flipin a lot of gear to this end. I am going back to old school.

neo9710
10-04-10, 17:25
Ok -

Well..Although I like Maxepditions stuff..They FIGHT Medical Bag is TOO BIG to have on my Chest Rig..Any other recommendations??

This is it now..

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk197/kawlreaper/loadout/IMG_3629.jpg