PDA

View Full Version : Do you need Gas Pistons...

KevinB
07-27-06, 09:15
I think not :D

Two days to go May as well have fun.

Who says you need a gas piston...
600+ rds (no cleaning duh) today from my suppressed Mk18/M4A1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/KevMk18.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Kevshooting.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/reload.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/BKRc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/RDemo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/kerfningboom.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Rockyc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/RandB.jpg

I will conceed that after about 400rds it did slow down a tad ;)

second point of admission -- I blew the damn can up at about 580rds :eek:
However it still shot so we fired another few mags (It was then a loud and somewhat less accurate little blaster)

I let some of the EOD guys rip off a few mags - then they wanted to see me let one off one auto - and somewhere near the ned of the mag a baffle weld let go and a bullet went up thru the top of the can (near the end) and then a bunch more blew out fron the front)
Pics to follow

10.5 LMT still runs well though

M4arc
07-27-06, 09:31
KICK ASS!!!

Hey, why do you have an American flag patch on your kit? Why not a Canadian flag?

KevinB
07-27-06, 09:38
Marc, I live in the US and would be a citizen in a heartbeat...

Secondly I work for the US Gov't on this job...

Now for popped can pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Picture001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Picture002.jpg

M4arc
07-27-06, 10:08
Ah, cool.

I certainly didn't mean anything by that question. I appreciated seeing you wear it :)

JLM
07-27-06, 13:05
Kevin,

Welp, it depends upon WHO makes it, COUGH ;) Especially since you won't be able to get a Colt gun, according to certain 'nebulous entities' and IP thiefs.

Seriously thou, according to Mike LaPlante, Colt's guns ARE coming out, regardless
of StealthHiredGun assertions to the contrary. Funny thing: when I asked him, he told me it was Mike that put the Kabosh on the product? Hrmmmm.....

That can........OUCH...hehehe.....

KevinB
07-27-06, 13:17
JLM, I still want a Hk416 *and 417 -- but I still remain unconvinced of the necessity. I may have a 10.5" Hk416 soon...

I may also pick up a POF upper and a complete Colt -- but I wont pick up the "other" one due to ethics.

The can is RSA (South Arfrican) made - unk the actual manufacture -- the vendor is refunding my money.

Between the three of us today we fired more than 700rds each - one FTE (and the two had not cleaned their M4A1's since their 2k ea. range day the day before)

altav
07-27-06, 13:20
Awesome pics.

I'm curious to try the POF 11.5" AR-10 when they release it...

Stay safe.

Cold Zero
07-27-06, 14:09
Kevin,

Welp, it depends upon WHO makes it, COUGH ;) Especially since you won't be able to get a Colt gun, according to certain 'nebulous entities' and IP thiefs.

Seriously thou, according to Mike LaPlante, Colt's guns ARE coming out, regardless
of StealthHiredGun assertions to the contrary. Funny thing: when I asked him, he told me it was Mike that put the Kabosh on the product? Hrmmmm.....

That can........OUCH...hehehe.....

i am not sure i am tracking here and need some clarification. :confused:

is colt coming out with a gas piston upper this fall that will be available to civilians?:eek:

will the gas system be available in a mid length?

KevinB
07-27-06, 14:19
One of the other recent gas piston manufacturers - not Hk,FN,Colt,POF
Was caught being an unethical bugger (at very least)

Midlength is not necessary in a gas piston

Pat_Rogers
07-27-06, 14:26
Kevin- the silence is deafening.........

KevinB
07-27-06, 14:36
Yes it is... (http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=290490)

But I always get a kick out of going to the range with a Colt (albiet mine is a LMT hybrid) and firing a few thousand rounds -- and no one having problems...

I had one FTE - I blame on LC as the casing looked a little suspicious after I "butt to deck" removed it.

Yojimbo
07-27-06, 14:39
Kevin,

Awesome pics, looks like you are having some fun!

As far a gas piston AR's go I'm still on the fence about them and at this time still very satisfied with my direct gas carbines.

I've went to about 3k rounds with only adding more lube and no cleaning. My AR carbines can shoot my basic ammo loadout many time over before reliability is an issue. In otherwords, I'll probably run out of ammo first...

However, the one thing I really like about the gas piston system is how cool they keep the gun.

nickdrak
07-27-06, 15:21
My LMT/MRP ran for its first 2,500rds without cleaning, without a single weapon related malfunction. Just add oil!

Do we "need" piston AR's? No.

Would I like to have a piston system for my MRP? Sure would.

Nitrox
07-27-06, 19:02
I was shone a high round count bolt carrier by one of the "directors" of LW and mysteriously it had a lot of wear on the outside rear portion of the carrier. When I asked why the wear was there I was told not to worry about it. When I asked why they were hiding the carrier tilt I was told I hadn't seen the wear.

PLW has been lying about carrier tilt and the effects of pistons on AR type rifles since day one, this should not be a surprise.

Griz
07-27-06, 19:12
I'm no HSLD type, in fact I've very low speed and high drag, but I shoot a *lot*, even more now that I have an RDIAS.

Because of the volume I shoot and the fact that I have to buy my own ammo, I shoot pretty much the cheapest ammo that money can buy: steel cased Wolf. This is also probably the Filthiest ammo that money can buy.

All of my uppers will go at least 2000 rounds in a session before they stop working and need cleaning. The stoppage is always a build up of red gunk in the firing pin channel (and under the extractor) to the point that the firing pin can no longer hit the primer.

I am fairly certain that this red gunk is the sealant around the primer and did not come through the gas tube, so I fail to see how a gas piston upper would alleviate this problem.

JLM
07-27-06, 22:36
I had it out enough times with PLW to know they were full of shit. The revelation over at Arfcom is certainly no surprise and just makes me laugh. I'm one of the "don't need it guys" so this episode doesn't effect my buying decision. However, I do feel sorry for the 17 year old twits who have wrapped their identity around fantasy spec ops contracts.

By the way, recently I was shone a high round count bolt carrier by one of the "directors" of LW and mysteriously it had a lot of wear on the outside rear portion of the carrier. When I asked why the wear was there I was told not to worry about it. When I asked why they were hiding the carrier tilt I was told I hadn't seen the wear.

PLW has been lying about carrier tilt and the effects of pistons on AR type rifles since day one, this should not be a surprise.

Well now, that's interesting because my understanding was they added the boss on the end of the carrier to address the issue of 'tilt'

SuicideHz
07-27-06, 23:29
Are public stonings technically illegal? I sure hope not...

ETA: I'd like to see this one through to the end...

Nitrox
07-28-06, 08:53
Well now, that's interesting because my understanding was they added the boss on the end of the carrier to address the issue of 'tilt'

The boss is a band-aid for the problem.

K.L. Davis
07-28-06, 10:13
I do so wish that I could tell the full saga of PLW... but out of respect for this site and the desire to keep things focused on target and keenly honed all I can offer is:

Really good pics Kevin. Baffle strikes out of the Mk18 (and such) seem to be more common, I am sure you have seen the guys running larger caliber cans on the short barrels to reduce this?

Personal feeling is that these guns are vitims of bullet buffeting...

JLM
07-28-06, 12:24
but out of respect for this site and the desire to keep things focused on target and keenly honed all I can offer is:

Really good pics Kevin.

Its that damn Adult A.D.D. kickin it isn't it? :p

TigerStripe
07-28-06, 12:30
What about the other piston company?

TS

Steel_Weasel
07-28-06, 12:51
What about the other piston company?

TS

A sordid tale of lies, deception, death and gratuitous sex. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=289790

...ok the sex part is a lie and the death thing hasn't happened yet.

KevinB
07-28-06, 12:53
It was a 7.62 bored can == I think South Africans cant make cans....

It worked fine till a baffle weld failed

Nitrox
07-28-06, 18:17

KevinB
07-28-06, 21:19
Dont worry the LW situation is in hand ;)

Nitrox
07-28-06, 21:25

C4IGrant
07-29-06, 09:37
I have fired several of the LW weapons. I also fired a 10.5 416. The LW system had a lot less felt recoil to me than the 416. I did not get to shoot either weapon for groups so I cannot personally comment on the accuracy of them. The guy that had the 416 made several comments that he was not impressed with the accuracy of the weapon though.

So the question is "Do we need gas piston weapons?" I think the answer is yes, but not for the reasons that manufacturers say. Variety is the spice of life and I like to see as many options available as possible.

One of the claims of why the piston system is better is because that it is cleaner running. As KevinB pointed out, you can run a well maintained AR 500-600 rounds without a problem. Would it be nice to run a weapon 5000-6000 rds with out a hickup? You bet, but not if I have to sacrifice accuracy. I also like my weapons on the lighter side as I tend to hang a bunch of junk off of them. Most of the GP systems I have handled were overly heavy IMHO.

C4

txswat
07-29-06, 10:03
I honestly think it is more a matter of "want" than "need". I have an 11.5 from POF and it runs like a Swiss watch.It shoots great for a shorty and runs well. It is very CLEAN shooting. That is what I liked about it. I bought it because I had 3 other ARs and thought it would be nice to have something different.
IMHO, the felt recoil is different, more straight back. I have found it to be just as accurate as my Colt Commando. I doubt the pistons will ever be a replacement for the regular AR, but may be an option for the guy whowants something different.

twl
07-29-06, 10:05
In addition, it might be pointed out that some of these piston-operated designs(such as the LW mentioned by Grant) simply blow the gas and carbon elsewhere, like under the handguards.
Just because it blows it under the handguards, and you don't see it in the breech, doesn't mean that the dirt and heat isn't going somewhere.
It's going onto the barrel under the handguards, where you might not see it when you look at the bolt/carrier assy., but it is still somewhere, hidden "under the carpet"(er, handguard) in some of these designs.
And heating up the air inside the handguards is not conducive to keeping the barrel cool.

What I always try to point out in many of these conversations is that there are good points and bad points to whatever design decisions a person might make. If the certain "good points" are important enough to you to accept whatever "bad points" are also present, then it is worthwhile for you to go with that design. If not, then it's not worth it.

Both the Stoner "Direct-gas-impingement" gas system and an overhead piston will operate the gun. Both types of gas systems are available to buy. It depends on what you think is going to give you what you want, in the best way possible, at the price you can pay.

There's no "free lunch". You will get some bad with your good, no matter which system you pick, and you need to decide yourself which way to go. Personally I like the Stoner Gas System in the AR15, but I think that for some purposes like LMG use, or really heavy auto firing , there can be a benefit to the piston system on the AR15. And it will also keep some more of the carbon out of the breech too, but require cleaning elsewhere, with more parts complexity involved, and weight, and reciprocating motion above the boreline, harmonic effects on the barrel, more violent carrier operation, carrier tilt, etc. Some designers have done fairly well in mitigating the typical negative effects, and there are some pretty good ones out there. I think they do have their places in the market.

Steel_Weasel
07-29-06, 12:57
Dont worry the LW situation is in hand ;)

Can you clarify "in hand" a bit ?

CapnCrunch
07-29-06, 13:09
I should have a really good read on pistons done sometime before December. Dinger, expect an IM in about 15 min.

JLM
07-29-06, 13:44
The guy that had the 416 made several comments that he was not impressed with the accuracy of the weapon though.

Grant, that's interesting because of heard BOTH, ie that its VERY accurate, and then on the other hand it suffers from vertical stringing.

Hrm....

TigerStripe
07-29-06, 14:19
In addition, it might be pointed out that some of these piston-operated designs(such as the LW mentioned by Grant) simply blow the gas and carbon elsewhere, like under the handguards.Just because it blows it under the handguards, and you don't see it in the breech, doesn't mean that the dirt and heat isn't going somewhere.

One of those companies with such a system is really beginning to piss me off and it's not LW.

TS

twl
07-29-06, 15:02
One of those companies with such a system is really beginning to piss me off and it's not LW.

TS

Is there something that I said that disturbed you?

If so, I assure you that wasn't my intent.

I thought this was a technical discussion, in which these things might be brought up.
Please forgive me if I was in error about that, because I had no idea that technical discussions would elicit anger in anyone.

My apologies if it was me that caused your anger.

I assure you that I have no emotional attachment to the Stoner Gas System, and I recognize its strengths and weaknesses, and feel quite comfortable recognizing them and discussing them too.

The company that I work for has no competing product in the piston system category, and anything that we do plan to make in the future will certainly be subject to many, if not all, of the things that I mentioned above in my previous post. In fact, we'd have to consider all of those factors, and others, in the design, as a matter of course.

TigerStripe
07-29-06, 15:22
Is there something that I said that disturbed you?

If so, I assure you that wasn't my intent.

I thought this was a technical discussion, in which these things might be brought up.
Please forgive me if I was in error about that, because I had no idea that technical discussions would elicit anger in anyone.

My apologies if it was me that caused your anger.

I assure you that I have no emotional attachment to the Stoner Gas System, and I recognize its strengths and weaknesses, and feel quite comfortable recognizing them and discussing them too.

You didn't elicit any anger in/from me. One of the the companies who use a design like the one you described has. If anyone owes an apology, it would be me for having not been clearer in pointing out with whom I am upset. I am awaiting a response from the unnamed company, maybe they can relieve me of my anger, but they haven't so far...

TS

twl
07-29-06, 15:52
Thanks TS.

That makes me feel alot better.
Because I'm trying really hard to be as even-handed as I can in my discussions.
I have no intention of irritating anyone here.
:)

baffle Stack
07-29-06, 16:26
Thanks TS.

That makes me feel alot better.
Because I'm trying really hard to be as even-handed as I can in my discussions.
I have no intention of irritating anyone here.
:)

Do you find yourself haveing to hold back? I find myself posting a lot less on this forum then of ARF. I try to only post when I have somthing important to say.

twl
07-29-06, 17:38
Do you find yourself haveing to hold back? I find myself posting a lot less on this forum then of ARF. I try to only post when I have somthing important to say.

Yes, in some cases, I do find myself holding back, or trying to keep myself "reeled in".

Maybe that's good.

TigerStripe
07-31-06, 02:03
I hate having to hold back. My situation with this unnamed piston company may be improving. I hope so. I like both systems, for whatever that is worth. My piston gun can be as accurate as my DI gun, or rather is as accurate as my DI gun. I'm not as accurate as either are capable of being. My DI gun has been in the shop and hopefully I'll get it later today, or in tomorrow.

TS

meateater
08-08-06, 17:37
kevin, great pics.. glad you're on our side.

back on topic...so does it affect accuracy at all???will it run on all the5.56 ammo?
for a civie couch commando like myself, is it just a "cool" factor or is it really a upgrade to the current platform?

meat

variablebinary
08-09-06, 17:02
I'm curious about pistons but am not overly eager to get one.

I'm more eager for the piston 556, then the piston AR15

Cold
08-09-06, 17:22
Kevin

sweet pics, I especially enjoyed the before and after shots. Feel free to take more for us on this site who are not able to do that sort of thing on a semi regular basis.

Cold
08-09-06, 17:23
Does any of the current makers of piston uppers offer a 6.8 version?

Just curious

GIFFMANN
08-09-06, 18:13
Yes, The company formerly knows as LW makes a 6.8 version. From what Stephen from ATS has said, they have them in stock, on the shelf ready to ship.

Giff

Stephen_H
08-09-06, 18:57
Yes, The company formerly knows as LW makes a 6.8 version. From what Stephen from ATS has said, they have them in stock, on the shelf ready to ship.

Giff

They had a 10.3" 6.8mm SPC instock when I ordered it almost a month ago. It's a really nice gun and performs exactly as advertised. Now that LWRC has gotten their household in order I'm expecting their piston system to be a big hit.

Stephen

PS Here's my review on Lightfighter.net http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/2421007752?m=2421007752&a=tpc&s=7336015661&r=8451032852&f=9046084761&ORIGINAL_REFERRER_URL=http%3A%2F%2Flightfighter.net%2Feve%2Fubb.x%3Fcdra%3DY%26s%3D7336015661

Sean King
08-09-06, 21:41
The truth is (FOR ME) that I don't "need" any AR, much less a GP. I don't do anything more than punch holes in paper and hopefully will never have to shoot at another person.

I have two LW uppers (5.56 and 6.8) in 10.3 and 10.5" bbls. Unfortunately, I can't shoot either yet (waiting on SBR paperwork). I ordered the first before this whole fiasco with PLW came to light and ordered the second after having extensive conversations with Darren as to his role......needless to say, my belief is that PLW has some serious character issues, but LWRC's product is very nice. I also have to say that I believe Darren and Jesse of Grenadier Precision (now of LWRC) to be honest men and they've proven to me that they'll keep their word. I ordered my second upper from them b/c of the quality of the first and the fact that I wanted to support guys I believed in.

I'm also probably a complete fool for being able to forgive PLW should he ever own up to what he's done and apologize (he cost me $915 at one point, but that's another story). Not to sound all preachy (I cuss like a sailor :eek: ), but "He who is free from sin, cast the first stone" is something I *try* to aspire to. ***EDIT*** (Yes, I realize that's trying to try essentially.....I'm not very good at it usually, LOL.)***

I'm also probably a fool for buying the gas piston hype as well as jumping on the 6.8 bandwagon. I guess I'm at least honest about it and "know thyself". ;)

Once the paperwork is finalized, I'll post a range report (if anyone cares).

Take care,

Sean

Cold
08-10-06, 00:00
Sean,

I care, Im curious about the 6.8, not the Gas piston so much but the 6.8 is been getting to me....

As for the whole LWRC issue, well thats old news and it shouldnt cloud the boards anymore.

Hopefully you can get a range report up and running sooner then later right in this thread

KevinB
08-10-06, 01:48
Stephen -- thanks for the link and the review.

Sean King
08-10-06, 07:14
Sean,

I care, Im curious about the 6.8, not the Gas piston so much but the 6.8 is been getting to me....

As for the whole LWRC issue, well thats old news and it shouldnt cloud the boards anymore.

Hopefully you can get a range report up and running sooner then later right in this thread

Thanks Cold. I agree that LW is left to sink or swim now on their own merits.....I just wanted to clarify why I would do business with them again in light of recent goings on there. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed, but then again I did admit to being a fool, so take it FWIW. :)

Sean

twl
08-10-06, 07:57
Yes, LW will sink or swim based on their new merits.

However, what sticks in my craw, is that all the lies, deceptions, and BS, that was spouted all over the internet on many different websites, still stands as it was, just waiting to ensnare new unsuspecting people who believe what they read, and don't know about the "outing" on the "other website".

This information, being left untouched, is still acting to sway people away from other good piston-operating products which have their own merits, and toward LW with PLW's(aka HFG, CmdrColt, 3rdBurst) deceptions under the guise of an "official expert".

I don't think that's good.

And allowing all that "known-BS" to remain in place, fully knowing that it is still out there deceiving people, is not a great start toward "coming clean".

SuicideHz
08-10-06, 08:46
Good point but it doesn't need to be expressed here...

Sean King
08-10-06, 14:31
Yes, LW will sink or swim based on their new merits.

However, what sticks in my craw, is that all the lies, deceptions, and BS, that was spouted all over the internet on many different websites, still stands as it was, just waiting to ensnare new unsuspecting people who believe what they read, and don't know about the "outing" on the "other website".

This information, being left untouched, is still acting to sway people away from other good piston-operating products which have their own merits, and toward LW with PLW's(aka HFG, CmdrColt, 3rdBurst) deceptions under the guise of an "official expert".

I don't think that's good.

And allowing all that "known-BS" to remain in place, fully knowing that it is still out there deceiving people, is not a great start toward "coming clean".

Great point and I was suckered more than most. I don't know this site's policy about discussing the topic though so that's all I should say (I already got locked at Arf.com for this very topic).

Hopefully, enough people will be able to get word to potential buyers that HFG, et all, can't be trusted.....but I have a feeling this is being overly optimistic.

Sean

Sean King
08-12-06, 17:09
After reading Stephen's linked thread, I have a newbie question I posted on Lightfighter and figured I might as well post it here too:

Stephen (or anyone that can answer this newbie question):

You mentioned "bolt bounce" being the reason you needed to change out your friend's buffer to an H buffer.

I also have an LWRC 10.3" 6.8 SPC SRT. I haven't shot it yet b/c I'm also waiting on SBR paperwork for the lower (and the upper is being stored at a friend's house).

I bought a complete lower LMT assembly for this upper. I have no idea what buffer comes with it and was wondering how you know you have bolt bounce (what is it exactly and how do you know it's occuring)?

Also, what buffers are available and what are the differences between them? Do you generally have to replace the spring as well when you change a buffer or just the buffer?

Sorry for the newbie question.....just want to get this thing running right when I finally get my paperwork approved.

Thanks,
Sean

C4IGrant
08-12-06, 18:29
Sean, I think LMT lowers come with an H buffer (don't quote me on that though). You can also get an H2 or an H3. On top of that MGI and Enidine made hydraulic buffers.

At a minimum I would run an H and then try an H2 or a Hydraulic buffer to see what you get.

C4

Sean King
08-12-06, 22:17
Sean, I think LMT lowers come with an H buffer (don't quote me on that though). You can also get an H2 or an H3. On top of that MGI and Enidine made hydraulic buffers.

At a minimum I would run an H and then try an H2 or a Hydraulic buffer to see what you get.

C4

Thanks C4 for the info. on the LMT. Can you explain what bolt bounce is and how I can tell if I'm getting it? Sorry for the newb question.....I'm just not sure if I'd even know what the symptoms were.

TIA,
Sean

C4IGrant
08-13-06, 08:54
Sean,

I am not a piston expert so all I can say is that it is my understanding that a good many piston systems suffer from this problem.

C4

Sean King
08-13-06, 09:17
Okay.....thanks for the reply and your patience with my questions. :)

Sean

Stephen_H
08-14-06, 15:15
I have no idea what buffer comes with it and was wondering how you know you have bolt bounce (what is it exactly and how do you know it's occuring)?

Bolt bounce is exactly that. After firing as the bolt returns to lock-up with the receiver extension it bounces (it's probably, technically, bolt carrier bounce). It doesn't really cause any excessive wear as it is the same as letting the bolt group home when charging the weapon. It may become an issue during full auto fire or very fast semi auto fire as the weapon can cycle faster than the bolt bounce is allowing. You should be able to tell if you have bolt bounce right after you fire a round as you will feel a little bounce as the bolt seats home. It's much harder to explain than to just feel it happening.

There are dozens of different bufers out there. Some of the most standard for a 5.56mm Carbine are;

-standard
-H
-H2
-H3

I can't remember what the weights are off the top of my head, but they typically add about an ounce with each size increase. I run H's or H2's in all four of my carbines and a standard buffer in my mid-length.

HTH

Stephen

Robb Jensen
08-14-06, 21:03
There are dozens of different bufers out there. Some of the most standard for a 5.56mm Carbine are;

-standard
-H
-H2
-H3

I can't remember what the weights are off the top of my head, but they typically add about an ounce with each size increase. I run H's or H2's in all four of my carbines and a standard buffer in my mid-length.

HTH

Stephen

9mm buffer is 5.5 oz.
Rifle buffer is 5.2 oz.
H3 buffer is 5.6 oz.
H2 buffer is 4.6 oz.
H buffer is 3.8 oz.
Standard CAR 2.9 oz.

IIRC the Enidine buffer is roughly the same weight as the H buffer, it's been awhile since I weighed one.

twl
08-14-06, 21:51
Just as a point of clarification, the MGI RRB buffer is a mechanical buffer, utilizing a short plunger and sliding tungsten weights and springs inside, weighing 7.1 ounces.
It is not hydraulic.

Regarding its use with various piston-operated uppers, it has been reported by users to be very effective with the POF system, and also reported even better when using the MGI 2x recoil spring in conjunction with the RRB buffer, in the POF system.

It has been reported by several users that the RRB does not give as effective results in the Leitner-Wise piston uppers, and is not recommended in the LW.

It is designed originally for direct-gas-impingment carbines, and works extremely well in that application. Recent comparison report by a customer stated that the RRB in a direct-impingement Colt carbine had "less kick" than a LW piston upper with an Enidine hydraulic buffer. This was posted by a user on the "other website", in the LW industry forum.

All the buffers have their uses, and it is very much related to the gas port diameter of the individual weapon being used, and the buffer weight should be matched to the power of the gas system in that particular weapon.
Also, it should be noted that carbines especially will have changes(enlargement) in diameter of their gas ports over the lifetime of the barrel, due to port erosion. This can cause the need for buffer changes as barrel life progresses. The RRB has a "self-regulating" nature to the design, and will operate throughout the life of the barrel, and works better and better as it gets driven harder. The typical minimum sized carbine gas port needed to drive the MGI RRB buffer is .072" in most guns, but some guns might work with a slightly smaller port. Any smaller ports will eventually open up by themselves anyway, so the RRB could be then installed at a slightly later time in the barrel's life, if it came drilled with a small port from the factory.

Regarding "bolt bounce", this is eliminated when using the MGI RRB buffer, because the nature of its operation causes a secondary "hit" when the weights hit home right after bolt closure. Any attempt for the bolt to bounce is negated right there by that behavior.

Rate of fire is reduced by approximately 20%-25%, depending on the weapon involved. Muzzle climb is greatly reduced by the very effective cancellation of the slam of the rearward moving masses, by the forward moving internal weight system actuated by the plunger, just prior to bottoming out at the back end of the recoil stroke.

Sean King
08-14-06, 22:15
Thank you Stephen and twl. I was actually looking into the MGI for my LW upper until I read that LW didn't recommend it for their upper.

I've thought about the Enidine, but I'm not sure if I should further complicate the rifle.....although since mine's just for fun, I don't think reliability is too big a factor.

Thanks to both of you for explaning bolt bounce. Once I get my SBR paperwork done and can actually fire my uppers, I'll have to evaluate the issue and change buffers accordingly. I appreciate all your help and explanation.

Sean

TigerStripe
08-14-06, 22:34
If you want to experiment, I'd start with a $25 9mm buffer. If that works try an Enidine or MGI. Not trying to talk you out of either of the others, but if the
9mm doesn't work you're not out around $100. The Enidine works in my POF for what that's worth.

TS

Sean King
08-15-06, 07:34
If you want to experiment, I'd start with a $25 9mm buffer. If that works try an Enidine or MGI. Not trying to talk you out of either of the others, but if the
9mm doesn't work you're not out around $100. The Enidine works in my POF for what that's worth.

TS

Thanks for the suggestion TS. I'll probably go with an H buffer first....supposedly that's what LW recommends (still waiting on confirmation).

If that doesn't work, I'll go from there.

Thanks again,
Sean

Burrwood
08-15-06, 16:13
Do any of you gentlemen have expierience with the TUBB - CWS bolt Carrier Weight System ?
If I recall that system is designed to combat / eliminate bolt bounce , slow the rate of fire and smooth out what little recoil there is . Is it not ?

Sean King
08-15-06, 19:30
I just pulled my buffer from my LMT lower.....it has no "H" marked on it anywhere. Does this mean it's just a standard buffer?

Thanks,
Sean

Todd.K
08-15-06, 19:52
Yes, it should be a standard. It would have a "H" on the front if it was an H buffer.

I would not use a 9mm buffer. The 9mm buffer is just a static weight to hold the bolt closed a bit longer in a blowback 9mm. It does little to nothing to help bolt bounce.

Sean King
08-15-06, 19:55
Thanks Todd. Guess I'll need to pick up an H from somewhere. Any recommendations on where to get an LMT H buffer and what should I expect to pay? **EDIT** Stickman has 'em for $16.

Thanks,
Sean

Oh, on a side note, my CLEO signed off my SBR paperwork today (after 3.5 weeks).....going to pick it up and mail everything off to BATFE tomorrow. :)

Todd.K
08-15-06, 20:40
I'd get the H2.
If you are going to get any DI SBR uppers the H2 will already be in your SBR lower.