PDA

View Full Version : SureFire EarPro Products ... EP3, EP4, or EP6 ... which one?

VolGrad
07-28-10, 08:38
SureFire EarPro Products ... EP3, EP4, or EP6 ... which one?

Anyone ever used these?

http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts

I want to give them a shot and see how they work. It's been so darn HOT this summer I've hated wearing earmuffs on the range. Wearing them all day long at the GSSF match sealed the deal for me. There was a guy on-site doing custom molds for $50 but I didn't want to take the time to have them fitted since I had the whole family and a several other folks with me.

They sell these at Clyde Armory but haven't had them in stock for a while. I am trying to choose which set I want to order.

It appears the EP4 has a slightly better noise reduction but the description also claims they fit better for people with large ear canals. I don't think I have large ear canals and don't think I can "measure" precisely enough to order anything other tham Medium and just see how they work.

The price difference and "other" variable factors seem negligible. So which do I order?

I want these for use during class, on the range, at GSSF matches, etc. I would probably double up with muffs over them for rifle range days as my AR seems much louder than my pistols.

Please share your experience with these products. Please limit the discussion to these or other very similar products. I know lots of people use the 50cent foam inserts. I don't like them as they don't fit me well. I have some regular old 99cent pine cone looking rubber ones too. They work OK but are nothing impressive.

If these work well for me I will get some for my wife too. She hates wearing muffs. I think I could entice her to the range more if I had something like this that worked well and was comfy for her.

Mak8080
07-28-10, 09:23
I have both the EP3 and EP4's. Both work very well and are extremely comfortable. Very low profile and I sometimes forget I have them on.

They do a great job blocking sound. At indoor ranges, I throw on muffs for "double" protection. Some may find that their not enough protection and vice versa. I just find that indoors, it's still a bit loud. I can barely tell a difference between the EP3 and EP4s. I actually find the EP3's a bit more comfortable. I wear mediums and they fit fine. The EP4's seem to tickle my ear canal a bit more since I believe it's a tad bit longer. When I wear them outdoors and I can get away with wearing them without the muffs. They also have a little stopper to help letting voice through. I just keep the stopper in the "in" position.

Overall, for the price.....I'd give 'em a go. :D

VolGrad
07-28-10, 09:32
I've already decided to purchase a pair based on previous reviews but was really undecided between the models. I think your post answered my question .... EP3. If the difference in noise reduction isn't that great then I want whichever is more comfortable.

I rarely shoot indoors so am not worried about that. I am a member of an outdoor club and almost all the classes I've taken have also been outdoors (actually all but 1 have been outdoors).

Let's refocus the question - choose between the EP3 and EP4 based on noise reduction, fit, and comfort.

Keep the opinions coming folks. Thanks.

Complication
07-28-10, 10:21
I can't speak to the EP4s but I do own some EP3s and have used them pretty heavily both indoors and out since I bought them sometime in February.

I find that with those stoppers in, I get sufficient noise reduction indoors and, with them out, sufficient noise reduction outdoors. So as far as noise reduction for gunshots go, I'm not sure the EP4s would do a whole lot for me that the EP3s don't do--though they're almost the same price and both pretty cheap so it wouldn't be tough to just buy a pair of each.

One observation I do have, though...

When someone's talking to me on the line and others are still shooting (i.e. they're talking a little bit louder), I can hear just fine with the EP3s. At a class or something where we'll gather round for some advice before/between shooting strings and the guys with muffs will pop off their ear pro (i.e. everyone's talking at a normal volume), I find I need to pop mine out just slightly to comfortably hear.

It's conceivable that the EP4s might make it a little difficult to hear someone talking, but you'd have to ask someone who owns them (and, if everyone's got their muffs off anyways, I gotta pop the EP3s out, so it doesn't really make a huge difference).

I will say that I personally find them a terrific ear pro option. I don't like muffs to begin with wasn't super excited about shelling out a couple hundred bucks for quality electronic muffs. I find these are generally very comfortable for me although I don't walk around with them in all day--when the shooting stops I pop them out because they're not THAT comfortable.

Complication
07-28-10, 10:23
Also, keep a small stash of q-tips in your range bag. Clean ears go a long way to keep these babies clean.

Looey
07-28-10, 10:29
I use a set of EP4 right now.
They work great for rifle caliber, even fully automatic crew served weapons(.51 caliber russian made NSV) without taking all of your hearing capabilities. you can still carry a conversation without having to yell.
I haven't worn them indoors. but if they worked that well for the NSV i think they will be fine indoors, plus they are small enough that i keep them in my utility pouch in plate carrier.

cynical
07-28-10, 11:24
EP3s didn't work worth a damn for me, EP4s are great. While Surefire gives some guidance as to how to select the size, I really think the only way to tell if you should get EP3s or EP4s is to try them.

FWIW, I use medium EP4s, the EP3s didnt give much of a seal in my ear canal at all. I tried medium EP3s, then when those didn't work I got a pair of large EP4s. Of course, I found that the size large was too big and very uncomfortable, but the larger plug in the EP4 was what I needed. Fortunately, you can swap the outer piece easily enough.

So measure your ear as Surefire describes, and take a guess as to whether or not you need the 3 or the 4. If you really need them to work right away, and can't take the time to wait for a second order to come in, get a medium pair of EP3s and a large pair of EP4s (or vice versa). That way you have it all covered, and can swap parts around as you need.

That said, anyone interested in a slightly used pair of EP3s, size large, going cheap? ;)

cynical
07-28-10, 11:27
Forgot to mention, the little plug in the middle that you can leave open or closed makes a BIG difference. And it's a lot easier to open that little plug for a conversation, then close it back up, than it is to take the whole thing out and replace it. Not to mention you still have some protection with the plug open.

VolGrad
07-28-10, 12:23
Cynical ... so for clarification ... do you think the EP4 ran larger than the EP3?

Since SureFire says Medium should fit most people I think I will order a Medium EP3. If I order a Medium EP4 for comparison do you think they will be too large?

cynical
07-28-10, 12:47
Cynical ... so for clarification ... do you think the EP4 ran larger than the EP3?

Since SureFire says Medium should fit most people I think I will order a Medium EP3. If I order a Medium EP4 for comparison do you think they will be too large?

Medium and Large are independent of EP3 vs EP4. The EP3 has a two flange stem, the EP4 has a longer, three flange stem. Medium vs Large refers to the outer piece that holds the plug in place in your ear. A Large EP3 will have the same size outer portion (don't remember what that part is called) as a Large EP4. Same with Medium.

The Surefire site gives guidelines on measuring for Medium vs. Large. If your measurement seems vague or in between two sizes get the smaller of the two. A bit too small wont make a difference, but too large will be quite uncomfortable.

VolGrad
07-28-10, 12:51
Exactly what I needed to know regarding the size. Thanks for that clarification. I might have to order both EP3 and EP4 and just compare them myself. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra set on hand I guess.

Keep the replies coming please.

Hmac
07-28-10, 14:56
I have a pair of EP3's as well as some Impact Sports, but I do recommend custom molded earpieces. Those things are pretty simple and should be readily available from most audiologists/hearing aid places. Should cost about $30 depending on what insert you're looking at. Noise reducing filters can be a little more - likewise a tube or earpiece insert for a walkie.

CyberM4
07-28-10, 15:59
I've been using the EP3. Comfortable for me. I can't tell you how they work outdoors. But indoors with the cheap earmuffs works. Plus when I'm done shooting. I take the earmuffs off. Plus I can hear people talk at the indoor range with just the EP3.

neo9710
07-28-10, 16:47
Heres a question - would you wear these in an active shooter situation? Im a LEO and have been contemplating putting them in my setup. Once gunfire starts indoors, I dont want to go deaf!!

CyberM4
07-28-10, 21:34
I'm sure they would better than having nothing. That's if one has the time too put them in.

Jer
07-29-10, 13:58
n00b question: Are these electronic ear protection that is basically always 'on' and that's why they last 6mos or so? Like the battery and everything is sealed up and there's no on/off switch is why they last a matter of months? Basically disposable, right?

VolGrad
07-29-10, 14:02
n00b question: Are these electronic ear protection that is basically always 'on' and that's why they last 6mos or so? Like the battery and everything is sealed up and there's no on/off switch is why they last a matter of months? Basically disposable, right?

No. These are NOT electronic devices in any way. There are no batteries. There is no "ON".

They are just plugs with some sort of Hock's Noise Brake device (whatever that is) that helps with the sound reduction while still allowing normal convo. I have literally no idea how the tech works but guess it is some sort of cool valve.

They are probably considered disposable simply because of the material they are made of.

rob_s
07-29-10, 14:09
So what's the story with the 6s?

cynical
07-29-10, 14:34
So what's the story with the 6s?

I think they're the same as EP3s, just colored black and with $1 more marketing hype.

http://www.surefire.com/EP6-SignatureSeries

Jer
07-29-10, 14:54
No. These are NOT electronic devices in any way. There are no batteries. There is no "ON".

They are just plugs with some sort of Hock's Noise Brake device (whatever that is) that helps with the sound reduction while still allowing normal convo. I have literally no idea how the tech works but guess it is some sort of cool valve.

They are probably considered disposable simply because of the material they are made of.

Ok, that's makes more sense now. I thought they were just simple ear plugs (especially for the price) but then when I say they had an 'expire' date I was thrown off. A while back I was thinking how awesome it would be to make some in-ear style electric ear pro and was thinking this was it. That was when I saw the high price tag and then upon further reading I realized that was for multi-packs.

Hmac
07-29-10, 15:46
Ok, that's makes more sense now. I thought they were just simple ear plugs (especially for the price) but then when I say they had an 'expire' date I was thrown off. A while back I was thinking how awesome it would be to make some in-ear style electric ear pro and was thinking this was it. That was when I saw the high price tag and then upon further reading I realized that was for multi-packs.

These (http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/westone-hunters-style-39.html) work well. I don't know if they work well enough to justify the price difference between them and Surefires, but they are a lot more comfortable.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/earplugstore_2113_84904755

ap1220
07-29-10, 18:38
Another user of the EP3's here. I have not used them indoors but I have used them outdoors with my pistol and rifle(m14), and an m16 range at work with no problems. I was kinda worried at first but was quickly glad I bought them. I would though if used indoors double up though. (sighs), I still need a good pair of ear muffs though.