PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Handgun Training

platoonDaddy
07-27-10, 09:34
AAR on my 3 day defensive handgun course in West Virginia

Note: being an active member of the Harley forum, I also posted this AAR there. Thought the pros would enjoy the drills. Also our cycle didn't blow out the rear window of the vehicle.

My wife presented me with a 96 hour kitchen pass and off I went with two friends from Bowie|Crofton Maryland heading to the southeastern mountains of West Virginia. There we met my cuz from Ligonier Pa and we set up camp at the local park near Alderson WV.

Just a brief history of my handgun shooting: I would open my range bag, lay the Glock26 down on the shooting bench, insert the magazine, tap and rack with my shooting hand. Then I would switch the G26 from my weak hand to my shooting hand and squeeze off a few rounds. Yep, that is what this oldMan did.

Our quest was three days of Defensive Handgun, dang what a course & eye opener! Speaking of an eye opener, found out that I am cross-dominance (in which the dominant eye is my left side and my right hand is the dominant hand) also failing vision. All too be expected of a oldFart creeping up on 70. Following 1400 rounds downrange, the three day quest was over and we departed with a wealth of knowledge stored in that harddrive we call a brain.

Believe me, Practical Firearms Training (PFT) www.pgpft.com is one great training program in Eastern West Virginia.

IF you are interested I have uploaded to youTube (currently 3 videos, two more on the way) of some of our drills.

1. www.youtube.com
2. in the search box, enter: oldPlatoonDaddy (note: case sensitive)
3. there you will find the videos.

OUT

1911sforever
07-27-10, 09:49
Pat Goodale runs a HELLUVA good program and I'm long over due for a trip out there.