PDA

View Full Version : How many mags is enough?

Rated21R
07-27-10, 21:49
How many PMAGs is enough? Or USGI or whatever your flavor is. 10, 15, more? Just curious how many folks have.

WEC
07-27-10, 21:59
I have 48 mags of all types, and I find that each of them has their purpose. Pmags (20 and 30 rounders), USGI (20 and 30 rounders), HK mags, and even a few old pre-ban Thermolds that I got back in 1998 or so. There are some I use more than others but I try to have enough that I can cycle through them frequently. I always have them topped off with ammo in case the zombies come knocking.

Benjamin_Martin
07-27-10, 22:13
Combat load is 7 mags M16, 4 mags of secondary.

7 per rifle isn't a bad rule of thumb.

Pick up a load carry vest and some pouches, hang it in a closet for when TSHTF ;-)

500grains
07-27-10, 22:15
11 mags per handgun and the same per rifle. 1 in and 10 extra. Even if you do not plan to carry 10, sometimes mags break or get lost.

KTR03
07-27-10, 22:28
I got caught in the squeeze of "assault weapon" bans in CA. SInce then, I buy a life time supply of magazines. I have about 100 GI AR mags, God knows how many AK mags (over 100), 30 FAL mags, and 45 Aug mags. 20 full cap mags for each pistol type.

deadduck357
07-27-10, 22:29
I honestly don't even know how many I have, stopped counting years ago.

Iraqgunz
07-27-10, 22:30
I have approx. 15 mags for each handgun and roughly 100 mags. for the AR's. That's extreme, but I am an extremist.

ucrt
07-27-10, 22:33
I buy mags in case shtf or "executive order" is exercised. I think things could go bad "forever" and "forever" is a long time. So, how many mags to last you "forever"?

For my rifles, which I think I might shoot more than a handgun, I don't think 50-60 is out of line, of which 10 stay loaded.

For my handguns, which seem to last longer, I think 10 for each handgun is reasonable with 4 staying loaded.

Then, I have 6-8 spare springs and spare followers for each mag type.

I think mags will be a desirable barter item, like ammo. Heck, mags were a pretty good barter item the first 6-months after the election.

If nothing ever happens, (which I really hope is the case), I'll just die "mag poor" oh well...

What's the saying, "It is better to have it and not need it; than to need it and not have it!"

whiskey6
07-27-10, 22:42
You can never have enough

markm
07-27-10, 22:55
Oh Lord.

variablebinary
07-27-10, 23:03
How many PMAGs is enough? Or USGI or whatever your flavor is. 10, 15, more? Just curious how many folks have.

It's a personal thing.

I tend to pick up one or two mags whenever I see a good deal.

mwt1980
07-27-10, 23:04
4 is all you need
2 on the gun w/ redi mag
2 in the kydex

3 pistol mags

Less is more or am I nuts? Haha

rdc0000
07-27-10, 23:10
Check your PMs please.

Steve S.
07-27-10, 23:30
Combat load is 7 mags M16, 4 mags of secondary.

7 per rifle isn't a bad rule of thumb.

Pick up a load carry vest and some pouches, hang it in a closet for when TSHTF ;-)

Exactly.
Sidenote: Anyone running a Beretta 92/96 here? Got some issues with some mags I picked up. PM me or I'll check back here. I'll post the full story in the proper spot.

Surf
07-28-10, 01:05

but

Nunya

SWATcop556
07-28-10, 03:35
I have about 100+ Pmags boxed up in the man cave. I try to keep around 20-30 hicap pistol mags for my two platforms that get carried (M&P and Glock). I also have 10 CMC 8 round 1911 mags just because, even though both 1911's have been moved from duty use to retirement gun safe guards/range toys.

justin_247
07-28-10, 03:40
I have 12 magazines per AR, since I'm concerned about them wearing out if another AWB comes into play someday.

Sidenote: Anyone running a Beretta 92/96 here? Got some issues with some mags I picked up. PM me or I'll check back here. I'll post the full story in the proper spot.

I use Mec-Gar mags. I've found that they're as reliable as the mags that came with the weapon. This is an issue best dealt with in the Handgun portion of the forum.

arizonaranchman
07-28-10, 05:14
ClarityI buy mags in case shtf or "executive order" is exercised. I think things could go bad "forever" and "forever" is a long time. So, how many mags to last you "forever"?

For my rifles, which I think I might shoot more than a handgun, I don't think 50-60 is out of line, of which 10 stay loaded.

For my handguns, which seem to last longer, I think 10 for each handgun is reasonable with 4 staying loaded.

I think mags will be a desirable barter item, like ammo. Heck, mags were a pretty good barter item the first 6-months after the election.

If nothing ever happens, (which I really hope is the case), I'll just die "mag poor" oh well...

What's the saying, "It is better to have it and not need it; than to need it and not have it!"

I'm the same way. I think you should plan for potential bans on these things - sale, manufacture or whatever. So STOCKPILE them if you can afford it. I assume there may come such a day and am planning accordingly. A lifetime supply is what I'd try and assemble... 50 or so is what I'd consider a minimum. Spare followers and springs also so you can service them if worn out.

rychencop
07-28-10, 05:47
at least two combat loads of rifle mags. 14 mags. at least 6 handgun mags. this is really a trick question since you'll get 100 different combination's as answers.

Army Chief
07-28-10, 06:08
Perhaps this is less a question of operational need, and (funds permitting) more a question of what makes good economic sense. Given that we can, and probably should, expect another feeding device restriction at some point, not only will new magazines become impossible to purchase, but they will invariably rise in value due to real or perceived scarcity -- especially over time. Having a sufficient supply to meet the needs of you and your progeny, while still being able to sell off a few here and there as necessary/desired makes good economic sense.

What that equates to in numerical terms is a highly individual decision. All we know for certain is that high capacity magazines will continue to be targeted legislatively, and following any ban, the feeding frenzy from unprepared panic buyers will make it a lucrative time for those who had just a bit of foresight prior to the event. Had I been able to scrape together enough coin to invest in several nice $1,500 Colt M-16A1s prior to May 1986, I would now be seeing a tenfold-plus return on investment. Just think about that for a moment: there is a lesson here, for those who care to take notice of it.

To twist a phrase from John D. Rockefeller, "how many is enough? Just one more ..."

AC

Rated21R
07-28-10, 07:21
Thanks for all the great replies. I am like most, when I see good deals I pick up 3 or 4 and keep adding them to the mix, either that or when I turn the light off they breed in there. :D

seb5
07-28-10, 07:23
I think we all become very subjective when asked this question and I doubt any serious enthusiast of the AR series hasn't pondered this question one or more times.

Subjectively for me only I like 12 mags per rifle and 7 per pistol. As a cop I carry 3 pistol mags, so I have an complete extra set plus one floating around the car somewhere, for each of several pistols! For me 22's don't count, 3 or 4 seems to work. I generally use no more than 6 AR mags at a time whether in a class or training at the range so 12 again gives me double what I "need". And then you throw in all the extras put up and it gets kind of crazy.

I'm not sure each individual can really be subjective about their own needs as far as mags, only wants. How often do you shoot? They do wear out but not as often as some seem to think. Does your spouse or children have a rifle that you feed? To try to be realistic isn't much fun but if I were buying one time and hoping they would last as long as I lasted (I'm 46) I would say 24 mags would last me based on my amount of shooting and type of shooting I do. That's replacing as needed and still having enough for the impending zombie attack. ;)

Spiffums
07-28-10, 09:55
I buy mags in case shtf or "executive order" is exercised. I think things could go bad "forever" and "forever" is a long time. So, how many mags to last you "forever"?

They would probably outlaw possession of mags no matter when they were made if they do another ban.

ForTehNguyen
07-28-10, 10:01
I try to shoot for 6-7 mags per AR. I believe the typical loadout is 6+1 mags?

Julian
07-28-10, 10:09
I'd guess 50 or so AR mags, enough that I can give one to a friend that's mag short now and then. 30 cal mags, 10 per rifle, pistol mags 6 to 10 per gun.
If I'm deeper than that in crap I hope I have friends on the way.

Failure2Stop
07-28-10, 10:22
Careful scientific study of long term storage and actual firefights indicates that the correct answer is 42.
If you disagree, you are simply asking the wrong question.
;)

Steve S.
07-28-10, 10:35
Careful scientific study of long term storage and actual firefights indicates that the correct answer is 42.
If you disagree, you are simply asking the wrong question.
;)

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. What's throwing me off is its 6 combat loads (not counting the loaded mag *edit* and load on vest), so if you are serious, I'm curious to learn more about it....

If not, jokes on me...

TriumphRat675
07-28-10, 10:40
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. What's throwing me off is its 6 combat loads (not counting the loaded mag), so if you are serious, I'm curious to learn more about it....

If not, jokes on me...

FTS is right, 42 is the answer. In fact, it is the answer to most questions about life, the universe, and everything.

Steve S.
07-28-10, 10:59
FTS is right, 42 is the answer. In fact, it is the answer to most questions about life, the universe, and everything.

The way you worded it clicked. Brain fart. Jokes on me...