PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Blade Knife Search

cmiller683
07-27-10, 23:40
Hey all,

I've been doing a little research for a new fixed blade knife. I currently have a SOG Seal Pup and a KA-Bar Full and Short. The Short version will soon need to be replaced, and that is my main point of aim. Here are my criteria:
Under $150
5" - 6" blade
10" - 12" overall
Non serrated flat ground blade
Versatile sheath, preferably kydex

My main purposes for the knife will be hunting and backpacking. As stated, I have a full sized KA-BAR and am happy with it. I want to give something a little smaller a try. The SEAL Pup is kind of light as far as swing weight goes. I'll be using this knife to start campfires, including bunting (splitting wood), skin game, and pretty much anything you can think of. Immersion is salt water is a likely possibility as well.

I'm currently looking into the RAT ESEE-5 (http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-5.htm) or ESEE-6. I'm also considering buying another KA-BAR short. (https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=1256&mode=search&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Product%20Search%20Results)

Open to any suggestions. Cheers

CMiller

Vic303
07-28-10, 10:09
ESEE makes a great knife, using 1095 steel, like the old KaBars. They use some sort of krinkle-coat to protect the steel, which renders the spine of the blade useless for starting fires--you can only generate sparks off the sharp edge. If you strip the coating off, it will be more prone to rust, but will start fires just fine. Comes with a great warranty--no BS involved.

If salt water immersion is a real possibility, you ought to look at any blade in H1 steel, such as the Spyderco Rock Salt, or the smaller Caspian Salt fixed blades. They cannot rust. However H1 requires some work-hardening of the edge, so it may take a number of resharpenings until your edge stays as sharp as you like for as long as you hope.

Appalachian
07-28-10, 12:06
+1 on the ESEE.
The difference between the RC4 and RC 5 SERE is substantial though. (I know you didnt list the 4 as a choice, just throwing something out there for consideration, own one of each when they were produced under the RC name (not the ontario version), same knives though I believe). The 5 is a monster blade, IMO akin to a short sharp lawnmower blade with a handle. It is bombproof, great for hacking and baton work on wood. Probably not the best choice for game skinning or precise work.
Exposure to saltwater is an unknown for mine, so cant say how they would do in application. Probably not great, but I dont have first hand knowledge either way.

Von Rheydt
08-01-10, 08:45
Mike makes nice knives:

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/knifedetail.asp?kid=46

sjc3081
08-01-10, 09:20
how about this http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/csstoreonline_2117_4313115
Home > 2010 Items !!! > SRK San Mai IIIŽ
SRK San Mai IIIŽ
SRK San Mai III®
Item# SRKSanMaiIII
Product Description

All of the knives featured in our Battle Ready Classics Series have been made by Cold SteelŽ for many years and are well proven in the field as well as in hand to hand combat. Frankly, we have been scratching our heads trying to figure out how we could improve them without drastically raising their price.

The answer was to offer them in our famous San Mai IIIŽ steel. Made in Japan according to our strict standards since the mid 1980's, San Mai IIIŽ has proven unsurpassed in strength, toughness, sharpness and ease of re-sharpening. Over the years, other "super steels" have come and gone but San Mai IIIŽ remains as the most proven high performance stainless steel in the world. If you want a combat knife you can bet your life on, and reasonably priced, check out our Battle Ready

SRK San Mai IIIŽ
2010 New Specifications:
Blade Length: 6"
Overall Length: 10 3/4"
Steel: VG-1 San Mai IIIŽ
Weight: 8.1 oz
Handle: 4 3/4" Long KratonŽ
Sheath: Secure-ExŽ Sheath
Now Available!
$169.99
38CSM

mrbieler
08-01-10, 09:40
A friend of mine, Brian Fellhoelter, made an awesome knife for river rafting/camping that has become very popular with emergency responders and divers because of it's awesome sheath system.

It's a little short of your criteria, but I think it's worth looking at.

He calls it the ECS (Emergency Condiment Spreader). His hand made ones are $300 plus, but he signed up with Timberline to have a mass produced version that is now on the market. Priced from $70 ~ $100 depending on who you find on line or in stores.

AUS8 steel
3 3/4" blade
8" OAL
flat ground tanto blade (I think the spear point is coming out soon)

Here is one for vendor with them ECS-1 (http://www.bladehq.com/item--Timberline-ECS1--6077).

IMHO, the hand mades are simply awesome, but it kills your price point. The Timberline production model will be a solid user.

I know Brian, but I have zero financial connection with this. Just happy for a guy I think makes a great knife (I have his folders too) gain some success.

My ECS is my carry fixed blade for my bug out bag and I grab it for camping trips, etc as well.