PDA

View Full Version : Critique my workout.

FireandFlames
07-28-10, 13:45
Little background, I'm trying to prepare myself for the Marine Corps. I think I may be overtraining since I do pretty much this exact same workout daily. I'm 18yo, 190lbs, 6'0''.
Open to any suggestions to help me get stronger.

Bench 135 4 sets of 12 reps.
Curl 90 4 sets of 8 reps.
Then this is my core body workout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDZRogSbbU&feature=grec_index&videos=8_TcziygjE8

Then I do a pyramid of pullups that starts at 1 and goes up to 6 then back to 1 with 10 pushups after each set.
Then I cool down and drink a protein shake.

vaglocker
07-28-10, 15:08
If I were you I would concentrate on functional fitness. You should be running a lot as well as doing a lot of push-ups and pull-ups. I also recommend doing some kettle bell training, and if you are a glutton for punishment do lots and lots of burpees. If you can build up to the point of doing one hundred burpees in one set you will be an animal.

jasonhgross
07-28-10, 15:20
For the Marine Corp, others can better comment on that than I can. If you want to get stronger, I suggest getting the book Brawn, or its current iteration, with a much longer title. It's written by Stuart Mcrobbert. It helped me allot over the years, and I keep going back to it. In all, I suggest an abbreviated routine centered around the squat, deadlift, bench press, dips, bent over rows, and overhead press. But you must concentrate on form and proper rest in between your work days.

Also, throw out the curls, get back to basics. Ignore all the trendy routines that are popular right now.

500grains
07-28-10, 15:30
I think I may be overtraining since I do pretty much this exact same workout daily.

1. Weight training should be every other day. NOT every day. When you lift weights, you cause tiny tears in the muscle fibers. When the tiny tears grow back together, they fiber is stronger, and your muscles are stronger. When you lift every day, you keep tearing the fibers without a chance for them to heal, so in the long run you will actually lose strength.

If you want to lift every day, do legs one day and upper body the next.

The bench press is actually quite a dangerous exercise. Lots of guys blow out the front of their shoulders by working the bench press too hard. If you want to bench press, that is fine, but add deltoid raises, upright rowing, bent rowing, flyes, military press, etc. FORM IS EVERYTHING. Not only does good form ensure that the correct muscles benefit from the exercise, but correct form will help you to avoid injury while poor form almost guarantees injury.

2. Pull ups and push ups are great, keep at it. But they are like weight lifting - every other day for strength building.

3. More running. More running. More running. You do not need to sprint. Just try to build your distance without high impact (NO RUNNING DOWN HILLS! NO RUNNING WITH WEIGHT!). If you tire or running, add an aerobics class or an hour on an elliptical. Do not go for intensity of workout. Build endurance with a mid-level run or other cardio workout that is about an hour long.

4. Add swimming. Seems I heard something about Marines landing on beaches or something like that... :D

5. Do cardio TWICE A DAY. For example, a 5 mile run in the morning, an hour in the gym lifting after the run, and an hour in the pool or on the elliptical in the evening. You can train cardio twice a day every day as long as you are not going after a maximum intensity workout.

6. If you can find a place to climb a rope or climb a peg board, all the better.

7. Get a really bitchy girl friend so that you will get used to people yelling at you for little or no reason.

Good idea on the protein shake. Don't tempt the body to burn its own muscle for energy.