PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 96fs Mec-Gar mag problem

Steve S.
07-27-10, 23:51
Ive been running my Beretta 96 since I was 17 (a long time ago), and decided to purchase some new mags. Since factory mags are quite expensive these days, I ordered 3 Mec-Gar 13 round .40 caliber magazines. The overall feel and quality of the mags seems good.

Problem is, the mags won't drop freely with anything past 9 rounds loaded. This is a huge problem for competition. Anyone have any similar issues?

I've heard good reviews about Mec-Gar 96fs mags, but I find it impossible that I have 3 lemons from the same order. Factory mags drop fine from the gun, but I purchased most of them during the AWB, so they are all 10 round magazines (also all made by Beretta).

justin_247
07-28-10, 04:09
Sounds sort of backwards... I would think it should be more difficult to drop freely with anything *less* than a certain number of rounds.

Honestly, my Beretta mags on my 92FS never dropped freely until I used them so much that the finish began seriously wearing off. I've since incorporated mag removal into my manual of arms.

Steve S.
07-28-10, 09:48
I dunno, maybe I worded it bad. It drops free with anything below 9 rounds loaded, but If i put 10, 11, 12, or 13 it won't drop. It's almost like it causes the mag to bulge out. And like I said its all 3, so I don't see it being lemons.

I checked if I had my grips too tight, but its hanging up on the magwell. It begins getting resistance right below where the mag catch would engage. I've thought about manually ripping them, but it adds seconds in comp. Also, it seems like its tearing up my magwell more than the mags.

Already tried to contact Mec-Gar, but I doubt I'll have any luck...

Steve S.
08-09-10, 00:20
Sounds sort of backwards... I would think it should be more difficult to drop freely with anything *less* than a certain number of rounds.

Honestly, my Beretta mags on my 92FS never dropped freely until I used them so much that the finish began seriously wearing off. I've since incorporated mag removal into my manual of arms.

I'm replying more for a bump since the issue isn't resolved and MecGar hasn't responded, but I understand what you mean. The weight dropping the mag easier...

The issue is that when loaded the mag is "bulging" some. Just enough so I have to tear it out on reloads. I've ran plenty of rounds through all 3 magazines, so they are pretty broken in and still have the same issue. Only difference is one of the mags I can squeeze 10 in and it still drops freely.

Hope to get this resolved. The 96 is one of my favorite guns, and one I owe a whole lot to, that I haven't been running lately. Say what you want about the 92/96 platform, but I kinda forgot they are pretty darn accurate out of the box.