PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Training ammo arrived

Pappabear
07-27-10, 22:00
Some of you guys recommended ammotogo and the Hornady Training .223. 500 arrived today and it looks great. It seems a notch above the Silver bear etc. And I paid shipped to my door $153. Decent price and I expect decent ammo. Thanks for the tip. I expect it will run a-ok.

GermanSynergy
07-28-10, 12:29
Some of you guys recommended ammotogo and the Hornady Training .223. 500 arrived today and it looks great. It seems a notch above the Silver bear etc. And I paid shipped to my door $153. Decent price and I expect decent ammo. Thanks for the tip. I expect it will run a-ok.

Good stuff. :)

markm
07-28-10, 19:32
A little piece of America dies everytime and AR is fired with Steel cased ammo. :(

GermanSynergy
07-28-10, 22:11
When brass cased 5.56mm ammo comes to to $269 per 1000 I'll be glad to shoot alot more of it. Till then, the Hornady 55 grain training ammo is what I shoot alot of.....:)

infidelprodigy
07-29-10, 01:36
I can't remember, is the Hornady stuff laquer coated for does it have polymer coating on the case?

Sorry just brain farting at this late hour......Also found an old receipt from 2006 for 500rds. for AE223 American Eagle-$99:(

Good 'ol days........

GermanSynergy
07-29-10, 11:02
I can't remember, is the Hornady stuff laquer coated for does it have polymer coating on the case?

Sorry just brain farting at this late hour......Also found an old receipt from 2006 for 500rds. for AE223 American Eagle-$99:(

Good 'ol days........

Green laquer. Just ordered 1000 rds of the Hornady 55 grain training ammo :)

infidelprodigy
07-29-10, 13:05
Thanks. Not totally sold on laquered steel cases going through an AR, but you can't ignore the price that's for sure......

sadmin
07-29-10, 14:24
Fiocchi .223 AFM 55gr FMJ BT - 1000 - 279.00
Coupon for free shipping - AUGSHIP

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/FI223AFM_case.aspx

almost made that 270.00 mark ;)

GermanSynergy
07-29-10, 14:34
Sadmin,
Thanks very much for the info. Just bought some. :neo:

Fiocchi .223 AFM 55gr FMJ BT - 1000 - 279.00
Coupon for free shipping - AUGSHIP

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/FI223AFM_case.aspx

almost made that 270.00 mark ;)

GermanSynergy
07-29-10, 14:36
Thanks. Not totally sold on laquered steel cases going through an AR, but you can't ignore the price that's for sure......

I haven't experienced any problems (aside from a few hard primers) in my KAC SR15 E3 or my MSTN/Noveske N-4 builds associated with this ammo. It is made by Hornady & I trust em. :cool:

Entropy
07-29-10, 20:58
The Hornady training ammo is probably the best overall steel cased ammo on the market. They use cleaner powder than Wolf or other steel cased stuff, so there is less carbon build-up in the chamber and thus, less cleaning needed to keep the AR-15 running well. There are a lot of guys who have run 1000-2000rd carbine courses shooting nothing but this stuff out of their ARs with zero problems.

markm
07-29-10, 21:05
I think I got one of the weaker batches. I only bought a fifty round box, but it's significantly weaker than commercial .223 ammo I've tested. There is a guy here who said Hornady did have a weak lot or two.

I also had a malf in my 14.5 carbine gas upper. It has a fresh action spring and is otherwise reliable.

CarlosDJackal
07-30-10, 08:25
I've run about 200-rounds of the Hornady 55G practice ammo through my LWRC 10.5" M6A1 without a single issue.

My CMMG 14.5" mid-length DI gun failed to lock on the last round every time but without any other malfunctions.

Pappabear
07-31-10, 01:56
I went shooting tonight and ran a couple boxes through my colt 6940 and Noveske Middy. It ran fine. I shot two other steel case ammo selections. That Herters and some white box russian shit that Cabelas had on sale for $4.00 a box. I shot several boxes of each and they all did fine. The Hornandy ran the cleanest and would be my preference. One of the boxes of ammo I shot smelled like shit. Shit in - Shit out!

For the money, Hornady gets a big thumbs up!

pb

johnson
07-31-10, 03:06
Did Ammunition To Go stop selling 1,000rd cases? I buy mine locally for $17 a box after tax which isnt too bad if you just want to pop off a few rounds on the weekend. Next cheapest is Walmart with their Federal bulk packs for $40 plus tax.

kmrtnsn
07-31-10, 10:17
A2G is just out right now.

GermanSynergy
08-01-10, 12:58
Did Ammunition To Go stop selling 1,000rd cases? I buy mine locally for $17 a box after tax which isnt too bad if you just want to pop off a few rounds on the weekend. Next cheapest is Walmart with their Federal bulk packs for $40 plus tax.

The Hornady 55 grain practice ammo is packaged in 500 rd cases.

Pal
09-14-10, 03:18
Went through approx. 1700 to1800 rounds of this TAP ammo last week. I had one failure to fire. Another shooter also had the same problem with 1 out of 1700/1800 rounds fired.

rob_s
09-14-10, 05:51
anybody chronographed this stuff next to comparable Wolf, Bear, and brass-cased ammo?

Rated21R
09-14-10, 07:02
This was the primary ammo that I ran last week in the Magpul Dynamics class that I took. I didn't have any issue of note. I will continue to purchase it. It meets my needs for sure. Good stuff.

Erratikmind
09-14-10, 07:29
I recieved 500 rounds of the Hornady training ammo, yesterday.

I just started to shoot steel cased ammo. I recently tried some Silver Bear 62 gr. HP ammo. When I finish the case it will be the last time I use this stuff. It created quite a mess inside my BCM bolt. The red primer adhesive is messy stuff. The SB was far from accurate, as compared to the PMC 55 gr. FMJ, which I use for plinking.

Compared to the PMC, is the Hornady as accurate? Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to run some Hornady this coming weekend. I have my grandson visiting this weekend.

rob_s
09-14-10, 07:33
I'm looking at picking up a wide sampling of 55 grain ammo types to look at accuracy, velocity, and recoil impulse. Maybe flash as well. I think I want to find out the answers to some of these questions for myself. :D

C4IGrant
09-14-10, 08:29
Compared to the PMC, is the Hornady as accurate? Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to run some Hornady this coming weekend. I have my grandson visiting this weekend.

More accurate.

C4

Erratikmind
09-14-10, 08:46
More accurate.

C4

Thank you, Grant!

MODiesel
09-15-10, 11:04
It created quite a mess inside my BCM bolt. The red primer adhesive is messy stuff.
I shoot a fair amount of the same stuff, as it's cheap & shooting is fun no matter the ammo. :lol: And there's no doubt the primer sealant tends to coagulate in the firing pin channel in the bolt. But I've never had it cause a problem, and it cleans up easy enough for me with a small nylon brush and some CLP.

The SB was far from accurate
This is one thing I would disagree with. I haven't bench-rested any of the stuff, but I've found it to be pretty darn accurate when just firing freehand. We often shoot old farm junk I've got laying around. The other week I was easily popping holes through a 1in fiberglass drive shaft at 50yds with a standing hold. We also shoot full soda cans (~2.5in target) at 100yds, and that's generally not a problem either. I seriously doubt I could hit groundhogs at 400yds with any kind of consistent accuracy, but I have no doubt I could nail a coyote at 300yds with it. Obviously, YMMV....

Iraqgunz
09-15-10, 18:06
Define accurate? I have been using it the last few sessions we have been out w/o problems. I was punching steel at approx. 293 yards with an 11.5" barrel using an ACOG and a suppressor. YMMV.

I recieved 500 rounds of the Hornady training ammo, yesterday.

I just started to shoot steel cased ammo. I recently tried some Silver Bear 62 gr. HP ammo. When I finish the case it will be the last time I use this stuff. It created quite a mess inside my BCM bolt. The red primer adhesive is messy stuff. The SB was far from accurate, as compared to the PMC 55 gr. FMJ, which I use for plinking.

Erratikmind
09-15-10, 21:17
Define accurate? I have been using it the last few sessions we have been out w/o problems. I was punching steel at approx. 293 yards with an 11.5" barrel using an ACOG and a suppressor. YMMV.

This past Labor Day weekend, I had an opportunity to shoot at the Washoe County Shooting Facility, which is just outside of Reno, Nevada. Using PMC 55 gr. FMJ, I was able to consistently punch and spin steel at 350 yards. With the SB 62 gr. HP it was a much more difficult task to hit the same steel, if at all.

If it matters and for clarity, I was shooting my new 16" BCM BFH middy that day. The said has an eotech XPS2-0/3x magnifier combo.

That same session, shooting paper, the PMC yielded 2" groups at 100 yards. The best which I could group with the SB ammo was 3+" groups. Perhaps, it was me settling in on a new gun. However, would it be appropriate to compare my PMC plinking ammo to the SB ammo and coming full circle . . . In your opinion, how does the Hornady compare to the PMC at 100 yards?

I would appreciate any insight on this.

Ned Christiansen
09-16-10, 08:33
A couple weeks ago while test firing a problem carbine, I was using Hornady steel-cased 55's. I was able to get 3" at 100 using an EoTech with no magnifier-- I thought that was pretty dang good for the setup and made me think the stuff would do 2 or maybe even better with a good scope.

I kept close tabs on two guys in two classes in August, each guy fired a min, of 2K each of this stuff and I fired another 450. No probs whatsoever. I didn't 'graph it. It did not seem light or underpowered in any way but it was noticeably less loud, side by side on theline with other guys using other ammo.

Erratikmind
09-16-10, 09:02
Ned, that sounds quite promising. I have yet had an opportunity to shoot the Hornady ammo. However, it appears that it will suit my plinking needs.

Obviously, I am not as initiated, as the large majority of folks here. I just recently, in the past year, started to shoot more frequently. For me, shooting is an excellent way to pass the time in retirement .
These boards have been very helpful and informative to that end.

I trust that you are able to acheive the 2" and better groupings.

Ned Christiansen
09-16-10, 11:24
I hope for the chance in the next month to put some through a couple of known good-groupers with scopes on them.

Iraqgunz
09-16-10, 15:07
I have fired some PMC in the past and it seemed a little weak. For the price I just stick with the Hornady (at the moment). The last case I bought was around 269.00 for 1K.

I am more concerned about minute of perp with my ammo than some type of extreme accuracy. If needed I will pull out my mags with Hornady 75gr. TAP.

This past Labor Day weekend, I had an opportunity to shoot at the Washoe County Shooting Facility, which is just outside of Reno, Nevada. Using PMC 55 gr. FMJ, I was able to consistently punch and spin steel at 350 yards. With the SB 62 gr. HP it was a much more difficult task to hit the same steel, if at all.

If it matters and for clarity, I was shooting my new 16" BCM BFH middy that day. The said has an eotech XPS2-0/3x magnifier combo.

That same session, shooting paper, the PMC yielded 2" groups at 100 yards. The best which I could group with the SB ammo was 3+" groups. Perhaps, it was me settling in on a new gun. However, would it be appropriate to compare my PMC plinking ammo to the SB ammo and coming full circle . . . In your opinion, how does the Hornady compare to the PMC at 100 yards?

I would appreciate any insight on this.

markm
09-16-10, 21:18
Any load that uses the Hornady 55 gr FMJBTW/C is going to perform pretty good if you keep the bullet runout minimal.

Erratikmind
09-18-10, 19:11
To those, whom have recommended the subject Hornady ammo in this and previous threads . . . Thank you very much!

At 100 yards and considering the cost, it is a stellar performer for plinking and perhaps more. At 50 yards . . . Well, after 3 - 10 round mags, I was quickly packing it up and hoping to get a 100 yard bench.

Again, thanks for the honest and unembellished opinions. ;)