PDA

View Full Version : Guy shot for his AR at public range

Waggoneer
07-26-10, 17:20
Hopefully this isn't a duplicate post, but it seems to be pertient, especially to those who put lots of money into their rifles.

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Autopsy-results-released-in-rifle-range-shooting/rJo8ianQAEGbqaaNuQJ4Kg.cspx

CBS 21 News has new information about a homicide that happened at a Cumberland County shooting range Wednesday.

The Cumberland County Coroner performed an autopsy Thursday, on 42 year old todd Getgen of Enola.
The coroner says that he died from multiple gunshot wounds, but they won't say where he was shot.

The Cumberland County District Attorney says that Todd Getgen was a firearms enthusiast. That was his hobby. He just purchased and was licensed for a custom made semi-automatic with a silencer.
The D.A. says someone shot him from a distance and took off with his rifle.I
It happened Wednesday in broad daylight at a public shooting range on State Game land in North Middleton Township, Cumberland County.
Getgen's body was found there around two Wednesday afternoon, by another person who came there to use the range.
Investigators don't know yet if he was targeted or if this was random.

" I don't want to speculate on that at this point its too early. What we know is he was shot multiple times. The gun he was using is a serious piece of machinery, expensive, it was gone," said Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed.

In Getgen's Enola neighborhood, his friends still can't believe he was murdered.

" They kind of kept to themselves good people. Just friendly, a nice, good family man," said a neighbor.

Police are still looking for the shooter.
Meantime they're asking firearms dealers to check their inventory to see if they may have a custom built AR-15 type semi-automatic rifle with a Lewis Machine Company model Defender 2000 lower receiver equipped with a 30 HRT upper receiver and a Yankee Hill Machine Company Phantom model 308 caliber silencer.

On May 21st, North Middleton Township Police say they another firearm was reported stolen from that same shooting range, where Getgen was killed. It was a 308 caliber Remington 700 tactical rifle.

OTO27
07-26-10, 17:39
This is why I am glad to be able to use a private range. Its amazing the kinds of people they let in at public ranges these days.

Jimbo45
07-26-10, 17:41
My goodness. Yet another reason I always carry a sidearm (even if only shooting a long gun for that sesssion), and remain very aware of my surroundings, at my PD range. Its private, but very open to potential snipers. Prayers sent for his family. :(

rychencop
07-26-10, 17:48
you know the thought of that occurring at my range has crossed my mind more than once. it's in the middle of no where. sobering thought for sure.

Safetyhit
07-26-10, 17:48
This is the second such thread here we have had here recently. Definitely a long shot, but something to take note of regardless.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58105.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-26-10, 19:12
I guess sling your rifle or at least pull the bolt when you go down range.

The rules for public ranges are starting to sound like the rules for a gung fight. Bring a gun, bring a long gun, bring a friend with a gun, have him bring a friend.

A suppressor is now out in the wild.

jklaughrey
07-26-10, 20:21
Sad and scary and in this economic crisis things will get worse before they get better.

NinjaMedic
07-26-10, 20:51
Well I guess the BATF will be in someones asshole pretty soon. I guess they are good for something.

m4fun
07-26-10, 21:05
forget the murder charge - possion of an NFA item without papers...thats minimum time and money.

Seriously - looks like a good adbvertisement for the buddy system.

GermanSynergy
07-26-10, 21:22
The Feds will be all over this, as an NFA item has been stolen. I hope the bastard(s) are caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

mnagant762
07-27-10, 04:33
This shit is starting to get out of hand. That range is about an hour away from my house. Guess that's another reason to not use public ranges.

Spiffums
07-27-10, 09:44
forget the murder charge - possion of an NFA item without papers...thats minimum time and money.

Probably get more time out of the NFA than the murder charges..........

500grains
07-27-10, 09:53
My crystal ball predicts "home grown right wing terrorist" in the headlines.

Rider79
07-27-10, 10:53
Wow. I grew up about 20 minutes from that range, went shooting there a couple times before I joined the West Shore Sportsmen's Association.

What good will it do for local dealers to check their inventory? There's very few Class 3 dealers in that area, and I doubt any of them is going to take a suppressor without papers into their inventory.

DaBears_85
07-27-10, 12:57
What good will it do for local dealers to check their inventory? There's very few Class 3 dealers in that area, and I doubt any of them is going to take a surpressor without papers into their inventory.

I doubt whoever stole it would try and sell it anyway. It's probably just gonna be used to commit more crimes.

1911pro
07-27-10, 18:47
Kind of makes me think about the late evenings at the range alone and my wife telling me to be careful. She worries to much or maybe I do not worry enough.

djegators
07-27-10, 21:30
Back in the mid 90s there were reports of this happening at the range in the Ocala National Forest we would frequent. It is a public range with no range officers in a very secluded area in the forest. Would be quite easy for a few guys to scope it out, wait for there to be only one guy, or so, and come up on them quick, or while they were changing targets. Anyways, our routine quickly became to only go in groups, and keep our sidearms holstered at all times.

mr_smiles
07-27-10, 21:33
Another safety reason to wear a vest while at the range. :(

Ridge_Runner_5
07-27-10, 23:54

:confused:

Personally, I'd put the senseless death of a human being over a runaway supressor

BrianS
07-28-10, 00:49

Probably not much you could do to defend against something this cold blooded.

bkb0000
07-28-10, 01:49
very, very lame. may they catch the POS, and may he burn.

alone at my range, i once got the sensation of being watched while walking out to the 200m berm.. by 100m, i was visualizing taking a 30 cal soft-point load to the back.. my adrenaline started to surge, my heart started to pound. being a rational guy, i just chalked it up to too much coffee and nerves, and tried to press on... but by the time i got to 120m, i just knew i was about to take fire, and from the vicinity of the treeline above the clubhouse. fully into fight-or-flight, i spun around, brought my weapon up, and zig-zagged my cold-sweaty ass back to the firing line, scanning the treeline above and around the clubhouse the entire time. packed my shit, threw it in the truck, and hauled ass. never in my life had anything like it happen before, or since. and i've been back probably 50 times since, alone half the time, and never had any further anxiety. freaken spookiest moment i've ever had.

i'll never know if somebody really was up there, glassed 30'06 resting on a log, hidden behind the leaves... i imagine that's probably what happened to this poor sonuvabitch, though.

Honu
07-28-10, 03:46
follow your gut for sure !!!!!

scary stuff

Alaskapopo
07-28-10, 13:47

Unfortunately soft body armor will not stop a rifle round.
Pat

mr_smiles
07-28-10, 16:24
Unfortunately soft body armor will not stop a rifle round.
Pat

That's why you wear plates in your carrier. ;)

Alaskapopo
07-28-10, 20:21

Good idea but way too much weight. I am already carring 45 pounds of gear on me as it is.
Pat

10MMGary
07-28-10, 20:45
Nothing new happening here, BGs have been getting guns this way since there has been BGs. The two scumbags from the 1986 Miami FBI shoot out Platt and Matix shot/killed people out target shooting and stole their guns and cars. I would never go to a secluded unregulated open to the public shooting range without having at least a posse of three. It is only going to get worse before it gets better.

NCPatrolAR
07-30-10, 18:46
Posting this for member D.O.B.A.

There is Breaking news regarding the Murder at the State gamelands riflerange in Carlisle PA. there is a thread in GD started by Waggoneer regarding the incident that happened last wednesday! CBS 21 in Harrisburg is reporting that three warrants were executed today, the first was for a storage facility outside of Carlisle, and the murder victims weapon (that was stolen after the crime) has been recovered, along with another rifle that was stolen at the same range at an earlier time that may in fact be the murder weapon, a suspect is in custody and is currently being questioned!!

bkb0000
07-30-10, 18:53
good. string that piece of shit up.

Safetyhit
07-31-10, 09:53
being a rational guy, i just chalked it up to too much coffee...

I hope you have changed brands.

:D

skyugo
07-31-10, 11:43
good to hear they probably got the guy...
i mostly shoot at a private indoor place. going out in the sticks alone to shoot is a risky proposition... keep that sidearm ready.

Captains1911
07-31-10, 21:16

The day I feel the need to wear plate armor at the range just to feel safe, is the day I find a new range.

TUNNEL RAT 33
08-02-10, 14:37
there have been a few reported thefts where my parents live in P.A. ( northern poconos ) . i always make sure my rifles are slung now and that my pistol is loaded and concealed when shooting at the rifle section , and that my pistol is holstered when shooting pistol . apparently its the criminal element spilling overfrom the city , and very easy to go to a range and shop .