PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on this?

John_Wayne777
06-18-07, 19:02
Anyone care to comment on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t0gD8yBBbg&mode=user&search=

Be sure to watch the "other videos by this user" as well....

Adam
06-18-07, 19:34
I don't think I would enjoy being the camera man, he got muzzle swept at least 5 times in that 2 minute video.

John_Wayne777
06-18-07, 19:39
I don't think I would enjoy being the camera man, he got muzzle swept at least 5 times in that 2 minute video.

That was my first thought.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of the higher speed types about the rolls....

FJB
06-18-07, 19:40
The term "A$$clowns" mean anything. "Tactical sommersaults" is definitely "unique" but sure can't remember when I could have used that technique after two trips to the "kitty litter" box, but I guess you look "cool" while muzzling your buddies.

S/F

Rana
06-18-07, 19:54
Probably the same clowns who play "Rainbow Six," have a stock pile of 7.5" barreled AR15's, and post on the array of armchair commando sites throughout cyberspace.

Unfortunately these people are literally "EVERYWHERE!"

RD62
06-18-07, 20:29
"They only roll in John Woo movies..." - Samuel L Jackson, SWAT (movie)

NCPatrolAR
06-18-07, 20:36
The rolls remind me of some Systema-influenced executive protection material I trained in several years ago.

There is a review of an actual class this guy taught over at ARFCOM.

Hawkeye
06-18-07, 22:21
Not really sure what to say. :confused:

Patrick Aherne
06-18-07, 22:51
My four year old son just watched the AR and pistol segment with the guy searching through his sights, sigh. Aidan said, "Why's he roll over?" I wanted to say, it's because he's an assclown, but you can't say that to a four year old. I said he was goofy, instead. Aidan agreed. It's pretty bad when a four year old thinks your stream is weak.

subzero
06-19-07, 00:53

That...may...be some...interesting reading. Would you perhaps have a link?

ETA: I watched a few more clips...and I kinda wish I could hear LAVs reaction after watching some of this stuff. I'm just a low speed dingus, but some of that stuff has got soup sandwich written all over it.

VA_Dinger
06-19-07, 11:07
"They only roll in John Woo movies..." - Samuel L Jackson, SWAT (movie)

Damn funny.

:D

rob_s
06-19-07, 11:29

I'd love to see a review myself.

These guys actually "teach" in my area and in some of the videos I recognize the range they are using. Maybe I should take a class and do my own review.:D

FlyAndFight
06-19-07, 11:58
Those rolls were hilarious. Looked like he was break-dancing. :D

UVvis
06-19-07, 12:29
Rolling on a fall is better than falling flat and getting knocked into the land of concussion.

So maybe he is practicing his horse getting shot out from under him, doing a roll, and coming up fighting?

Or maybe his friends didn't like him and pushed him out of land rovers all the time in bad neighborhoods?

NCPatrolAR
06-19-07, 13:01
Someone with better search-fu might be able to locate the threads but I recognized the field as soon as the video started.

rob_s
06-19-07, 13:16
Dear god, you have to read the thread on this in the Florida Hometown forum on barfcom.

Nathan_Bell
06-19-07, 13:59
Dear god, you have to read the thread on this in the Florida Hometown forum on barfcom.

I cannot even craft a response to that thread.

Steve
06-19-07, 14:15
ok i cant find it................ pm me linky thing

Nathan_Bell
06-19-07, 14:43
ok i cant find it................ pm me linky thing

I will PM it to you, but you may not hold me liable for any screen, keyboard, or brain damage incurred while reading the thread.

Steve
06-19-07, 17:14
my head hurts

Nathan_Bell
06-19-07, 17:25
my head hurts

I warned you.

VA_Dinger
06-19-07, 17:26
Would somebody post the link?

:cool:

rob_s
06-19-07, 17:49
Would somebody post the link?

:cool:

I didn't know it was allowed.

The dogpile is humorous to say the least. Read all three pages

Take out the space

[url]http://ar15. com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=10&t=272252

John_Wayne777
06-19-07, 19:09
Good lord.....

John_Wayne777
06-19-07, 19:13
Not really sure what to say. :confused:

Me neither.

I am by no means the most highly trained guy on the planet, but I have trained with some very serious people who spent considerable amounts of time doing very serious things....

And I have yet to see any of them break into rolls.

I'm leaving open the possibility that there is some justification for that sort of stuff that outweighs the muzzle sweeping going on. If someone knows of such a justification I will gladly listen.

subzero
06-19-07, 23:24
The dogpile is humorous to say the least. Read all three pages

That wasn't funny.

It was painful.

johnson601
06-20-07, 10:54
Uhhhh, nothing to say..........

VA_Dinger
06-20-07, 11:09
Can any of you picture taking a class from Larry & dave and in the middle of a drill you do a "John Woo" flip?

You would probably end up with the short bus window super glued to your tongue.

John_Wayne777
06-20-07, 11:12
Can any of you picture taking a class from Larry & dave and in the middle of a drill you do a "John Woo" flip?

I'm tempted to try one in the upcoming low light class in September.

...only I'll keep my weapon holstered the entire time.

I'll just wait until we are about to clear the shoothouse with handguns and with a holstered weapon I'll holler "LEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOYY, JEEEEEEEEEEEENKINS!!!" and do a super duper tactical roll into the first room.....

VA_Dinger
06-20-07, 11:14
I'm tempted to try one in the upcoming low light class in September.

...only I'll keep my weapon holstered the entire time.

I'll just wait until we are about to clear the shoothouse with handguns and with a holstered weapon I'll holler "LEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOYY, JEEEEEEEEEEEENKINS!!!" and do a super duper tactical roll into the first room.....

I'm sure that would go over well.

u-baddog
06-20-07, 12:01
Not high speed or even trained low speed but I did stay on base a few nights. ;)

In unarmed hand to hand if you get knocked backwards I was taught to roll out of it rather than land flat on my back or whack my head. I guess the next step could be roll out and draw/shoot.

He has some sort of british Para training. The brits are much less concerned about sweeps.

RD62
06-20-07, 16:05
Damn funny.

Thanks. Some Colin Ferrel, LL Cool J stuff was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that.

The rest of his ground work looked very similar to what my Dept teaches for "ground fighting" if you get knocked to the deck. They too teach a proper way to "roll" to the deck to avoid possible injury from items on the duty belt if they stick ya in the spine or kidney.

However their technique didn't actually involve a somersault, but more of a focus of making sure you go down calf, thigh, butt, and back trying to "roll" the body down and minimize impact.

Getting up sure didn't involve any flips either, but a focus on one handed weapon manipulation and firing as you move from on your back, to sitting, to kneeling, to standing, to getting the hell out of Dodge.

I'll check out the other thread mentioned. But for now I stand by my original observation.

-RD62

Edited to add: I can't find the thread mentioned above.

One Shot
06-26-07, 07:31
That clip is a prime example of how you respond to things is based upon the way that you train. It is not unusual for various military people from Europe and some places in Asia to actually be taught and trained to shoot/fight from rolling postions. The French Foreign Legion teaches their soldiers to fight/punch/kick from various "down positions" and to fight their way back up to a standing form. The idea of the roll is to move you slightly so that you are not stationary too long so as you do not become a fixed target. What the foreign instructors do NOT acknowledge is that you can take a fatal bullet WHILE you are doing the tumbling act. Heck, I can shoot a guy tumbling around on the ground just as quick as I can shoot one standing still. Over here, we are known to practice shooting at moving targets so a foreign shooter doing his tumbling act is at the disadvantage because of the way we practice our shooting techniques. Most foreign troops practice shooting at FIXED targets while they move around so they expect their targets to remain non-moving while they move about. We practice some movement shooting (like side-stepping, moving to and from baricades, etc.) some of us also practice shooting at targets that move left to right, vice versa, towards us, away from us and so on. We develop speed naturally and over time. Other groups don't. They develop speed based upon stress conditions. In the 1970s and 80s the Russian Army commanders were allowed a 15% attrition rate or loss rate of material items AND personnel during training. Such a loss rate would NEVER be tolerated within our military forces at all. Rolling around like that puts observers and the guy doing the rolling around in serious danger of being shot by accident. I like OUR way of training and safely shooting.:p