PDA

View Full Version : Back injuries...

Magsz
07-27-10, 13:53
Long story short, i woke up about a week ago with searing pain in my lower back on the left hand side. I havent got the foggiest clue as to what i did to myself but i had worked out my lower half the day before. Im fairly certain my form was off on something that i did and i pulled a muscle. The pain was so bad at times i could hardly draw a full breath.

Fast forward a week and im not quite 100% but im feeling better. I still dont want to work out for fear of aggravating whatever it was that i injured.

What can i do exercise wise to keep me from going insane? I havent lifted in a week and have done only light walking and im going stir crazy not being able to exercise.

What is the best course of action when suffering from an injury? Take time completely off in order to recover fully or supplement with different training programs/exercises?

I feel as though that when i dont exercise im pushing back my goals, its a bad feeling.

sadmin
07-27-10, 14:09
Walk or light swim. Avoid ANY strengthening exercises until you can stretch slowly without it hurting. Stretch post warm water shower.

This is coming from a Chiro who was standing by my office.
Hope you feel better.

Cheers

Magsz
07-27-10, 16:08
Sadmin,

Thanks for the advice. I think ill do some swimming while i recover, i live in Florida so i can basically swim 24/7 365 days a year if i so choose.

Anyone know what the average recuperation time is for pulled muscles or is there too much variance due to individuals?

Iraq Ninja
07-27-10, 17:36
Magsz,

Have you seen a real doc yet? When I first read your post, I knew you probably did it lifting. We see quite a few low back injuries since the gym is free and there ain't a whole lot to do on your off time. Blown out shoulders are another common injuries.

Have you ever tried Pilates? It may be safe for you, and a good workout, but see a doc and ask first. A lot of people who think they are fit and strong get their ass kicked in a Pilates workout :)

chavez_e_chavez
07-27-10, 18:04
stretch --stretch -stretch..heating pad....Hope it all works out for ya brutha!!!

500grains
07-27-10, 20:38
What can i do exercise wise to keep me from going insane?.

Swimming! I have a ruptured disk and when it is really bad, I find that back stroke actually stretches me out and relieves the pain.

Elliptical. I find using a Precor elliptical gives me a good workout without causing impact that worsens my back condition.

Weight training with isolation exercises. Perfect form. No complex exercises, no military press, no squats. See what hurts and what does not.

Yoga. Yeah, I know. But Yoga stretches the heck out of you and also helps with static and core strength. Core strength will reduce the pressure on your back and improve your condition.

Finally, instead of waiting around for it to get better, go see a chiropractor 3x / week for 1 or 2 weeks. There is probably a nerve being pinches and a chiropractor can move things around to relieve it.

This is based on my personal back injury experience. Your experience may differ.

Magsz
07-27-10, 21:04
Thanks to all that have responded. Little more info.

Im a small business owner with no health insurance at this time so going to a doctor is out of the question. Ill just have to wait until 2012 or whenever it is for the Obamacare package so i can have everything handed to me.... :rolleyes:

Ive actually heard that pilates is an incredible workout and im looking for a place that is affordable to join up and take some classes. One of my biggest issues is how inflexible i am, its pretty ridiculous, i cant even touch my toes unless i really strain.

A few of my overall exercise goals are to increase core strength and flexibility so Ninja, thanks for the recommendation, i think ill take you up on that suggestion!

Aray
07-27-10, 21:29
A chiro appt can cost as little as $40.00 and is worth every cent IMHO.

Derek_Connor
07-31-10, 13:15
Where exactly is your pain? Is it mid-line to the spine? Away from the spine, more towards the flank? Lower towards the hip or higher up?

Does it radiate at all down to your buttocks or upper thigh?

If seeing a doctor is out of the question, my initial advice to you is constant cold pressure via ice/packs/frozen fruit/veggies. Motrin as needed, if at all. Try not to take any pain meds. High doses of EPA/DHA (Fish Oil) could help with inflammation. Halt any physical activity other than walking for the next 2-3 weeks. No yoga, no swimming, nothing. Just walking. Ensure you get copious amounts of sleep. If things improve down the road, as in a couple of weeks to 1.5 months, then incorporate yoga, swimming, and so on. Your a young dude, do not push yourself into a tighter corner than you have to be.

If you are able to front a little bit of money, I would suggest a quality neuromuscular massage therapist, inform her/him of the situation and proceed cautiously with a couple of sessions.

After these sessions are completed, a possible trip to the Chiropractor *could* help depending on whats going on. If you do decide to go to the chiropractor ensure that you go directly after a massage session. Do not go cold into the chiropractor. As much respect as I have for D.C.'s, if this is a herniated disc, there isn't much they can do for the herniation. Some of the disc space heightening methods can help relieve pain temporarily but the herniation will continue to impinge on that nerve root, *IF* that is what is going on.

Research excercises that help with Thoracic, Lumbar Spine stretching. Also research excercises that are related to hip mobility.

texasrangers
08-02-10, 02:41
take it from someone who thought they had a pulled muscle and it ended up being 2 bulging discs - go see an doctor, and at least have x rays done. the doc should then be able to tell whether or not you are fine or need to go have a ct scan or mri. your spine is your lifeline, dont **** it up.

chavez_e_chavez, its always best to get the blood pumping before stretching. to the OP, swimming is great,if you dont do that i would also: heat, stationary bike warmup, stretch, stationary bike workout, stretch, and either ice or heat at the end, depending on how it feels. good luck.

cbyrd556
08-02-10, 10:44
One word, Biofreeze. After numerous back injuries and muscle pulls and strains, Biofreeze always helps. Your local Chiropractor should carry it. It is a life saver for me as I have 2 bulging discs and that stuff is the only topical that works. It's like taking an ice bath without having to actually do it.

Magsz
08-02-10, 11:36
Derek,

I would say the pain is on the left side of my back about two inches from my spine an inch or two above my left buttcheek.

Im feeling better but im definitely not 100% healed as i still have pain or a dull ache every now and then. I can stretch without pain and im 100% mobile but like i said, im not 100%

I was actually just about to head out to go lift as i was feeling much better but the words of caution in this thread are giving me second thoughts.

Hrmph. If this persists i think im going to take the advice here and scrounge up the dosh to go see a doctor.

rob_s
08-02-10, 11:51
If you want an awesome back doc in Boca let me know. He's going to order xrays though which also aren't going to be cheap. you could try calling him and explaining the situation.

Stretching helped me more than any other thing. That and actually taking it easy. I would stay out of the gym for at least a month. :nono:

cbyrd556
08-02-10, 12:37
If you want an awesome back doc in Boca let me know. He's going to order xrays though which also aren't going to be cheap. you could try calling him and explaining the situation.

Stretching helped me more than any other thing. That and actually taking it easy. I would stay out of the gym for at least a month. :nono:

Rob is right. Stretching and rest are going to be the best thing you can do. Listen to your body, I didn't when I was powerlifting and tore my left Pec. Painful lesson to learn.

Derek_Connor
08-02-10, 14:52
Its always good advice to see a doctor.

Keep in mind that X-rays will not tell much in regards to a disc herniation. They will only show abnormal bone pathology that could be contributing to nerve/thecal sac impingement. Which is unlikelly for this situation.

BUT, having met Magz, and knowing his age, I'd venture a guess that he is not suffering from any type of degenerative spine disease at this point in his life that would make things like bone spurs, spondylosis, spondylisthesis, start to pop up. Very very unlikely.

Going to the doc, will result in a physical exam of course, but the only true diagnostic exams that will give some insight will be CT Scans and/or MRI. There are things that can be picked up in either and also missed as well. All these are very cost prohibitive w/out insurance unfortunately.

Derek,

I would say the pain is on the left side of my back about two inches from my spine an inch or two above my left buttcheek.

Close to you sacrum (tail bone)?

Magsz
08-02-10, 17:15
Yes, a little higher though.

I hate to use this comparison but on a really fit woman that has lower back dimples...that is essentially where my pain is only centered in my fat ass love handle. :)

DacoRoman
08-02-10, 18:07
I'm not your doctor, and this isn't formal medical advice but my opinion is this.

I strongly suggest you go see a doctor. Explain your situation and it is likely you'll get a reduced fee. Even if no imaging (xrays), or advanced imaging (e.g. MRI) are done, the doctor can do a physical exam and at least make sure that you don't have any neurological deficits that may indicate a more serious problem.

If you do get any sort of neurological deficits including numbness, muscle weakness (esp. a floppy foot/foot slap/foot drop/inability to walk on your heels or toes, etc.), or developing urinary retention, constipation, etc. you need to be seen ASAP.

If you develop acute urinary retention/incontinence, or bowel incontinence, +/- intractable severe back or leg pain, you need to go to the E.R. to be assessed, as this may be a very serious developing surgical emergency.

Good Luck.

Von Rheydt
08-02-10, 20:14
Where exactly is your pain? Is it mid-line to the spine? Away from the spine, more towards the flank? Lower towards the hip or higher up?

Does it radiate at all down to your buttocks or upper thigh?

If seeing a doctor is out of the question, my initial advice to you is constant cold pressure via ice/packs/frozen fruit/veggies. Motrin as needed, if at all. Try not to take any pain meds. High doses of EPA/DHA (Fish Oil) could help with inflammation. Halt any physical activity other than walking for the next 2-3 weeks. No yoga, no swimming, nothing. Just walking. Ensure you get copious amounts of sleep. If things improve down the road, as in a couple of weeks to 1.5 months, then incorporate yoga, swimming, and so on. Your a young dude, do not push yourself into a tighter corner than you have to be.

If you are able to front a little bit of money, I would suggest a quality neuromuscular massage therapist, inform her/him of the situation and proceed cautiously with a couple of sessions.

After these sessions are completed, a possible trip to the Chiropractor *could* help depending on whats going on. If you do decide to go to the chiropractor ensure that you go directly after a massage session. Do not go cold into the chiropractor. As much respect as I have for D.C.'s, if this is a herniated disc, there isn't much they can do for the herniation. Some of the disc space heightening methods can help relieve pain temporarily but the herniation will continue to impinge on that nerve root, *IF* that is what is going on.

Research excercises that help with Thoracic, Lumbar Spine stretching. Also research excercises that are related to hip mobility.

He speaks the truth.

So does he:

I'm not your doctor, and this isn't formal medical advice but my opinion is this.

I strongly suggest you go see a doctor. Explain your situation and it is likely you'll get a reduced fee. Even if no imaging (xrays), or advanced imaging (e.g. MRI) are done, the doctor can do a physical exam and at least make sure that you don't have any neurological deficits that may indicate a more serious problem.

If you do get any sort of neurological deficits including numbness, muscle weakness (esp. a floppy foot/foot slap/foot drop/inability to walk on your heels or toes, etc.), or developing urinary retention, constipation, etc. you need to be seen ASAP.

If you develop acute urinary retention/incontinence, or bowel incontinence, +/- intractable severe back or leg pain, you need to go to the E.R. to be assessed, as this may be a very serious developing surgical emergency.

Good Luck.

I have two kaput discs and as I had some medical training I had access to free experts, physically you need to proceed with caution and get an up close and personal opinion.

tb-av
08-02-10, 21:08
Some of the symptoms you mention sound suspiciously like a kidney stone as well.

That spot you mention is right where they can hurt. But like someone mentioned you would probably have at least some urinary symptom as well. Darker, difficulty, that sort of thing. But they can linger and move. They can go from an uncomfortable ache to a serious pain.

When you say long story short, did you have any chills or nausea. Any pulsating pain like someone cranking a light dimmer?

Exercise can break those things loose.

Magsz
08-02-10, 22:53
Negative.

I assumed i had a kidney stone at first too considering my genetic line tends to produce stones like they're going out of style.

Im in the process of dealing with a Gallbladder full of marbles (another nightmare) so i wouldnt put it past my body to be producing kidney stones as well.

Honestly though, im thinking this one was a pulled muscle (or something else) considering i had no urinary issues whatsoever and ive spent the past two weeks watching my urine VERY closely.

scubadds
08-03-10, 08:21
I had similar issues earlier this year. While training for a marathon I went on a nice easy 18 mile run one day, a few days later I went back out and couldn't run 2 miles without knee pain. I had been having soreness deep in my butt area for months but thought it was from biking alot. Turns out all the problems were from a back issue.
Anyway, I went to a good Physical therapist that works within a orthopedic doctors office. No MRI or x-rays, he was able to diagnose based on the symptoms. He said, we are going to start with therapy first, once I realized it was a bulging disc in the L5 area, I now avoid stretches like touching my toes as that pushes the disc into the nerve area.
Point is, it wasn't that expensive. A few hundred bucks to start out and if I recall it was a hundred or so for follow up visits.

I would think as a small business owner you can't afford not to get it checked. If it gets alot worse it may cause you to start missing time at work...

Mjolnir
08-05-10, 23:53
It "sounds" like an issue with your sacral joint. Do you sleep on your stomach by any chance?

Magsz
08-06-10, 06:40
It "sounds" like an issue with your sacral joint. Do you sleep on your stomach by any chance?

Negatory!

There is some good news here. Ive taken it easy for a few weeks now and the pain in my lower back is gone unless i really twist and turn. At drills night the other night i reloaded from my rearmost pouch and twisted a bit more than normal and felt a twinge.

What really sucks about this whole situation is that the pain has migrated to the very center of my back on both sides of my spine. Im starting to think that being overweight for so many years and sitting in front of a computer has caused issues that are going to bite me in the ass for the rest of my life. :/

Im going to get the name of that doctor from Rob_S and see what he has to say.

Anyone have any suggestions for overall back health that i can do on my own such as proper way to sleep, stretches, exercises etc? I have fairly crappy posture and its something ive always wanted to correct. I slouch and my shoulders roll forward and a female friend of mine asked me if i had scoliosis (awesome). lol.

Mjolnir
08-06-10, 10:07
Well, you should try to sleep on your back and/or side - never your stomach as when you turn your head it puts undue stress on your sacral joint as the spine twists with the head.

Sounds like you need to strengthen (and increase the flexibility) of your core.

A great book is Stretch to Win but it's not devoted to back issues.

Magsz
08-06-10, 10:35
Well, you should try to sleep on your back and/or side - never your stomach as when you turn your head it puts undue stress on your sacral joint as the spine twists with the head.

Sounds like you need to strengthen (and increase the flexibility) of your core.

A great book is Stretch to Win but it's not devoted to back issues.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have almost no core strength, its quite sad. Ive spent the past 10 months significantly increasing my strength with a large amount of lean muscle added to my back. My core however is lagging behind due to a bilaterial hernia surgery i had when i was 19 that has never quite healed right. I have alot of discomfort down there and working out that region tends to be painful.

I will check out that book, thank you very much for the suggestion!

cbyrd556
08-06-10, 16:20
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have almost no core strength, its quite sad. Ive spent the past 10 months significantly increasing my strength with a large amount of lean muscle added to my back. My core however is lagging behind due to a bilaterial hernia surgery i had when i was 19 that has never quite healed right. I have alot of discomfort down there and working out that region tends to be painful.

I will check out that book, thank you very much for the suggestion!

Glad to hear you have gained some improvement. I swapped out my chair for a exercise ball at my desk and it has made a world of difference in regards to my back pain. And inadvertently I have lost some pounds and a pant size just from doing that and eating better. I haven't kicked up the exercise really at all.

Tuukka
09-01-10, 06:41
I thought this might be a good place to link this;

http://www.niqama.com/index.php?85

It is a product made locally here and is in use by the Finnish Army, Finnish Air Force Hornet squadrons, Finnish Police, Finnish Borderguard ( also their boat crews )

dookie1481
09-05-10, 19:21
Perhaps Son of Vlad Tepes can shed some more light on this (don't know your specialty) but my understanding is that in many, many cases imaging shows some sort of pathology even in people with no pain, or it shows pathology that is inconsistent with pain (e.g. left side bulge with pain on the right side).

Jay

Derek_Connor
09-27-10, 17:44
Perhaps Son of Vlad Tepes can shed some more light on this (don't know your specialty) but my understanding is that in many, many cases imaging shows some sort of pathology even in people with no pain, or it shows pathology that is inconsistent with pain (e.g. left side bulge with pain on the right side).

Jay

Jay - that is the right path. Imaging studies only show evidence of disease/pathologies/trauma. I've heard multiple neurosurgeons say that they do not treat the MRIs, they treat the symptoms being presented.

Pathologies can mask each other, hell different types of scans (MRI vs CT) can show different pathologies that could have been missed.

And then you start discussing the psychosomatic component of back pain in general, and we can throw ourselves off the deep end in theory.

DacoRoman
09-27-10, 20:31

Jay

Dookie, I'm sorry, I am only now seeing this. My specialty is Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation with fellowships in Sports Medicine and Interventional Spine/Pain medicine. Up to 1/3 of the population may have bulging disks with no neural impingement or associated pain whatsoever. And yes, one never treats the films, it is all about the clinical findings. The imaging should merely confirm the diagnosis.

M4Fundi
09-27-10, 23:19
I broke my L5 vertically in 2 places and they did not discover it after multiple MRI for a year until they did a Bone Scan with (substrate?) and the Neurosurgeon said, "The reason you are getting worse is your back is broken in 2 places...:eek:"

DacoRoman
09-27-10, 23:55
I broke my L5 vertically in 2 places and they did not discover it after multiple MRI for a year until they did a Bone Scan with (substrate?) and the Neurosurgeon said, "The reason you are getting worse is your back is broken in 2 places...:eek:"

sounds like a case of bilateral pars fractures did you have to get it fused or just received rehab/physical therapy?

500grains
09-28-10, 00:11
1. A good chiropractor can work miracles. More than likely a nerve is getting pinched and will get pinched again. And again and again and again. Believe it or not, over 10 sessions or so a good chiro can actually cause the nerve to move where it does not get pinched.

2. But to stay that way you need massive core strength. Read up on how to do it because it is specialized fitness and requires serious effort.

3. Seek non-traumatic forms of exercise. I have a ruptured disc and I can use the elliptical, swim and hike (incl. steep uphill) without difficulty. Back stroke actually helps me quite a bit. But 800 yards of running ****s me up for a full 2 weeks. Believe it or not, I can do squats on some machines with a ruptured disc, but military press is absolutely out of the question. I can carry a 60 pound pack for 10 miles as long as I do not run. A fast walk is fine.

4. Get an electric heating pad and put it under your pain spot on HIGH all night long every night. This really helps me. And in the shower turn the water on scalding hot, have it fry your lower back, and bend over to touch your toes for 3 minutes or so. This stretches things out pretty nicely. The heat loosens the muscles and the bend stretches muscles and ligaments.

5. Take Ibuprofen to reduce swelling and inflammation.

6. No running, no basketball, no other traumatic pounding. Weight lifting is ok as long as you do not feel it in your back. And concentrate on core strengthening (see above).

Long story short, i woke up about a week ago with searing pain in my lower back on the left hand side. I havent got the foggiest clue as to what i did to myself but i had worked out my lower half the day before. Im fairly certain my form was off on something that i did and i pulled a muscle. The pain was so bad at times i could hardly draw a full breath.

Fast forward a week and im not quite 100% but im feeling better. I still dont want to work out for fear of aggravating whatever it was that i injured.

What can i do exercise wise to keep me from going insane? I havent lifted in a week and have done only light walking and im going stir crazy not being able to exercise.

What is the best course of action when suffering from an injury? Take time completely off in order to recover fully or supplement with different training programs/exercises?

I feel as though that when i dont exercise im pushing back my goals, its a bad feeling.

M4Fundi
09-28-10, 00:17
sounds like a case of bilateral pars fractures did you have to get it fused or just received rehab/physical therapy?

ADR Prodisc study saved me.

dookie1481
09-28-10, 16:27
Derek and Vlad, thanks for the responses.

Von Rheydt
09-28-10, 17:35
................. Im starting to think that being overweight for so many years and sitting in front of a computer has caused issues that are going to bite me in the ass for the rest of my life. :/

I suffered when I left the military and went to university, sitting on my arse in front of a computer for days on end to research and produce papers.

I made a conscious effort to stay fit and I can still pound out the miles on my bike or in my trainers.

Anyone have any suggestions for overall back health that i can do on my own such as proper way to sleep, stretches, exercises etc? I have fairly crappy posture and its something ive always wanted to correct. I slouch and my shoulders roll forward and a female friend of mine asked me if i had scoliosis (awesome). lol.

Fitness: Start slowly by walking, cycling or swimming.......or all three.

Posture: Sorry can't help you there it come naturally to me, my wife still says I stand to attention and march rather than walk. You'd have to consciuosly make the effort to take care of that yourself.

Sleep: To be honest I think the mattresses here in the USA are crappy and overpriced. In the UK when my back was diagnosed with its second problem my Doc advised me to get a good mattress. So I looked at who made the Queens mattresses, visited the factory, tried them out and ordered one. Not as expensive as it sounds, around $650 for a single mattress..........handmade by a craftsman to my order. The company is called Hypnos, google them.

When I moved here I ditched my mattress in the UK..........thinking that there would be something comparable here. Wrong! I bought a piece of crap made by one of the 3 S Brand companies and I feel back related pain every morning when I get up.

My solution, I have ordered another couple of Hypnos mattresses from the UK. Even air-freighting them over (they should arrive in 2 weeks) they are going to cost less in total than another piece of 3 S Brand crap.

Honestly, I recomend anyone to google hypnos. They have a showroom in NY where they sell mattresses in the USA for anything from around $7000 to the mid $20,000's ............ hey the Queem sleeps on them. The secret is to buy direct from the UK and get them for hundreds not thousands. Want a hand? Give me a shout.

The other thing to use when sleeping is one of those memory foam pillows. They cost around $90, but they do let your head sink to a level where it is keeping your spine in a nice position.

Oh yes, I have 2 kaput disc's. One Lumbar and the other cervical. I spoke with the UK's leading surgeon for ADR before I came over and he recomended a guy in Texas when I do get around to wanting it done. He did also recomnd to me that ADR is, even after 20 some years, still relatively new and evolving. So it is best to leave it alone until you absolutely desperately need it doing.

M4Fundi
09-28-10, 18:17
There are many good ADR Docs, but the leading and most experienced Doc in US is Dr. Rick Delamarter at St. John's Spine Institute in Santa Monica, CA.

The 2 Docs that pioneered ADR are in Germany. One is German the other is Dutch, but both practice in Germany.

Von Rheydt
09-28-10, 19:52
There are many good ADR Docs, but the leading and most experienced Doc in US is Dr. Rick Delamarter at St. John's Spine Institute in Santa Monica, CA.

The 2 Docs that pioneered ADR are in Germany. One is German the other is Dutch, but both practice in Germany.

The number one guy in the world is Bertagnoli in Germany, he is considered a bit of a pompous poseur, what with driving his Ferrari to the office and all - but he's good. ADR first came out of the Charite Institute in Berlin around 25, 26 or 27 years ago. And the boxheads have been refining it ever since, there are some US manufactured artificial discs that because of FDA regs are not allowed in the USA but are "installed" in Germany.

The guy I saw in London has done 120 ADR's and he told me that as my insurance allowed it to go see Bertagnoli as he has the most experience in the world with well over a 1000 ADR's to his credit. As I was moving to the USA he also recomended a Doc in Texas who sits on a board or two with Bertagnoli.

The guy in London also advised me that if I can live with my situation I should do so for as long as possible before going in for ADR. At the moment I am minded to agree as I am relatively used to the niggling pain I suffer.

Edit: Bertagnoli charges around 20,000 to 25,000 for a single disc, additional discs work out at about 5000 to 8000, compared to what I have been told would cost 100,000 here in the US.

M4Fundi
09-28-10, 20:49
That is all correct to my knowledge. The Link Charite III is not the top disc. It has been very problematic as it gives too much range of motion. It often causes facet issues. If I recall correctly the plates slide both above and "below" the disc which is too much for a biomedical device and your body to work out, so the Prodisc which uses a less traumatic plate attachment method and only has plate motion on the top has proven to give enough range of motion to not increase strain on the natural discs above and below the ADR and still give a limited, but good range of motion to the back.

I'm certain Bertagnoli has far more than 1000 ADRs under his belt, probably 1000s. I wouldn't let someone with only 120 touch me. It is very much about experience and you do not want to be a part of "the learning curve".

For me it saved my life. I was dying. Almost 5 years bedridden waiting for that surgery. 18 months post op I won a state IDPA championship which is nothing to brag about but when 18 months before I could not walk and was pissing all over myself it is a confidence builder. I was also back ice climbing, fly fishing, horseback riding, etc. I have other issues from the broken back and 5 years immobile, but I think the disc is brilliant and I have NO PAIN! The longer you wait the more permanent nerve damage you will have also. I can tell you first hand that surgeries and even minor procedures come with very real risks, but back pain is simply the worst pain in the world !

I would not have survived all that without a TEMPURPEDIC BED! Best $ I ever spent in my entire life until the ADR surgery.

My 2 Pesos worth

Von Rheydt
09-29-10, 09:37
I noticed a lower right leg pain radiating into the foot about 6 years ago. I had just picked up running again after a 12 month recovery from a knee injury.......and of course I had put on some pounds.

My Family Doc gave me an indication what was wrong and surmised that it had probably happened years previously when I was young, stupid and running with rucksacks in the military. However, as I was lean and fit it did not show itself until I put on some extra weight.

I visited a "Specialist Orthopod" and he basically said "Hmmm" a lot and advised rest, warm baths and aspro if the pain got to me. My diagnosis of him was that he was a wanker and wasting valuable oxygen that someone more useful could be using.

I always approach medical issues with the "What if I was the King of England or the President of the USA" mentality. If it was one of them there would be a treatment and I want that treatment.

I researched, found that the US did not, at that time, allow the procedure other than as a trial. The I discovered it all came from Germany, joy and happiness, I speak German fluently so google.de became my friend.

Bertagnoli has, as stated, has indeed performed well over 1000 operations.....closer to 2000 with many of those being multi level disc replacements. He is commercially involved with the Prodisc so has an interest in fitting them but, he will fit any disc you request. I have spoken with their clinic and am happy with them and will one day go along to get the job done. I enjoy falling out of airplanes and, whilst some ADR patients have done this post-op, I do not consider the risk to be worthwhile. I have a couple of personal goals to achieve with skydiving so I will be waiting until then.

As Mr M4Fundi has stated the op changed his life. I have seen this with many other people too. Check out youtube there are more than a few vids of people pre and post-op demostrating their delight at being pain free and mobile. I remember seeing one lady who could not even touch her 1st finger to her thumb before the operation and other people who like Mr M4Fundi who could not walk.

I am fortunate my insurance covers it, at the moment. Someone said to me "$20K - $25K, for the op thats expensive". I have met guys in their mid 30's who would have been in a chair not working for 30+ years if they did not have the op. What price do you put on walking with your wife and kids and being able to work.

Point of interest: I have a close connection to Germany and found out this is considered a standard operation over there. Should you go to your Doc with severe and continual back pain and a disc problem is diagnosed most health insurance companies will immediately allow an ADR (disc replacement) no quibble, no fuss. It works out cheaper for the insurer to get you fixed than to constantly have you going to the Doc, the physio, chiropracter.......so they fix the problem not the sympton.

M4Fundi, I don't like soft mattresses like tempurpedic. I prefer harder ones like my particular Hypnos. I do like the tempur pillow though. Bed Bath and Beyond sell them down here in Fl, around $90. If anyone is considering a memory foam pillow or mattress DO NOT BUY SOMETHING THAT SAYS MEMORY FOAM ON IT. ONLY BUY IT IF IT SAYS TEMPURPEDIC..........thats what NASA astronuts sit on.

My 2 British Pennies worth.

M4Fundi
09-29-10, 11:08
To learn all this I had to hire a Medical Consultant ($$$) who became a Medical Consultant after going thru the same thing and having ADR and then deciding to sell his knowledge on the issue,(he does know the inside on everything ADR & is very good friends with Bertagnoli), etc. point is he is an obsessed avid skydiver and he has discs in back and neck and still jumps.

I asked my Doc if I could ride bulls again and he said he would never advise anyone to ride a bull, but that the ADR is capable of handling anything, but cautioned for me to stop running extreme long distance stuff and to keep at 10 miles or less, otherwise he said go for it.
I do not worry about the ADR failing at all... I do worry about another one of "my" discs failing from past injuries and so as much as I wanted to ride at the Mile City Bucking Horse Sale... I decided rough stock is a thing of the past for me:( and I'll stick to roping and climbing rock & ice:)

dookie1481
09-30-10, 14:03
WRT postural issues, google "lordosis gluteal amnesia". There is a lot of info out there. Essentially, prolonged sitting causes tightening of the psoas (hip flexors) , which tends to put the pelvis into anterior tilt, thus stretching and weakening the glutes. When the glutes don't fire properly, the spinal erectors are forced to pick up a lot of the slack with a lot of everyday movements (picking things up off of the ground, etc.), which can cause back pain.

It's kind of the "malfunction du jour" right now in a lot of athletic training circles but there is a lot of evidence that suggests it is a problem with a large segment of the population. Vlad please chime in if I'm wrong about anything here.

Jay

Mjolnir
10-09-10, 13:59
WRT postural issues, google "lordosis gluteal amnesia". There is a lot of info out there. Essentially, prolonged sitting causes tightening of the psoas (hip flexors) , which tends to put the pelvis into anterior tilt, thus stretching and weakening the glutes. When the glutes don't fire properly, the spinal erectors are forced to pick up a lot of the slack with a lot of everyday movements (picking things up off of the ground, etc.), which can cause back pain.

It's kind of the "malfunction du jour" right now in a lot of athletic training circles but there is a lot of evidence that suggests it is a problem with a large segment of the population. Vlad please chime in if I'm wrong about anything here.

Jay
Jay, that's my diagnosis of myself. I've been correcting the issue (and it's been a blast - plyometrics, weights, stretches: all the shit I lived for in HS and college). My left psoas is very tight as was my left piriformis. Things are getting better but the psoas affects my entire left leg.

No doctor has diagnosed me and I don't usually go to them for things such as this until my own "work" is ineffectual. Soon I'll request an MRI on the left hip joint to insure nothing is amiss there (like some had suggested). The book STRETCH TO WIN is invaluable and is where I've got my stretching routine from.

GR8 Post though I don't know how many realize it.