PDA

View Full Version : Comments on various vertical fore grips

500grains
07-27-10, 23:36
Here are my comments on a few of the VFGs I have used. Please add your critical comments and remarks to the thread.

1. Larue VFG. Sturdy and easy to use. A bit heavy. Expensive.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/LaRue%20Tactical%20LT-690%20FUG-1.jpg

2. Tango Down. Sturdy and attaches real solid with those spring loaded thingies. Not easy to move around to different slots. A bit heavy.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/TD%20BGV-MK46%20FDE%20%20VPG-1.jpg

3. Daniel Defense. Light. Attaches solidly.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DD-19000-BK-1.jpg

4. GG&G. Light. Chintsy. Would probably break off if stressed. Save your money.

http://www.gggaz.com/thumbs/VertGripInjectedThumb.jpg

6. Grip Pod. Attaches relatively solid. Heavy. Expensive. Too long as a VFG, too short as a bipod. The chance that your reticle will not be canted with the bipod is deployed is quite low. I am sorry I bought one.

http://www.smartgunner.com/ProductImages/grip_pod.jpg

Others?

Troy?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Troy%20VPG%20Mod%20BLACK-1.jpg

Magpul?

http://secure.stormfront-tactical.com/catalog/images/Magpul-RVG.jpg

CQD ?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/CQD%20VPG-1.jpg

Bobro?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Bobro%20Grip%20Shorty-1.jpg

Hmac
07-27-10, 23:43
Magpul...light, sturdy, cheap by comparison. Just the right length to be grabbed, nice shape to be used as a handstop.

Jellybean
07-27-10, 23:53
Add to Grip Pod- annoying screw thing on the side makes it hard to get a comfortable grip.:mad:

A shame, as imho, it's a brilliant overall idea. Probably will play with it to see if I can make it work.

Steve S.
07-28-10, 00:07
I ran a ProMag as my first VFG, and for $9 it was a pretty damn good grip. I had a friend give a first hand report about running it in the sandbox and loving it. The "broomhandle" style is much too long for the thumb break grip i use though. This was my first grip I purchased long ago. It just didn't snug up perfectly though, still had some play.

My brother purchased me a Command Arms (i believe?) folding vertical grip for christmas this last year, which was complete junk. Not only did it wiggle in the folding joint, it wiggled attached to rail, no matter how tight I canked the screw down. It also had finger grooves, which were extremely uncomfortable.

I purchased a Tango Down QD stubby from a friend that I really liked. This this one was damn sturdy. I ended up trading it back for some gear he was selling off.

I currently have a Tapco Intrafuse VFG on the gun. The quality is sub-par, but the lockup is great. The fact that it is water-tight and is set up to hold 2 CR123 or 2 AA batteries without rattling around is great, but I use my Magpul pistol grip for my batteries. I purchased the grip for the detachable bipod that pops in the bottom. My wife is 5'2" so when we go to my range, she has a hard time getting the gun over the lanes, so the bipod (as crappy as it is) helps her shoot the rifles (i throw it on my M&P 15-22 for her also). I got both the VFG and bipod for around $30 so I can't complain too much, and the color matches Magpul's FDE pretty well.

That being said, I've ran Magpul's RVG and it was pretty good. I wish they added a waterproof storage compartment. I just tried out Magpul's AFG, and the Kool-Aid tasted pretty good. f

I'm in the process of looking for another VFG since selling the TangoDown, and I am actually looking at another TangoDown (in FDE) or the Daniel Defense ConVert grip. I like how it functions as a fullsize and stubby. I prefer stubby grips, but a fullsize is nice for running attachments that use pressure switches.

That's my rant on VFG experiences. If you got the dough, buy a TangoDown. If not, the magpul and tapco locked up much tighter than other cheap models. The tapco is longer (and a little heavier), but has flat sides for pressure switches and has the waterproof compartment.

Iraqgunz
07-28-10, 01:05
I put a Troy aluminum grip on my wifes gun and it's very nice for the money.

I personally use the Tango Down with ADM mount and they are probably the best out there for price and easy of installation and removal.

SWATcop556
07-28-10, 03:43
I like the FUG but you are right, it's heavy and expensive. I tried the AFG but it's a no go for me. I want to try the new one from Magpul but I don't have a need for a new one. Like IG said as well the TD with the ADM is also a top contender. It's what I would run if I didn't already have FUG's.

Vinh
07-28-10, 08:09
I only have the Larue, TD stubby, and KAC.

The Larue is nice, but I only shoot with bare hands, so I've been burned enough times that I wouldn't buy another one. Or any quick-detach grip.

I really like the TD (from trying it on other people's guns), but was never able to successfully hammer it on any of my KAC, LT, or DD rails.

So in the end, I've stuck with KAC through the years. Yes, muzzle strikes will break the nub, but I only use vertical grips as an index anyway.

Shane1
07-28-10, 08:26
Ive had my KAC for close to 7 years now. Its light, sturdy and it works. Since then I have bought a Larue, TD and I cant remember the other one. My KAC is still in use as well as the Larue. I got rid of the others as they were not needed. My primary work gun currently has a AFG mounted on it. It works for me and my purposes.

Adam0331
07-28-10, 08:40
I used the KAC for quite a few years as well and really liked it because it is light, easy to move around and sturdy.

I just put the Magpul RVG on my issued M4. I have yet to actually put rounds down range with it but so far it feels right. Using it as hand stop, it is contoured perfectly.

jasonhgross
07-28-10, 08:46
I really like the Tango Down stubby (non QD). I had the Larue and it was nice but much more complex than I needed. I like the non QD TD because I just put it where I want and then let it do its thing. FYI I use I use the thumb break high hold so it's used for more than a hand stop but less than a full grip.

kmrtnsn
07-28-10, 08:50
I have the Troy on mine, I run it in the stubby configuration. The diamond texture is a great gripping surface. I find the thing to be very stoutly built. I just put a Magpul RVG on my wife's build. Great lightweight plastic VFG for the money, not too tall and easily cut down, should the need arise.

Steve S.
07-28-10, 10:10
Not trying to offend anyone by any means (I love KAC's stuff), but I encountered a guy with a KAC VFG at the range the other day on a DPMS. It had the KAC logo on it, but was made of polymer and you could see the lines of being two pieces mated together.

Is this how the actual KAC grip is or a chicom copy? Either way it locked up good and felt sturdy. Probably the tightest broomhandle I've encountered regardless.

Boss Hogg
07-28-10, 11:01
If KAC made a VFG an inch or two shorter than the GI one, that would be the cat's meow. As others have said, light, sturdy, easy to move, etc. I also have a CAA that needs to get more use- the only downside is that you need a screwdrive to move or remove it.

The Troy aluminum one is extremely robust and the texturing is aggressive.

The GripPod seems to be quite prevalent among SF.

NCPatrolAR
07-28-10, 11:35
I'm a big fan of the stubby TD grips. With that being said, I'm currently testing out a DC handstop and am liking it alot.

Stickman
07-28-10, 14:01
I put a Troy aluminum grip on my wifes gun and it's very nice for the money.

I personally use the Tango Down with ADM mount and they are probably the best out there for price and easy of installation and removal.

Looks like Troy dropped the price on their VFG also, which certainly increases its appeal.

gundam83
07-28-10, 14:29
Troy is rock solid. I have mine in the stubby config.

RogerinTPA
07-28-10, 16:17
I have Tango Down VFGs on my ARs and have no issues with the full size. Since they are functional and have some utility as far as storage, I don't think I'll swap them any time soon. That said, if I had to do it again, I'd go with the TD stubbies since I use them primarily as a hand stop.

Sierrahotel83
07-28-10, 16:45
I have used the AFG on a Carbine length rail and I like it but feel that it needs to be on longer rails I have also used the Magpul MOE vertical grip and can say I love it, it mounts quite solid, fairly light and is very comfortable.

SkiDevil
07-28-10, 23:29

I agree. I have tried several and really like the Tango Down models. The quick-detach models are pretty slick.

P.S. The Brobo VFGs are nice too.

chadbag
07-29-10, 00:20
I am not really trying to stick up for the GG&G but I don't think it would break if stressed any more than the other polymer ones. It is machined from "Cold Acetal" and that material is quite sturdy from what I have seen of it.

Here is what they claim about it (from their website)

"Unlike other forward hand grips in the marketplace which are molded or injected plastic, all parts of the GG&G Vertical Foregrip are CNC machined from solid black Acetal cold polymer for durability and low heat absorption. "

Disclaimer: I am not really a long VFG person. I do have one of these on an old BM but it does not get used a lot and if I were to do it over again I would do it differently. Some day I will replace the handguards with MOE ones and put a Magpul MVG on it.

I also have TD full size on another rifle. I am an "equal opportunity" user :)

500grains
07-29-10, 09:36
I am not really trying to stick up for the GG&G but I don't think it would break if stressed any more than the other polymer ones. It is machined from "Cold Acetal" and that material is quite sturdy from what I have seen of it.

The GG&G that I have uses only one little round polymer pin to protrude into a picatinny slot, which is why I think it is weak. The other VFGs I have use either a metal or a plastic rectangular bar to protrude through the picatinny slot, which would be harder to break.

carshooter
07-29-10, 11:20
I've used the KAC, Tango Down, Tango Down Stubby, and a Dieter I got in trade.

I prefer the Tango Down Stubby.

The Dieter is rock solid, but seemed heavy to me.

chadbag
07-29-10, 11:24
The GG&G that I have uses only one little round polymer pin to protrude into a picatinny slot, which is why I think it is weak. The other VFGs I have use either a metal or a plastic rectangular bar to protrude through the picatinny slot, which would be harder to break.

The stress would not fall on that ping in anything but straight on force. The body that "wraps" around the rails would take most of the stress.

You may be right, but that point has never appeared to me to be a weak point in terms of breakage.

Mac5.56
07-29-10, 16:59
I like my Magpul VFG and wouldn't suggest anything more expensive to any entry level shooter. The design of it and the MOE hand guard is flawless and I feel it is a perfect entry level grip. I also have huge monkey hands and I feel like it is the perfect size. Anything longer would be annoying.

My only complaint? I want them to create a plug for it so I can use the space for storage!!!

Zeus
07-29-10, 21:14
I use the Magpul MVG... which is basically molded the same as the counter part used for rails. Works with my big mits... feels better in my hands regardless of the grip I use than all the metal offerings I've tried (yes, almost ALL of them). Granted the photo illustrates the one I use the most. I sound like a broken record with this, but your going to have to get your paws on some to firgure out what works best for you. Like myself, we are going to all tell you what works best for us.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3268-1.jpg

musicman10_1
07-29-10, 23:32
I just bought the Daniel Defense vertical grip. I like it, but it was tough to get on the rail. I had to do quite a bit of filing and ended up using a razor blade to shave some of the plastic down so that it would slide on to my rail. Once on, it feels great to me.

I started with the Magpul AFG and I still like it but wanted to try a more traditional vertical grip and so I picked the Daniel Defense.

N4LtRecce
07-30-10, 20:17
I had a Grip-Pod that was given to me, but ended up selling it as it wasn't particularly good for anything. I've used the AFG and decided that it's not for me. Finally, I've settled on the Daniel Defense VFG. It's a nice, light, sturdy no frills grip that fills the VFG role ideally IMO.

500grains
07-30-10, 22:32
I but it was tough to get on the rail.

I have a tango down (not quick release) which fits fine and another of the same thing that will NOT go on any of my rails. I need to send it back to TD for examination.

jmr
07-31-10, 09:55
I have a Grip-Pod and it works well for shooting off the bench.

blake g
07-31-10, 11:07
I cut my MagPul MRG down to half it's height on the bandsaw and got rid of the rough edges with some 120 grit. I wanted something smaller for an index basically as I don't use it for a real grip. Thus far I'm pleased...

scjbash
07-31-10, 12:46
Clicking on this thread set off a malware warning. It says the source of the malware is secure.stormfront-tactical.com. Anyone else get this?

Caeser25
07-31-10, 17:03
KAC-I love the size and way it feels but a short one would be nice.

Gripod-Bulky, too big for an m4. Good idea, bad execution imho, although it was meant for M249 iirc.

Magpul AFG- Haven't had enough trigger time with it, still on the fence.

Magpul RVG- Chopped mine last nite to about 1/2- 2/3 of its normal size, might be perfect once I stipple it.

N4LtRecce
07-31-10, 17:23
Clicking on this thread set off a malware warning. It says the source of the malware is secure.stormfront-tactical.com. Anyone else get this?

Yes, I got this warning as well. I'm guessing that maybe it's caused by one of the images the OP used.

jsmithy
08-01-10, 15:21
I use the Daniel Defense handle. It is tough and works well, but feels a bit long sometimes.

steeltoe
09-16-10, 23:28
Mako VFG- Love the easy remove attachment, hated the overall design.

Spikes- Awesome lock up. Great options for length and storage. Priced right. Smallest config still adds 6oz to your rail though.

Magpul AFG- Tried it on my Troy 12in rail. Never could "come to grips" with it.

Magpul RVG- Considering trying one. I prefer a VFG to nothing at all but don't want unnecessary weight. Don't need storage since my Emod and Miad have plenty. This RVG may be the ticket. It's tough to repeat hand placement without something on the rail. I find my hand going too far or too close to my light otherwise.

El Cid
09-17-10, 09:00
Just picked up a Troy and am very impressed with the fit and finish. It's for a build that is not yet complete so I haven't shot with it, but I threw it on a sig 556 and it was very solid.

I also have a stubby TD that I like. It's on indefinite loan to a coworker's M4 though. I switched my M4 to an x300 on traditional handguards and the TD was just gathering dust.

Anyone have experience with the graphite VFG's? I am intrigued by the rubber coated surface. Thanks.

http://www.sogarmory.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=101452

THCDDM4
09-17-10, 11:22
I intended to chnage my DD for a troy or magpul; whichever felt right for me. But after a few range visits with the DD grip; I had no reason to get another. It is maybe .5"-.75" too long, but it bothers me not. I just stippled it for a better grip and it is GTG. Very light compared to tthe others I have tried out, and strong as hell.

I was thinking of possibly getting a Magpul AFG to try out, but I'm just not sure it would suit me?

decodeddiesel
09-17-10, 11:44
I have used the Tango Down regular and stubby. I had the TD regular on my issued M4 for some time and it was nice because of the SF tape switch pocket. This was back when I used the "chicken choker" VFG technique. I have since evolved my technique past it. It is a well made piece for sure, but it's heavy and bulky. I ended up selling all of my TD VFGs.

I have used the KAC VFG for years. It is nice and light, easy to take on and off, and well it's made by KAC hahaha. Cons are I have seen the little stopper piece break off very easily, and I wish it was a bit shorter ala the KAC PDW VFG (god lots of acronims there lol). The KAC is probably my favorite at this point.

I have tried the Magpul AFG on a 12" rail and it really seems to shine on the longer rails.

I really want to try the Magpul RVG on my MK18 but I don't think it will be that much better than the KAC that's on there now.

I have also owned 2 Larue FUGs. The Larue FUG is a masterpiece of machining and craftsmanship, just like one would expect from any Larue product. They are very nice, and the ability to go from a stubby to a "standard" length VFG is nice, but as people said they are heavy, expensive, and IMHO overkill. I have one FUG left, it came with my UDE kit. I may sell it I am not sure.

lawusmc0844
09-17-10, 20:29
The Daniel Defense VFG that came with my DDM4 is nice but its a little bulky for me and just did not feel as solid as the others I've tried...

The Grip Pod is great for bench shooting or even on my issued M4 from supported positions but its too bulky, square shape on top prevents comfortable grip and legs don't turn for uneven terrain...

I currently have the Magpul AFG on my BCM BFH and that grip method does work for me. I still like VFGs too though so it won't always be on there.

I've had my issued KAC VFG since I was a PFC. and it is an excellent grip. Light, sturdy, easy to install and remove, it is a winner.

DTHN2LGS
09-18-10, 14:14
I've only used the LaRue FUG in its shortest form and have no complaints. I like the QD feature. I have tried an AFG on a friends gun and liked that too.