PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on selling current rifle for something a little more lighter weight.

johnson
07-26-10, 19:00
I've had sciatica for a while and got hurt again this weekend which resulted in not being able to stand on my own two feet (doing ok now). How much weight is saved if I went with a new setup? Better handling?

Current rifle has a BCM 16" BFH barrel w/ DD LITE 12.0, Troy front and rear and TR24G. I think the total is around $2200 new. What could I realistically sell it for?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/johnson_n/IMG_1962.jpg

Direction I'm thinking about with the new rifle...

BCM 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
PWS FSC556 Tactical Compensator
BCM Bolt Carrier Group and Standard Charging Handle
Troy Industries Folding Battlesight - REAR
Aimpoint H-1 w/ LaRue LT660
BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch
Magpul MOE Handguard - Carbine - BLACK
Sell EMOD for CTR

adh
07-26-10, 20:28
I'm in a similar boat. I'd like something lighter as well. The new KAC Magpul SR15E3 would be tits as an all purpose for my needs, but can't even consider moving that way at the moment.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57417

I've been trying to move my upper for a while now with no luck. Same reasoning with me.....weight, but I am not dealing with the sciatica. Personally I think that the $1050 I'm asking is totally fair considering the complete BCG/CH, and MBUS, but evidently no one is in the market for such a beast at this time. Hell BCM would sell something comparable without sights or BCG/CH for $875 (using a BFH and Larue 12.0). I'm thinking about just dropping the price to $800 without the sights and BCG/CH. I'm sure it would move faster that way. You'd probably see the same. Part everything out and keep what you'll still need, and sell it piece meal. Rarely will you break even in a situation like this.

spamsammich
07-26-10, 20:33
Why would you put a carbine handguard on a mid length upper?

johnson
07-26-10, 20:40
To save some weight...

It was an oversight.

JSGlock34
07-26-10, 21:11
I'd start by saving weight on the current build before investing in a whole new upper. Switching from the Accupoint to the H1 and from the EMOD to a IMOD or CTR will probably drop a pound from the rifle. See how that balances for you first.

If you are really going for weight savings, why not one of the BCM light weight barrel profile uppers? I'm not sure going from the 16" BFH to the 14.5" mid-length is that much of a weight savings unless you are using the pencil barrel. In any case, if you plan on buying an extra upper, the current sale at BCM is hard to pass up.

spamsammich
07-27-10, 00:37
I went from lite rails to VTAC TRX Extreme rails and the difference in weight/balance was amazing. The caveat is you really have to shoot with gloves on if you'll be doing a lot of sustained fire. From a bench, heat wasn't an issue, but running several drills consecutively made me a little uncomfortable without gloves. I have a black CTR that I'd be willing to part with if you want, just pm me for details.

jhs1969
07-27-10, 01:33
I'm also in the same boat, well, actually my wife is. She is having a hard time with the forward weight. I've got my 6920 where I wanted it, a lot of it I removed from her LMT. Her LMT now only has a Troy rear sight, she complains it is still too heavy. I'm now leaning toward a Colt 6720 for her. Here is one.

https://policeguns.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=6615&osCsid=354304kp48f0r0u6o4du95iu36

She thinks she wants a bullpup, in paticular the AUG/A3. I've tried to explain to her that it is about 2lbs heavier but she is still unsure what exactly she wants.

Due to price, parts and mags I'm looking more at the 6720.

500grains
07-27-10, 05:57
Magpul MOE forearm with a little 5 slot rail section for your flashlight - not sure of the weight savings - 7 ounces?

DD or BCM pencil barrel to save 6 ounces over the barrel you have.

Aimpoint micro instead of your variable scope, ctr butt = dropping ~ 1

A really easy way to save a few ounces is to drop the rail covers.

Or just buy the 6720 and drop in a MOE forearm and MOE buttstock. Personally I would also change out the rear sight on the Colt.

ForTehNguyen
07-27-10, 07:23
only way youre going to have significant weight reduction is using lightweight upper with a free float tube, even more if you use a cavalry arms polymer lower. My current 12" rail setup is similar to yours, just an eotech 512 and ACS stock instead, its about 8lbs 2oz. My cavalry arms lower + BCM 16" middy lightweight upper + Primary Arms Aimpoint H1 clone is about 6lbs 2oz. Save a little more going 14.5" middy.

andy t
07-27-10, 07:35
The market now is the opposite of what it was 1.5 years ago. Unless something is a great deal, it is not likely to move fast. I usually look for at least 25% off retail price as a definition of a "great deal". I am in the market for a new upper, but I am not buying one unless I see an awesome deal and a very close to the specification that I want, since BCM has a great selection that I can pick and choose from at any point, I am in no rush.
I do have a lightweight BCM upper with pencil bbl and TRX Extreme that feels great in my hands and you can feel the difference in weight compared to other rifles. I used it in a three day course and it worked great. However, you do have to use gloves for any extended firing as the rail gets hot.
However, for my new upper, I am thinking of getting a standard bbl with a more traditional rail.

cmace22
07-27-10, 12:09
Couldnt you just re profile the barrel, loose the scope and mount, change the stock and have a much lighter rifle.

IMHO most of the weight savings are in the barrel length and profile.

Stickman
07-27-10, 12:19
Direction I'm thinking about with the new rifle...

BCM 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group BCM LW middy
PWS FSC556 Tactical Compensator keep this
BCM Bolt Carrier Group and Standard Charging Handle kill the CH
Troy Industries Folding Battlesight - MBUS

Aimpoint H-1 w/ LaRue LT660 IIRC DD is a tad lighter if you aren't moving it around
BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch keep
Magpul MOE Handguard - Carbine - BLACK use middy MOE
Sell EMOD for CTR CTR or even old school CAR stock

The above would be my thoughts on this, only small changes.

jasonhgross
07-27-10, 12:19
I would try the following first:

1. Trade out the stock for something lighter

2. Go for a T-1 over the scope you have.

Try those out, and see how it feels before trading in the whole upper. Besides, you can repurpose the T1 and stock to the other upper if its still not light enough.

usmcvet
07-27-10, 13:03
Is an SBR an option for you?

I would try trimming weight with a new stock and optic. As said above the market is pretty tight right now. I really like your set up as it sits. Do you have any shooting buddies or a local gunshop where you could go try some things out to see if the weight makes a difference for you.

Hopefully the pain gets better soon,

johnson
07-27-10, 13:26
Thanks for the replies everyone.

cmace, I would think it'd be more expensive sending it out to get the barrel reprofiled than to buy a new one.

stick, I know what you mean about the standard CH but it's actually cheaper to buy the BCG from BCM as a combo.

SBR is an option. I don't know if I want to trade size/weight for louder muzzle blast.

Stickman
07-27-10, 13:34
stick, I know what you mean about the standard CH but it's actually cheaper to buy the BCG from BCM as a combo.

SBR is an option. I don't know if I want to trade size/weight for louder muzzle blast.

Sounds good, go with the cheaper option and keep the extra part for a spare. Thats a win win deal.

If you can go SBR, its worth the difference. Just use something aside from a brake on the end.

There are a lot of people talking about the Battle Comp, and how good it is. One of these days I'll have to see how one does on a SBR. On 16" platforms, lots of things work great, but that changes once you get into the short guys.

cmace22
07-27-10, 13:38
Thanks for the replies everyone.

cmace, I would think it'd be more expensive sending it out to get the barrel reprofiled than to buy a new one.

Adco will do it for $95.

A new barrel would run 2-3x that.

Im more of the sell it and buy new kinda guy, but If I were trying to save some money i would have it re-profiled.

usmcvet
07-27-10, 13:51
Sounds good, go with the cheaper option and keep the extra part for a spare. Thats a win win deal.

If you can go SBR, its worth the difference. Just use something aside from a brake on the end.

There are a lot of people talking about the Battle Comp, and how good it is. One of these days I'll have to see how one does on a SBR. On 16" platforms, lots of things work great, but that changes once you get into the short guys.

Stick

The Battle Comp rocks on my PD issued 10.5" LMT upper I have some video. It really does not even move on FA. Do you post video the same way you post photos? If there is a video posting thread could some one pout me in the right direction?

If you go the SBR route it will be loud. I tried just a pair or yellow EAR ear plugs for one round of fire during a recent class and ran for my over the ear muffs as soon as i could. There was three of us in a row. It might have been okay if it had been just me.

500grains
07-28-10, 08:31
The market now is the opposite of what it was 1.5 years ago. Unless something is a great deal, it is not likely to move fast.

Or at all. It's funny to see those ads that say, "This build cost me $1800 and I have fired 400 rounds through it. Just looking to get my money back. Price is $1800 plus shipping." Just hilarious!

johnson
07-28-10, 12:25
I've been doing some reading and I'm almost positve I want an SBR. I was set on the BCM 11.5" light weight but then the 12.5" kino version caught my eye. With the 12.5", there's only a 4 oz difference from the 16". I guess it shouldnt matter because ounces turns into pounds when going with the lighter optic, rail, etc.

usmcvet
07-28-10, 13:39
I've been doing some reading and I'm almost positve I want an SBR. I was set on the BCM 11.5" light weight but then the 12.5" kino version caught my eye. With the 12.5", there's only a 4 oz difference from the 16". I guess it shouldnt matter because ounces turns into pounds when going with the lighter optic, rail, etc.

That is easy start with the 12.5" then when the 11.5" lightweight uppers are avaliable get one of those too. The Kino looks good it will give you a midlength rail and a little more weight. Beyond weight you will still have a shorter weapon that will be easier to move with.

motorwerks
07-28-10, 14:16
Chronic Sciatica here.... luckily I'm not affected but weight as you are I guess. As I walk around mine goes away, its sitting that kills me.

Anyhow pretty much everything else I was going to say was said above.

johnson
07-28-10, 21:22
12.5" kino it is. I just don't get why they (BCM) charge an extra $70 and $93 over the cost of the DD or LaRue rail to have it already installed.

gundam83
07-29-10, 19:44
Who makes a lightweight railed forend?

usmcvet
07-29-10, 19:59
Troy Extreme and Daniele Defense Lit Rail are two I can think of.

jmr
07-31-10, 09:58
That seems funny because some people go crazy for wanting to get a genuine heavy profile M4A1 barrel instead of the lighter M4 profile.

spamsammich
07-31-10, 10:54
That seems funny because some people go crazy for wanting to get a genuine heavy profile M4A1 barrel instead of the lighter M4 profile.

I know I'm going to generalize too much but a lot of the time, the people going for the heavier barrels are either new to the board or new to ARs and are just gay for a M4gery. Those with a clue, that have done some training, or have had to pack a rifle around for work know the value of saving weight. Just sayin...

500grains
07-31-10, 10:59
new to ARs and are just gay for a M4gery.

Hee! Hee! hee!

johnson
07-31-10, 13:57
After a few days of thinking, I am contemplating on sending the upper to ADCO for a reprofile and have some dimpling done in front of the gas block. Cost would be around $260 with return shipping. I figure I would lose about $300 selling the upper so adding some more money would be a better choice, and at the same time I don't need to have a pinned muzzle device (compared to a 14.5"). I am still sending in paperwork to SBR the receiver though.

$115 - Dimple barrel forward of the FSB
$65 - Contour barrel under the handguard
$55 - Disassemble - Reassemble complete Free Float Upper

motorwerks
07-31-10, 14:33
I know I'm going to generalize too much but a lot of the time, the people going for the heavier barrels are either new to the board or new to ARs and are just gay for a M4gery. Those with a clue, that have done some training, or have had to pack a rifle around for work know the value of saving weight. Just sayin...

Whats funny though is when I weighed my m4 barrel and my "lightweight" barrel they were only a few ounces different. Under the handguard it was a little thinner then the light weight but as you can imagine the M4 was a little thicker outside the handguard. But not much.

andy t
07-31-10, 19:15
Are you planning on using the same scope? If you want to go with a red dot, I would suggest seeing if you can track somebody down with an Aimpoint Micro, and replacing the stock with MOE and then seeing how well the rifle feels.

usmcvet
07-31-10, 19:54
12.5" kino it is. I just don't get why they (BCM) charge an extra $70 and $93 over the cost of the DD or LaRue rail to have it already installed.

They have to pay some one to install it. I assume it is the labor and some mark up on the labor.

rob_s
07-31-10, 20:34
I have been an advocate for lightweight rifles for years. Where there is no loss in performance for a given application using heavier parts and pieces is not logical as there is no benefit.

I now have a Colt 6933 with all MOE furniture and T-1 in DD mount and DD rear, along with an MI FSB light mount so that when the light isn't needed it can be further lightened (no pun intended) that is IMHO the pinnacle of weight reduction:performance for my needs. When I do not have T&E guns that need shot the 6933 gets the most rounds down range and if I reach for a gun to take to a match, class, or practice session it is this 6933 that winds up in the truck with me.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BORESIGHT.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_3943.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/me%20shooting/10333_135282863103_505973103_247-1.jpg

usmcvet
07-31-10, 21:19
Rob

I've looked and can not find the post where you show how you modified your Moe handguards for an HK sling clip. I think that is a great way to avoid the expense and cost of a rail.

rob_s
07-31-10, 21:28
It's in the Blue Force Gear Vickers one-point conversion thread.

MistWolf
07-31-10, 21:40
Are you planning on using the same scope? If you want to go with a red dot, I would suggest seeing if you can track somebody down with an Aimpoint Micro, and replacing the stock with MOE and then seeing how well the rifle feels.

I read about a company that will replace the nitrogen in scope with helium to lighten a scope and improve light transmission. They found that while hydrogen will lighten the scope further, it causes embrittlement in critical parts. However, they had success with placing canisters of hydrogen in AR stocks. Some testers felt that it made the carbines feel muzzle heavy. In response, they plan to develop hydrogen canisters that will mount on rails allowing the end user not only to lighten their weapons but obtain perfect balance as well

:haha::jester:

usmcvet
07-31-10, 21:43
It's in the Blue Force Gear Vickers one-point conversion thread.

Thanks. I need to do something different with my Moe. I think that will work well for me.

fdxpilot
07-31-10, 21:47

I got a 16" middy Lightweight upper with an Omega X 9 rail a couple of weeks ago on the sale. Unless I added wrong, it was only about $15 more than buying separately, and I'll pay that that to get it assembled.

MistWolf
07-31-10, 21:56
You might check this thread for ideas

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599

cop1211
08-01-10, 13:48
Keep what you have, and save for a second rifle.

jsmithy
08-01-10, 15:25
I have been an advocate for lightweight rifles for years. Where there is no loss in performance for a given application using heavier parts and pieces is not logical as there is no benefit.

I now have a Colt 6933 with all MOE furniture and T-1 in DD mount and DD rear, along with an MI FSB light mount so that when the light isn't needed it can be further lightened (no pun intended) that is IMHO the pinnacle of weight reduction:performance for my needs. When I do not have T&E guns that need shot the 6933 gets the most rounds down range and if I reach for a gun to take to a match, class, or practice session it is this 6933 that winds up in the truck with me.

It seems I remember a comment in a thread about a heavy rifle comment a while back where you advised the concerned to work out more. I thought that was a take that not many mention, but good advice. Not implying that applies in the above's situation...thread just made me think of it.

johnson
08-01-10, 18:47
Keep what you have, and save for a second rifle.

That's what it looks like at this point.

rob_s
08-01-10, 20:46
It seems I remember a comment in a thread about a heavy rifle comment a while back where you advised the concerned to work out more. I thought that was a take that not many mention, but good advice. Not implying that applies in the above's situation...thread just made me think of it.

What you actually probably saw was a reaction from me to one person telling another that. I think it's the biggest horseshit argument when it comes to discussions on weight of guns and gear. X guy can carry Y pounds for Z time. Regardless of how strong X is, if you reduce Y you increase Z. It is a no-brainer that the smart move is to reduce Y as much as possible without negatively impacting function.

Eurodriver
08-21-10, 18:01
So do you want to sell this thing or what?

$$$$

topgun84
08-21-10, 23:30
if your in the market defenatly a shorter barrel and smaller optic. IDK what your trying to achieve with the rifle but an ACOG would save on weight and if you dont need the magnification at all the aimpoint T-1 is an awsome optic in my opinion.